Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
SPECIALIZED wants you to refill behind & underneath your seat WTF
Quote | Reply
Must admit I am amazed at this. Surely the 1 minute you save over the IM course will be lost as you try to accomplish this magic trick. Or worse crash out.

This is really ridiculous. Specialized has some balls.

Discuss
Quote Reply
Re: SPECIALIZED wants you to refill behind & underneath your seat WTF [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
Must admit I am amazed at this. Surely the 1 minute you save over the IM course will be lost as you try to accomplish this magic trick. Or worse crash out.

This is really ridiculous. Specialized has some balls.

Discuss

Did you read the thread on the bike? They do not advertise this and it wasn't designed for that. Yes, you CAN do it if you want.
The bike was made to hold 2 bottles in the bladder. Then, you can add more bottles or take on course hydration. It's your choice.

It's a very well designed bike. What's with the outrage?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Oct 11, 18 9:20
Quote Reply
Re: SPECIALIZED wants you to refill behind & underneath your seat WTF [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn’t stress me at all.

Grabbing bottles at speed can be hairy though. I avoid taking bottles at aid stations if I can
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This criticism seems ill-placed if you have not ridden the bike and thus have first-hand experience with on-bike refilling. I'm not a tri-ath-alete but have experimented with a BTS bottle on the TT bike and once I got used to it, grabbing and replacing a bottle at speed was NBD. Without firsthand experience with the new Specialized liquid luggage box, how do you know how dangerous it is?

If it's a matter of reach back, find the bladder opening with your bottle nozzle, and then squeeze into it, it certainly seems like something that at least some tri-ath-aletes can perform without crashing themselves out.

Like all things involving gross motor skills, caveat triathalete, YMMV, etc.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: SPECIALIZED wants you to refill behind & underneath your seat WTF [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's just mad because they didn't design the bike like he wanted.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Oct 11, 18 9:34
Quote Reply
Re: SPECIALIZED wants you to refill behind & underneath your seat WTF [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least Kiley writes a 7 paragraph post when trying to get people all riled up...this one is a yawner haha

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: SPECIALIZED wants you to refill behind & underneath your seat WTF [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only carry an 'emergency bottle' behind the seat. As it is a bit of a pain in ass to get out/in on the fly.
Also carrying full liquid system up to Hawi (or any climb) has got to be tougher & less efficient than it has to be.

Post Kona I'd really like to see just 1 athlete refilling their bladder.
This bladder design makes no sense (aero maybe, but NOT practical).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want integrated hydration, it makes perfect sense. Otherwise, they would have to leave it in the downtube which people didn't like or make a bottle off the front.

Last edited by: BryanD: Oct 11, 18 9:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d be much more concerned with peeing on the bike......
Quote Reply
Re: SPECIALIZED wants you to refill behind & underneath your seat WTF [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We should all be recycling more...

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
I only carry an 'emergency bottle' behind the seat. As it is a bit of a pain in ass to get out/in on the fly.
Also carrying full liquid system up to Hawi (or any climb) has got to be tougher & less efficient than it has to be.

Post Kona I'd really like to see just 1 athlete refilling their bladder.
This bladder design makes no sense (aero maybe, but NOT practical).

Sorry - I didn't mean to make that as negative as it sounds. I see it as a pretty decent idea - I get the rear emergency bottle - I'm much the same. I have two bottles for Ironman, including doing Kona in 2015 which was, by all accounts, one of the hottest on record. Two bottles in the rear should last for the first hour and a half or maybe 2 hours, but after that if you have a cage on the front (Sarah True had one, I think Lucy has a xlab bottle type thing) then you probably in the heat won't need a second bottle. In Kona, the Gatorade was cold for all of 5 minutes, and so you were getting a new bottle every aid station anyways. So the bladder gets you some freedom early and aero late.

Also, the bladder will be empty by the climb to Hawi...or you will be in trouble with fueling so it's going to be light!

I don't think you will see refills and it doesn't seem to be the intent. And it's absolutely perfect for 70.3 racing size wise for me. The more I see the bike, the more I like it and find it extremely well thought out.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: SPECIALIZED wants you to refill behind & underneath your seat WTF [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
I’d be much more concerned with peeing on the bike......

Peeing on the bike doesn't matter. It's a closed bladder with a hose. Pee and anything else cannot get into that bladder.

Quote Reply
Re: SPECIALIZED wants you to refill behind & underneath your seat WTF [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, does the hose go through the top tube or the downtube? I would expect it be easier to drink via the downtube route... but this is a new concept to me so I could be totally wrong.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: SPECIALIZED wants you to refill behind & underneath your seat WTF [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hose routes through the seat tube, over bottom bracket, and comes out of the top of the downtube.

It has a dedicated channel just for the hose to make it easy to remove the hose.

See the hole right above the seat stays?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

My name is Cam, and I'm the Product Manager for the all-new Shiv Disc. Thank you for all the feedback so far!

Regarding the new Hydration Fuelcell, our goal was to give riders a hydration solution that actually makes you faster (even if the bladder is empty). As Keith (the project's main engineer) stated in the other thread, the optimized, deeper airfoil sections behind the seat tube helped to balance the bike and provide a significant performance benefit in any crosswinds. These airfoil shapes provided double the volume of the previous hydration solution. Knowing this, the team prioritized the volume of the system, while still giving riders the opportunity to place additional bottle cages elsewhere (with the BTA mount, top tube/seat tube bosses, or behind the saddle). Will 1.5L get you through a full Ironman? No. But it gives you 1.5L of your nutrition that you can depend on without having to think about grabbing bottles from the first few aid stations. The climb to Hawi? Athletes will have just about drank through their rear hydration, giving them the same aero performance, a lower center of gravity for stability, and a lighter weight system before grabbing a bottle (to throw into your BTA mount) at the turn around. Will some athletes fill-on-the-fly? Maybe - but again, we're giving athletes the choice of running their hydration solutions how they would like - with more options and capacity than ever before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't really think this contraption deserved its own thread....but anyway...

Yeah, I don't undestand the outrage over this either???? Specialzied has provided a huge fluid reservoir in an area with apparently no aero penalty. You can't re-fill a regular BTS bottle either.....If you really want to re-fill this so badly, pull over and take 20 seconds to do it. Having said that, I don't understand how one can refill the bladder on the fly unless it is not "zipped" tight at the top and the athlete is only intending on filling it 2/3 full. I will be curious to see how athletes handle that this wknd.

Although I have no intention to buy it, I don't think this bike is nearly the disaster that everyone here claims.
Quote Reply
Re: SPECIALIZED wants you to refill behind & underneath your seat WTF [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I don't really think this contraption deserved its own thread....but anyway...

Yeah, I don't undestand the outrage over this either???? Specialzied has provided a huge fluid reservoir in an area with apparently no aero penalty. You can't re-fill a regular BTS bottle either.....If you really want to re-fill this so badly, pull over and take 20 seconds to do it. Having said that, I don't understand how one can refill the bladder on the fly unless it is not "zipped" tight at the top and the athlete is only intending on filling it 2/3 full. I will be curious to see how athletes handle that this wknd.

Although I have no intention to buy it, I don't think this bike is nearly the disaster that everyone here claims.

This is one of the most innovative bikes I've ever seen. I thought the P5-X was cool, this is even better.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are able to refill while riding.... just sayin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who pees on the bike while refilling a bottle? Seriously?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, with all of the time and effort that probably went into this bike, you would also think they they could have designed a refillable cap of sorts like some of the BTA systems have. Perhaps this is somethng they could work on in the future.

At the same time it is 50 ounces. 50!! Even at an IM distance that would seem to provide a nice amount to make concentrated nutrition and swap out water bottles BTA. That is certainly easier and faster than reaching behind the saddle to take swigs from a bottle every 20'.
Quote Reply
Re: SPECIALIZED wants you to refill behind & underneath your seat WTF [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
At the same time it is 50 ounces. 50!! Even at an IM distance that would seem to provide a nice amount to make concentrated nutrition and swap out water bottles BTA. That is certainly easier and faster than reaching behind the saddle to take swigs from a bottle every 20'.

Yes! Fill the rear hydration bladder with concentrated calories or electrolytes. Then have a BTA of water that you can refill. This way you won’t drip sugar all over your front brake caliper :)

I ran 2 BTS bottles with a hose/straw running to my cockpit for 3 years. Those bottles had pure calories and then I had a BTA bottle full of water.
Specialized stole my design. *winky face joking*

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I agree with you, this is pretty awesome design.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
If you want integrated hydration, it makes perfect sense. Otherwise, they would have to leave it in the downtube which people didn't like or make a bottle off the front.

Why was the criticism of having the hydration in downtube?

Quote | Reply
People said it was hard to use, hard to refill, etc. A bunch of local people with Shivs don't use the bladder.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume there is some kind of valve which prevents the fluids from rushing out the mouth end of the straw due to gravity and pressure from the reservoir/bladder.

In that case wouldnt it be somewhat fesable to design a two way valve so that you can just drink and refuel the reservoir/bladder from the mouth piece?
Quote Reply

Prev Next