Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Kurt Kinetic R1 Smart Trainer
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: New Kurt Kinetic R1 Smart Trainer [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...er-direct-drive.html

DCR had a first look about a week ago. Personally, I'm not convinced that rocking "side to side" is the appropriate motion for a trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: New Kurt Kinetic R1 Smart Trainer [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can understand the Wahoo climb but I don’t understand why I need to sway back and forth on a trainer. Wahoo will continue to dominate the trainer market.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks cool but I'm curious how that price point will hold up. I guess for those that want the rocking motion over the wahoo kickr core it might be worth the extra $150 or $200 over the elite direto. and many who have had kinetic trainers in the past seem very loyal since the quality is always good so that also may be a deciding factor. lots of good trainers out right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The most comfortable trainer I own (and I mean that) is my Feedback Omnium. The fact that you're on rollers allows the rear wheels to move left and right (but not tilt) just a bit and this is precisely what happens in the real world. I can ride for hours on my Omnium. On a direct drive trainer I can't make it much more than an hour without frequently getting out of the saddle.
Quote Reply
Re: New Kurt Kinetic R1 Smart Trainer [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode a Rock and Roll trainer for years. I still have it in the closet. The first thing I noticed (missed) when I first used the Magnus was it's lack of "feel" when I pedal. If this had been available when I went to a smart trainer I would have gladly paid a little extra. I bet there are lots of users like me out there who haven't made the jump yet.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: New Kurt Kinetic R1 Smart Trainer [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that’s probably true of a lot of users as well. I just bought s elite direto which for me is good but I know people love kinetic and it IS only slightly more expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The rock and roll is by far the most comfortable trainer I've ever used, I'll never go back to a static trainer. Glad to see a direct drive version is out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if more trainer mfgs will try to compete with their own version of the climb?
Quote Reply
Re: New Kurt Kinetic R1 Smart Trainer [new_trimes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
new_trimes wrote:
I wonder if more trainer mfgs will try to compete with their own version of the climb?

If they do, I bet wahoo would open up the kickr climb to other manufacturers trainers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been using a rock and roll for a couple of weeks and I love it. As others have said, the rocking motion makes it more realistic. I especially like it when I get out of the saddle. I’ll be interested to see reviews for this unit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the Neo moves 1-2" side to side and it is appreciated

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a bad knee (torn meniscus in 2005 and another big injury on the same knee in 2013). I find it extremely uncomfortable to stand up on a regular trainer. It feels like my knee is locked with my whole body applying side to side pressure. I think the swaying motion might help ease some of the strain. Maybe I'm wrong.

I've looked at the Rock 'N Roll in the past but in the name of not spending money on another trainer I simply stop pedaling and stand when I want to take a bread from the saddle.
Quote Reply
Re: New Kurt Kinetic R1 Smart Trainer [new_trimes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I go old school and just stick a few phone books under the front wheel. Patent is pending...
Quote Reply
Re: New Kurt Kinetic R1 Smart Trainer [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even the Road Machine allows for a decent bit of lateral movement. I think the big bolts that secure the rear QR/axle are fixed into some kind of stiff rubber mount that allows for a few degrees of lateral movement.

I really notice it when I use a different trainer that locks the bike solid, which is one of many reasons that I haven't upgraded to a smart trainer yet, for fear of losing that lateral "flexibility".

Having said that, the movement here looks a bit OTT for me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bozol4aBHRw/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1mce943rnn3lk

I'm seriously considering buying this trainer. Locked in trainers make my 'boys' numb after 60mins or so. I live in a nordic country, dark and very cold for the next 5 months. Long rides are not possible so by early summer my cycling is rubbish, I cannot mentally sustain months of short intervals so hoping this will make steady indoor 2-3 hour rides possible. There are some new rollers from Elite and TruTrainer that offer hope too, but you cannot switch off on those even if they might be more fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
The most comfortable trainer I own (and I mean that) is my Feedback Omnium. The fact that you're on rollers allows the rear wheels to move left and right (but not tilt) just a bit and this is precisely what happens in the real world. I can ride for hours on my Omnium. On a direct drive trainer I can't make it much more than an hour without frequently getting out of the saddle.

I have used reg roller with a fork mount and I can confirm this!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

Before the KK R1 was announced I felt that an Omnium with wireless resistance was all that was needed, controlled by a power meter so cheaper hardware, and you've pretty much got it all. However no one has made such a device.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks nice.

For those who already have a $$ trainer and would like the 'rocking' feature, I think there are some 'rocker' plate/platforms on the market, no? Not sure of $$ though.
I wonder how hard it would be to make your own rocker plate... Any kind of platform, like a large cutting board or plywood, and glue some pool noodle pieces on the underside, a little ways out from the center to give it some squishiness/rocking?
Quote Reply