Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek
Quote | Reply

A sneak peek of what Taupo has in store for you when 70.3 World Champs comes to town in 2020 :)

Click here for some great footage of our beautiful lake.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Last edited by: salmonsteve: Jun 20, 18 19:40
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did they announce that Taupo was the winner?
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It's just a matter of time :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fitter Radio podcast was just talking about that. Bevan thought it would have to be a different date, like December. Said no way September would work. Would Ironman be willing to alter the schedule?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I have PM'd you.

There is a lot of talk about this September date. The proposal is NOT for September. The lake will be much warmer :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that when Ruapehu goes off because Taupo lake is never warmer than just above freezing.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:
I have PM'd you.

There is a lot of talk about this September date. The proposal is NOT for September. The lake will be much warmer :)

Who is proposing December? That date wouldn’t work well in WA because of IMWA. I wouldn’t have thought it would be good for Northern Hemisphere folk would it?
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

zedzded wrote:

Who is proposing December?

Taupo.

zedzded wrote:
That date wouldn’t work well in WA because of IMWA. I wouldn’t have thought it would be good for Northern Hemisphere folk would it?

That's why it's called a World Championships. I personally like the idea of it moving around locations, and with that comes the need to change times of year. Imagine an IM WC at the end of the Southern Hemisphere summer, rather than the end of winter, Cameron Brown would of been a multiple podium finisher and likely have been World Champion (more than once I'd say).

Sits well with me.

Last edited by: salmonsteve: Jun 20, 18 22:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:

zedzded wrote:

Taupo.

zedzded wrote:
That date wouldn’t work well in WA because of IMWA. I wouldn’t have thought it would be good for Northern Hemisphere folk would it?

That's why it's called a World Championships. I personally like the idea of it moving around locations, and with that comes the need to change times of year. Imagine an IM WC at the end of the Southern Hemisphere summer, rather than the end of winter, Cameron Brown would of been a multiple podium finisher and likely have been World Champion (more than once I'd say).

Sits well with me.

What about Taupo 70.3? That's in december isn't it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i Real fancy either of them locations to be honest ,even travelling from UK
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Is that when Ruapehu goes off because Taupo lake is never warmer than just above freezing.

Feb it can be pretty warm. Itu sprint race in kinloch has been non wetsuit a number of times
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe the years you've done it, but I've never found that. Maybe I'm making an unfair comparison with the relatively balmy blue lake /tikitapu

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It used to be held in November so a date change would not be unprecedented. I am simply curious whether Dec would be the new time frame going forward or just a one off date for Taupo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:

zedzded wrote:

Taupo.

zedzded wrote:

Sits well with me.

Well if it is going to be in December, they should make it so that it is the weekend before Xmas....then Northern Hemisphere people can just make it one long vacation in NZ after the race. Making it 2-3 weeks out from Xmas and you'll have less Northern Hemisphere people making it as they have to take 2 vacations very close to each other. Sep in Taupo would be really really really really bad from a cold perspective!
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When will this be announced? In South Africa perhaps?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

We find out tomorrow :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will it be announced world wide tomorrow or are they just telling the communities first? I am calling it for Taupo.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Press Conference, Kona. 10AM Kona Time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be interested to hear what the qualifying window will be for the Taupo WC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love, love, love, love Taupo... it was my first IM. Amazing *venue*, but as a course it's not suited for a World Championships... too flat.

OTOH, the chip seal is a real challenge!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Different Course ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a tweet that it was officially announced, but can't find any details. Can you shed some light on when the race will be held?
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [m_reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It is going to be held the last weekend of November, 2020.

We have a rather famous (in NZ) bike race which is usually held that weekend, Cycle Challenge has agreed to move their dates 1 week, to the beginning of December. So 1 week apart which would make it worthwhile staying in TaupĹŤ an extra week. The race does 1 full lap around Lake TaupĹŤ.

There will not be a 70.3 in December.

The course has not been announced, however, it will not be the usual 70.3 'Broadlands' course. I'm not at liberty to say where it'll be but it is more 'sporting' than the usual course (on the bike).

It is very exciting for TaupĹŤ.

SB.

Last edited by: salmonsteve: Oct 11, 18 16:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:

The course has not been announced, however, it will not be the usual 70.3 'Broadlands' course. I'm not at liberty to say where it'll be but it is more 'sporting' than the usual course (on the bike).

Out towards Kinloch maybe..?

Will the normal December 2019 race be the usual current course, or will they trial run the new course?
Quote Reply

Prev Next