Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Oct. 22 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 22 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a busy week last week and am just now reading the thread.

Scheherezade, I have rollers and have never quite mastered them, but the short amounts of time I can ride on them they are WAY more fun than the trainer! How do you like them?

MM, I know you didn't do the Detroit race, but it does sound super neat. We have a similar race in Maine that you get to run over a bridge to Canada (and back).

Dr. C, how were your tests? Belated congrats on your tri podium.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals for this week
swim 4x
ride at least twice
long run
run speed workout of intervals shorter than a mile

I rode more than twice! That's all I managed to meet for goals - I had family here Thurs through now (Dad flies back tomorrow) and I chose time with them over working out. Duh :D

M: 9 mi run + 1200 yd swim
T: 5.8 mi run + 9 mi bike
W: 5.3 mi run + 6 mi bike
T: 5.5 mi run
F: fun swim/ w dad and brother at college pool, playing on 1m and 3m diving boards.
S: 6.7 mi run + 825 yd swim
S: off

totals 2075 yd swim, 15 mi bike, 32.3 mi run

My family had/is having a great time visiting me and I am having a great time with them.

Goals for this week: 5 swims, at least two rides, run speed workout intervals shorter than a mile, long run

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A work trip to New York had been planned last week and they told me I didn't have to go, but it was a good diversion. I got to have dinner with my former co-worker whom I am still good friends with. And, I got to eat my annual real NY bagel.

Mon. 10/15 - Trainer 30 min. a little yoga before bed
Tue. 10/16 - Fly to NYC early; work all day; dinner (11,647 steps at least)
Wed. 10/17 - NYC work all day - work dinner (7,052 steps)
Thur. 10/18 - Fly back from NYC + errands, catch up from being away (6,261 steps)
Fri. 10/19 - Swim 2,100 SCY
Sat. 10/20 - Weights
Sun. 10/21 - Yoga
Total time - 3:53

The rest of the fall and winter will be getting stronger in the gym and losing body fat. Swimming I'm liking a lot right now. The bike - hopefully it won't be too cold but I'm planning a long weekend for the Tour of Palm Springs in early February.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
MM, I know you didn't do the Detroit race, but it does sound super neat. We have a similar race in Maine that you get to run over a bridge to Canada (and back).
Hmmm, I may have to make a trip out to Maine. There is a race up in Sault Ste. Marie (way up in the upper peninsula) that apparently runs on the International Bridge to Canada and back as well. That would be a fun goal, to do all the international races between the U.S. and Canada. (Maybe there are only these three? haha)

Decent week last week, not as monster as the week before, but still good. Three trainer rides, two runs (I got rained out on my Friday evening speed run for the second week in a row and couldn't be arsed to do anything else anyway), a swim, a bit of PT, and some yoga. We skipped fall and landed smack into winter last week with our first snow and lots of cold and wind. I was glad not to be running the Freep Sunday morning, but did go out for a few miles later in the day after it warmed up a tiny bit.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr TC - I'm too scared to try them out! They're currently hanging out on the floor between my trainer and the rowing machine and I throw the occasional quick glance their way. I have tried them once before when my friend brought them over and I wasn't even able to get going - that was some years ago though so maybe I should try again?

Managed to hit all my workouts for last week, goals are the same again this week: 4 x swim (1 done), 3 x bike (1 done), 3 x run, 2 x strength. I should also get my fall yard tidy up done while the weather is still mostly nice.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 22 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I first got rollers I put them between a couch and a wall. That way I knew I couldn't fall over. Put the bike in a big-ish gear and start pedallling - the more momentum you have, the easier it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dr. TC! I am happy to not have ended my very short tri season on a totally bad note. I hope you're having a great week with your family!

I hope everyone is having a good week so far. I'm in a bit of a time warp since I got back home from Chicago at 3am today. It feels like 1pm on Thursday. Do not want.

Scheherezade, I've seen people get used to rollers by setting them up in a doorframe so they could hold on from both sides, then one side, then no sides while still having a way to catch themselves. They look like fun.

Quote:
This week's goals: Pass my tests :)

And I did! I was completely nervous about these baseline tests. I was slightly ridiculous and also slightly anxious to see what kind of fitness I really have right now. But all in all, it was a good week. If anyone's curious (and for my own accountability), here's where I am:

1000yd swim TT: 1:45/100 pace
Bike LT HR: 188bpm

Bike FTP: 156
Run LT HR: 188bpm (weird that it's the same as the bike)
Run pace for 30min: 8:15/mi.

Not bad, but obviously not where I want to be with my pretty lofty goals for next year.

This week's goal: Get back into the swing of things:

M- rest and travel (nailed it)

Tu- 61min trainer ride and 20min run (done!)
W- 2100yd swim with LOTS of drills, and upper body strength
Th- 30min bike warmup and 6mi run
F- 2400yd swim and lower body strength
Sa- 62mi bike ride (or 50 on the trainer since it's going to be crappy out)
Su- 8mi run

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 22 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree.

I started with rollers between the door.
Big gear
Don't look down at the front wheel (you will really want to)
Don't watch the Tour de France mountain stages until you get used to it!

When I was bike racing and especially the velodrome, I rode the rollers daily. The fixed gear bike was the easiest. The tri bike was the hardest. On the track (fixed) bike, I got to where I could ride sitting up no hands forever.

It's one of those things where a little bit every day is best - keep practicing.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started Dr. Tigerchik -- good job prioritizing family and also getting on your bike.
You're in a good spot, Dr. Cupcake -- I think it's awesome you shared your benchmarks, have you also shared your goals? I've got to get around to testing in the next few weeks as well.
Scheherazade, nice work last week :flexing emoji:
Midtown, I did the UP race over the International Bridge in college. It's a fun race but if I went back to the UP I think I'd just in a chair on a porch with a beer and a sleeping dog at my feet ... I love it UP there :D
ironclm, as a New Yorker in SoCal, I support your decision to only eat bagels while in New York. I hope you're doing as well as you can be. Thinking of you.

I've never been on rollers but I'd like to try them .... while carefully wedged between two couches and wearing a helmet.

I'm doing fine, my very last day of PT was yesterday (WOO!) and I'm chipping away at my workouts. I am doing another local race this weekend to keep working on the mental side of returning to racing now that it seems like 2/3rds of the physical side is getting sorted.

Happy training, y'all!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 22 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on graduating from PT! That's an awesome achievement!

My goal next year is to take at least an hour off of my IM PR. I have two chances to do it, between IMTX and IMMD. If I can somehow make some steady gains across all three by IMMD, I have a shot at top 10 in my AG at IMMD. And I can't believe I just typed that out loud and now I'm going to to breathe into a paper bag for a while.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 22 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brave athletes set big goals, way to go!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 22 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the roller advice ladies - when I get on there you will be the first to know. And like SoCal mentioned a helmet indoors is a real possibility!

I'm thinking I should have started when I was younger and had less fear - have you seen this 10 yo - Ruby Isaac? https://www.youtube.com/...TThfdubpdYnKA/videos
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still looking for the same “high” I would get from a great ride. Post surgery I picked up yoga this week and am hiking. Not bad but cycling.
Quote Reply