Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New 51 Speedshop Aerobar!
Quote | Reply
Notice on the new Dimond

https://51-speedshop.com/...er-aero-bar-system-1

Bar Features
  • Nearly invisible to the wind, due to the proven Kamm-Tail airfoil design, and unyielding to even the strongest sprint induced torque.
  • Radial shaping of the pursuit bar, combined with a 5 degree up tilt gives the rider greater control over the bike.
  • Unique "mono-riser" mounting system allows height adjustment, angulation and stack adjustment through a simple 2 bolt design.
  • Three unique extension shapes based on rider preference.
  • Carbon reinforced nylon pad holder provides rigidity and support.
  • Proprietary arm pad provides the ideal amount of surface area and cushion.
  • Debossed channels allow airflow to aid in cooling.
  • Arm pad width adjusts from 142mm - 255mm by utilizing one of the two included wing options.
  • Arm pad stack up to 60mm and reach by 50mm
  • All hardware is corrosion resistant stainless steel.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Oct 11, 18 8:10
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
  • Unique "mono-riser" mounting system allows height adjustment, angulation and stack adjustment through a simple 2 bolt design.

Released 12 months after TriRig Alpha One...super unique. Looks like a nice bar though.
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does look very nice. Perhaps it has different features than the TriRig version?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really dig these, and I think a lot of thought has gone into the shape of the aerobar extensions. What is the approximate cost? Couldn't find that info on the site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO RELEASE THE ARM CUPS???????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmtoScAFx-2/?taken-by=51speedshop

Looks like same bar they have used with factor for the TT bikes
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get that you could see it this way...it did take him a long time to bring these to market...but he had these on Factor bikes in early 2017...so I think it was a unique idea...it wasn’t “born” from seeing anything from tri rig...I don’t believe

I know I saw images of this bar back in May of 2017 on the factor bikes...
Last edited by: zooropa: Oct 12, 18 16:44
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t get the hype with these extensions...they look nice and I’m sure they are nice but they pretty much look like....wait for it....extensions
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 12, 18 17:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anybody else think that 110mm rise with flat armrests is a little too much?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of the Felt Bayonet 3 Devox...
Great bar!
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Does anybody else think that 110mm rise with flat armrests is a little too much?

I have evo110 on my vuka stealth without any issues and you can only add about 3° of tilt up or down and it's perfectly fine for me

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
YES!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These look Super interesting and timely since I'm thinking about building up a new bike.

Any idea on when they will actually be available for sale?

Any other specs you can share? i.e. weight?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"110mm rise to promote aerodynamics" is probably not true most of the time. I am in the Desert Dude corner on this one after listening to him for years and seeing it with my own eyes in the tunnel a couple weeks ago. Higher hands are slower for 80% of triathlon speed riders. Now, as a fitter, higher hands are almost universally more comfortable, but I have scaled back a bit and now try to limit riders to 3-5 degrees of tilt and only if they are significantly more comfortable there than flat.
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the high hands issue - I know that higher hands might be slower, but besides comfort, isn’t it also easier to faciliate a “shrug” with the hands/arms angled slightly up? My thought - based on fit changes and speed increases this year - is that if you’re getting your head significantly lower than you’re probably more than offsetting the increases drag from higher hand position.

Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
.....Higher hands are slower for 80% of triathlon speed riders. Now, as a fitter, higher hands are almost universally more comfortable, but I have scaled back a bit and now try to limit riders to 3-5 degrees of tilt and only if they are significantly more comfortable there than flat.

“Triathlon speed riders”. So would this mean that a 30mph wind tunnel would not be valid for slower riders? As in, “the air flow at 30mph reacts differently than the air flow at 20mph”? Like, “at 30mph, hands high pushes the air around your body but at 20mph, the air reattaches before it gets to your body”?

Yes, lots of questions and assumptions without being a physicist like many people on this forum.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
FindinFreestyle wrote:
.....Higher hands are slower for 80% of triathlon speed riders. Now, as a fitter, higher hands are almost universally more comfortable, but I have scaled back a bit and now try to limit riders to 3-5 degrees of tilt and only if they are significantly more comfortable there than flat.

“Triathlon speed riders”. So would this mean that a 30mph wind tunnel would not be valid for slower riders? As in, “the air flow at 30mph reacts differently than the air flow at 20mph”? Like, “at 30mph, hands high pushes the air around your body but at 20mph, the air reattaches before it gets to your body”?

Yes, lots of questions and assumptions without being a physicist like many people on this forum.

Different yaw angles at 20mph than at 30mph.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
110mm tested fastest for me. It is not really a very extreme hands high position. But it is about the max you can go with and still be UCI compliant.

But you do need to find a way to angle the arm rests, I bought some 10 degree wedges from a chap in the UK who 3D prints them for most of the common base bars. The wedges made the 110mm rise very comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
"110mm rise to promote aerodynamics" is probably not true most of the time. I am in the Desert Dude corner on this one after listening to him for years and seeing it with my own eyes in the tunnel a couple weeks ago. Higher hands are slower for 80% of triathlon speed riders. Now, as a fitter, higher hands are almost universally more comfortable, but I have scaled back a bit and now try to limit riders to 3-5 degrees of tilt and only if they are significantly more comfortable there than flat.

Huh. I'm trying to square ^that^ generalization up with the generalization ("all" ... "certainly" ... majority" ... etc) from ERO at http://www.ero-sports.com/...r-more-comfort-speed:

All the aero testing we've conducted with different arm angles, there's certainly no doubt the majority of athletes, the overwhelming majority, in fact, find an aerodynamic savings from an upward tilt to their forearms. Sometimes it's a modest gain; other times, the gains are quite significant...almost unbelievable. I decided to test different forearm angles for myself. Below you'll see the three different arm positions I tried both for comfort and aerodynamics.

Help?
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [cgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cgrubb wrote:
But you do need to find a way to angle the arm rests, I bought some 10 degree wedges from a chap in the UK who 3D prints them for most of the common base bars. The wedges made the 110mm rise very comfortable.

That's what I mean. If they are going to have 110mm extensions, the wedges should be standard.
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
Huh. I'm trying to square ^that^ generalization up with the generalization ("all" ... "certainly" ... majority" ... etc) from ERO at http://www.ero-sports.com/...r-more-comfort-speed:

All the aero testing we've conducted with different arm angles, there's certainly no doubt the majority of athletes, the overwhelming majority, in fact, find an aerodynamic savings from an upward tilt to their forearms. Sometimes it's a modest gain; other times, the gains are quite significant...almost unbelievable. I decided to test different forearm angles for myself. Below you'll see the three different arm positions I tried both for comfort and aerodynamics.

The purported reason for the discrepancy is that Jim tests only on the track at low yaw, and "high hands" are not beneficial at higher yaw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
davetallo wrote:

The purported reason for the discrepancy is that Jim tests only on the track at low yaw, and "high hands" are not beneficial at higher yaw.

Oh now you've gone and done it--bring on the yaw debate.
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
FindinFreestyle wrote:

Help?
I asked Jim if he could explain in the Rohan Denis thread after winning the tt world title why the cyclists with limit fit restrictions why they seemed to be adopting raising the hands more so than the top Ironman athletes but he chose not to respond. I'm curious because I've just gone up and won't go back down more based on comfort.
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. it's more comfortable

2. it's faster, for some

3. it "shortens" the arms, ie. they're not quite as maxed out on the UCI reach requirements. There's a stack limit too though

Shambolic wrote:
davetallo wrote:
FindinFreestyle wrote:

Help?

I asked Jim if he could explain in the Rohan Denis thread after winning the tt world title why the cyclists with limit fit restrictions why they seemed to be adopting raising the hands more so than the top Ironman athletes but he chose not to respond. I'm curious because I've just gone up and won't go back down more based on comfort.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
raising the hands in and of themselves is not the point. That's why high hands are slower for most.

FindinFreestyle wrote:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply

Prev Next