Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Firecrest 808 Rear 404 Front vs Corima Disc rear and Trispoke Front
Quote | Reply
If it makes a difference, Zipps are clinchers, Corima's are tubulars.
If you had a choice of setup, which would you choose? Aside from ease of mounting tubulars.

Is one setup consistently faster? Or Would you simply prefer the zipp combo to not have to worry about races that don't allow disks or hilly courses? Additional thoughts/considerations?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Firecrest 808 Rear 404 Front vs Corima Disc rear and Trispoke Front [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since no one has answered you I will say that if these are truly the only two options then I would choose the Corima for the disc wheel, because that will be faster. But I would much rather buy a different set of wheels that were clinchers and included a disc.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Firecrest 808 Rear 404 Front vs Corima Disc rear and Trispoke Front [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Corima disk + trispoke is clearly more aero.

BUT

- tubular is less efficient than clincher (except if you use hard glue, as used in pro track cycling, but not easy to use)

- this config is stiffer, so less confortable, less grip when not good road, and more prone to break (seen this video of Team Time Trial where one rider front wheel break, due to a small hole on the road ?)

if the road you race on are perfect, and using hard glue, then it is very very efficient
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Firecrest 808 Rear 404 Front vs Corima Disc rear and Trispoke Front [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So on the basis of one trispoke breaking (and if you are referring to the Sky crash it was a Pro, not Corima), they are now more prone to break than... what exactly? Hit the search function here and you'll find multiple threads of people heartbroken that they smashed a deep carbon rim in a pothole or crash.

But your tubular argument is a good one. And I would add that when you qualify for Kona on your disc setup, you'll need a non-disc anyway.

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Firecrest 808 Rear 404 Front vs Corima Disc rear and Trispoke Front [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

A carbon trispoke is more rigid vertically than a spoke wheel, then more fragile to vertical shocks than a spoke wheel.

I gave the Sky exemple just as an exemple.

Of course you can crack a spoked carbon wheel also.
But statistically, on the same pothole, more chances to crack a trispoke, because, being more rigid, it absorb less energy.

You can compensate with bigger tubular, or different pressure, or softer fork, or less weight on it...

But if the road is nice and sweet, no problem.
Quote Reply