Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts
Quote | Reply
A few notes in random order...

1. 2018 - 41 IM’s and 110 70.3.

2. 2019 - 41 IM’s and 117 70.3 with new races in Oman, Greece, Russia and India.

3. Women makeup 28% racing Kona this year.

4. 2471 athletes racing Sat. Highest ever.

5. 225,000 distinct athletes raced an IM this year.

6. IM participation up just over 10% in 2018 versus 2017.

7. Next years 70.3 WC in Nice, FR has the highest “take slot rate” of any 70.3 WC to date.

8. Facebook coverage of this years race is 20 consecutive hours starting at 4:30 am HST.

9. Taupo, NZ site of 70.3 WC last weekend in Nov 2020
Last edited by: Skyline Chili: Oct 11, 18 19:19
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [Skyline Chili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really hope the Facebook feed works out...... #nervous
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [Skyline Chili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the summary!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#7 Meaning that for the 70.3 races so far this yeair that gives slots to Nice 2019, they have seen the lowest amount of "roll downs" ever for a 70.3 WC?
Makes good sense. Fantastic vacation destination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skyline Chili wrote:

2. 2019 - 41 IM’s and 117 70.3 with new races in Oman, Greece, Russia and India.

Already got my eye on Oman.

Nice holiday destination and the better half can go and do some diving which makes me feel less guilty about the race!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
#7 Meaning that for the 70.3 races so far this year that gives slots to Nice 2019, they have seen the lowest amount of "roll downs" ever for a 70.3 WC?
Nice statistic. I assume that this year's in SA had a high roll down due to the location and probably lower than normal "countries represented".

I would think the just announced 70.3 2020 in NZ, will have the highest % ever of roll down entries and lowest countries represented do to the difficulty and costs of travelling there from ...just about anywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
#7 Meaning that for the 70.3 races so far this yeair that gives slots to Nice 2019, they have seen the lowest amount of "roll downs" ever for a 70.3 WC?

Yes. I stated it as I did above because that’s how Andrew phrased it.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has been very reliable all season. Much more so than when it was previously streamed via Ironman website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skyline Chili wrote:

Will there be more discussion on ST starting tomorrow about the record no. of AGers riding in the draft zone or Gomez and Lange riding in the draft zone? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
lassekk wrote:
#7 Meaning that for the 70.3 races so far this year that gives slots to Nice 2019, they have seen the lowest amount of "roll downs" ever for a 70.3 WC?
Nice statistic. I assume that this year's in SA had a high roll down due to the location and probably lower than normal "countries represented".

I would think the just announced 70.3 2020 in NZ, will have the highest % ever of roll down entries and lowest countries represented do to the difficulty and costs of travelling there from ...just about anywhere.

Having been to NZ, it’s worth the long flight.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [r-b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Relying on a free, stable technical platform was a genius idea.

I'm sure Facebook (and in turn, brands like WTC) will figure out a way to monetize video content in a subscription based service - but that pivot hasn't yet come.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [evokevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
evokevin wrote:
SayHey Kid wrote:
lassekk wrote:

Having been to NZ, it’s worth the long flight.

^This.

And thanks Skyline for the notes.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [fierceSun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will also be on nbcsports.com and I believe redbull.tv as well as FB.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Skyline Chili wrote:

Will there be more discussion on ST starting tomorrow about the record no. of AGers riding in the draft zone or Gomez and Lange riding in the draft zone? :)

I’m more confused about the fact that I thought they couldn’t add anymore people to the pier hence why it’s not 50/50 for pros.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where will the Russia race be located?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nearly 2500 athletes...I think I'd rather go watch and drink from the sidelines than race it considering the costs involved to get there.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny, I was excited for SA and absolutely loved it there, and I'm not really interested in racing Nice. Yes, SA was a pain to get to, but the venue was amazing and the costs once there were incredibly low. Nice looks to be much more expensive, once you add the cost of being there to the cost of getting there. Plus SA had the advantage of being a place I wanted to see but probably wouldn't have gotten to if there wasn't a race there, and I enjoyed it so much I want to go back. Now Taupo looks interesting....
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [ksb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ksb wrote:
Will also be on nbcsports.com and I believe redbull.tv as well as FB.

FB was only mentioned. NBCSN lists it. But no mention of it anywhere on red bull tv.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Where will the Russia race be located?

Cities haven’t been announced to date.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
Nearly 2500 athletes...I think I'd rather go watch and drink from the sidelines than race it considering the costs involved to get there.

Race entry and Tribike transport combined was twice the cost of the flight for me from Florida.
Heck the condo alone was three times the flight cost. But I was less than a block from the start/finish/expo/pier area.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

I'm sure Facebook (and in turn, brands like WTC) will figure out a way to monetize video content in a subscription based service - but that pivot hasn't yet come.

But they miss all people with ipads tablets since they do not support flash.....

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [Jelana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jelana wrote:
Funny, I was excited for SA and absolutely loved it there, and I'm not really interested in racing Nice. Yes, SA was a pain to get to, but the venue was amazing and the costs once there were incredibly low. Nice looks to be much more expensive, once you add the cost of being there to the cost of getting there. Plus SA had the advantage of being a place I wanted to see but probably wouldn't have gotten to if there wasn't a race there, and I enjoyed it so much I want to go back. Now Taupo looks interesting....

I booked a condo in Nice for next year for the IM there. Ocean view. Less than $100 a night.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

But they miss all people with ipads tablets since they do not support flash.....

Use the NBC Sports app to steam it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a great deal. I was mostly talking about day-to-day stuff. The most I spent on a meal in SA was $40, and that was a really nice full course meal, including a beautifully prepared fillet and a few glasses of great wine. I figure that meal would have cost me minimum $200+ at home, and lord only knows what in Nice. Just an example. I'm estimating I saved at least a few hundred dollars just on food over the course of the trip.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [Jelana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jelana wrote:

Ditto! I was also at the 70.3 WC in SA ... fantastic venue. And it's only because I had done IMSA the year before that I knew I wanted to go back. OTOH, I couldn't give a rat's ass about Nice, but I'm excited about Taupo. The great thing about a rotating championship is if you don't like the location, it's going to change. Something for everyone ... win, win!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next