Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Defect in New Shiv Tank?
Quote | Reply
Did anyone notice on Gomez's bike he has the water tank taped all over the top? I would think the only reason you would do that is if you don't think the top will stay on, but maybe there's another reason. I would assume that Specialized would have sorted it for him before the race if they able to, since this was basically the launch of the new bike.

Thoughts?

https://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id=2018_10_Ironman_Hawaii_Race_Day&num=18
Quote Reply
Re: Defect in New Shiv Tank? [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lucy Charles had the lid flapping in the wind for most of the ride so I can only imagine.
Quote Reply
Re: Defect in New Shiv Tank? [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Macho Grande wrote:
Lucy Charles had the lid flapping in the wind for most of the ride so I can only imagine.

So that's what that was! I saw something flapping around, but I wasn't sure if it was the tank or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sarah True had her lid taped down as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In theory it's a fine idea, but this version of the tank is even more unusable than that on the Gen 1 Shiv. You can't fill it on the fly and putting an H2O rack back there probably affect the aerodynamics. Id guess the IP considerations are such that they could not put a tool kit or whatever else back there. Pity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you look at previous few photos you can also see considerable evidence of some kind of spillage down the side. Could have been some kind of training mishap, though, and not a defect

But it does raise a question I had that may have already been answered about this thing. If you lay the bike down with a full load, does it spill? E.g. sometimes you can flat in the middle of the desert (or Queen K) with nothing to prop the bike against. So you have to lay it down.

Edit: OK, Tim Don and Lucy Charles also have evidence of spillage. And Tim Don looks like he has a bottle wedged between his saddle and the lid. And it doesn't really look like that was an *intentional* placement. It looks like it was wedged there. Am I wrong?

At first I thought the OP was just hate-mongering. But now I'm starting to agree. It looks like there might be a spillage issue. Maybe hitting bumps, etc. And it's not great that the spillage can go right onto the drivetrain. A sugary RD isn't going to be ideal.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 14, 18 12:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty common with the SC draft box. Just insurance. Especially if u stuff it full.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't call it a defect, I'd just call it triathletes being weird as they always are. But as I said I didn't like it in the Shiv 2019 and new bikes thread as I loved the downtube fuselage location as that was full integration.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The biggest blunder was the space between her and that rear water bottle. She needs fit/optimization help.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Defect in New Shiv Tank? [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it will be interesting to see what changes she takes for 2019. She is you but clearly a generational talent however there is some grumbling about her coach not being at her level and a closed minded attitude to change. She runs the risk of being the triathlon equivalent of Raymond Poulidor if she doesn't make some changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why test a new product at this race? Would you play with a new prototype of clubs at the Masters?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the price of the bike you would think that Specialized could get the damn lid right.
Quote Reply
Re: Defect in New Shiv Tank? [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree here. I’ll never understand why pros allow themselves to be beta testers when it matters most. Well, I sorta get it-sponsors....but must be maddening to them.
Quote Reply
Re: Defect in New Shiv Tank? [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:
Why test a new product at this race? Would you play with a new prototype of clubs at the Masters?

I believe it was Lucy Charles who said that she's had the bike for a few months, so I suspect others have as well. If there is a problem with the lid, then I bet they've known about it for a while, but it was probably too close to the race to get a production ready replacement out to the athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD will be all over this one 😉
Quote Reply
Re: Defect in New Shiv Tank? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
BryanD will be all over this one 😉

That'll probably be tomorrow when the working week starts and he clocks in for his shift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
Did anyone notice on Gomez's bike he has the water tank taped all over the top? I would think the only reason you would do that is if you don't think the top will stay on, but maybe there's another reason. I would assume that Specialized would have sorted it for him before the race if they able to, since this was basically the launch of the new bike.

Thoughts?

https://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id=2018_10_Ironman_Hawaii_Race_Day&num=18

Based on all their sponsored riders either using tape to hold the lid down, not using tape and having it flapping open, missing filling the reservoir on camera, having Tim Don jam a bottle between his seat and reservoir, Sarah True have hers taped down with no rear bottle only a BTA and everyone else having theirs on a bracket that was so far behind them it would be tough to handle and negate any supposed aero benefit of having the behind seat reservoir there. I would say it was a total design flaw and PR disaster for Specialized.

https://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id=2018_10_Ironman_Hawaii_Race_Day&num=294
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Macho Grande wrote:

I hope she had that lid secured before she "relieved" herself during the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apologies if you watched it, but Lucy attempted to put some fluids into ‘The Fin’ after Hawi special needs, couldn’t get it in and dropped the bottle whilst attempting it, the overhead footage were showing her clearly. So she had the lid open from there, and I’m guessing there was some spillage there too.

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply
Re: Defect in New Shiv Tank? [undies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, she tried to stick it in her rear bottle cage and dropped it
Quote Reply
Re: Defect in New Shiv Tank? [undies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
undies wrote:
Apologies if you watched it, but Lucy attempted to put some fluids into ‘The Fin’ after Hawi special needs, couldn’t get it in and dropped the bottle whilst attempting it, the overhead footage were showing her clearly. So she had the lid open from there, and I’m guessing there was some spillage there too.

Nope... it was open way before that, almost from beginning of the bike.
Look at the video on Ironman Now Pro Part 1 tons of side view like the one below :

Quote Reply
Re: Defect in New Shiv Tank? [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to say that too. It was flapping open from almost the beginning of the bike ride.

IMO, while not a disaster overall, this was really a poor showcase for the tank from a realistically usable hydration system beyond the initial fluids and any aero benefits of it were totally negated by flapping lids, tape, and BTS solutions too far back due to the tank in the way.

Specialized is going to be digging out of this hole for a while. They really need to revisit this concept before it hits showroom floors. I'm all for nerds inheriting the earth but does Specialized not have a single person in a non-techie role that could have just said, "Hey guys, while you all are circle jerking about your wind tunnel and CFD simulations of this tank, nobody can refill the damn thing and the fucking lid won't stay on. Oh, and since nobody can refill it, they are slapping bottle cages 12" away from their bodies for more water. So rider on in real world scenarios the aerodynamics of the thing really don't play out."

As I said in the other thread. I have no issues with the bike beyond the impractical nature of the tank.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Defect in New Shiv Tank? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

Specialized is going to be digging out of this hole for a while. They really need to revisit this concept before it hits showroom floors.

I agree. The cleverest thing done was Braden Currie's beer bong funnel-and-hose system. But that he had to go to such lengths - possibly during race week itself - doesn't reflect well on the original design. And the system is the same size, effectively, as a full behind-the-saddle carrier. At which point you have to ask, "What's the point?"

It's ironic that there was all this intense secrecy, embargoes, etc, to carefully orchestrate the public release. And the end result of that is all their pros in full public view with lids flapping, electric-taped lids, sugary spillage down the side of every tank, and a beer bong.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 15, 18 6:55
Quote Reply
Re: Defect in New Shiv Tank? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His solution is actually genius. If you can snap that little blue lid off on the on course water bottles and have his cut out bottle hold the on course bottle as it fills up the reservoir . Kinda like a water cooler. of course would only work with water bottles that could fit into the cutout water bottle.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: Defect in New Shiv Tank? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
It's ironic that there was all this intense secrecy, embargoes, etc, to carefully orchestrate the public release. And the end result of that is all their pros in full public view with lids flapping, electric-taped lids, sugary spillage down the side of every tank, and a beer bong.

I'm not a fan of the staunchy UCI, but I bet someone from the UCI watching this would be laughing their ass off.
Quote Reply

Prev Next