Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [WatsonNh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WatsonNh wrote:
paulmartin wrote:

I've just finished installing this on my IA.

Hi Paul, I was wondering if you used the sculpted Felt headset bearing cap, and if so how far up into the stem does your steerer tube travel? I'm trying to put the Aeria stem on my wifes bike, and not thrilled with the distance between the top of the steerer and top of the stem...

Hi there,
I used the Aeria top cap and ran the rear brake cable through it so that its out of the wind.
For me, once I'd sorted the issues with the bottom of the stem (fouling on the head tube) it all sat really well and fits with the steerer perfectly.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [paulmartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Realise this is an old thread but does anyone happen to know if Profile Design are revising the AU stem? I read somewhere that there were to be future versions of the stem coming with different lengths, stack heights and maybe a lighter version?

Chris.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [chrisone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisone wrote:
Realise this is an old thread but does anyone happen to know if Profile Design are revising the AU stem? I read somewhere that there were to be future versions of the stem coming with different lengths, stack heights and maybe a lighter version?

Chris.

I happen to know these things
The AU stem is getting revised but just different machining on the existing mould - easier cable routing out the top, better alignment for the threaded front brake cable stop, headset cap U shaped instead of pass through.
We investigated making a flat, lighter stem. It was only going to be slightly lighter so moved on to a different design path that will become apparent in time.
There is going to be a much lighter, less integrated solution for mounting the bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool. Thanks for the update cyclenutz. Follow up questions if you don't mind.

My main concerns are weight & aero. I'm unlikely to use the AU bottle or route any cables through the stem.

Do you know if there is a lighter stem that is a descent aero match for the bars? Should I be waiting for something coming from PD or be looking elsewhere?
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [chrisone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There won't be a new stem from PD to match the bars, development is taking a different path so we can drop weight.
I'm afraid I don't know how any other stems would fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for these insights.
Any indication when these updated Aeria stems will become available?
Am about to order this stem, however if the new stem will be available soon, I will wait for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [Kempenaer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's a few months away. I don't think any have shipped to Distributors yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks again; I will wait for it then. Would you possibly have any pictures (that you are allowed to share :-) ) showing the differences?
Another related question, is there any update on the matching aeria drinksystem planned as well? or will that remain unchanged?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably far too late in the design process, but was there any consideration to a more forward sitting brake cable outlet? I had to drill a new hole to get it to work on the Felt IA, and I think this could increase the range of bikes this would work straight out of the box on.

btw, very happy with the stem, bar and bottle solution once its all installed!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

13.5mm forward, pitched 5deg forward to clear headtube better
Don't know if it will clear the IA, will see if the team can dig up the IA drawing to check on.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [Kempenaer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The stem on the left was a rough test, production is smoother.
You can see the increase in size compared to the existing cable exit

No changes to the drink system apart from a bit of a modification to the clip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great insights, thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The exit angle looks great, unfortunately I think its still too far back (for the 56 IA) - I had to drill mine pretty much half way between the threaded hole and the rear-most bottle clip mounting hole
I assume the flat part remains for the old hole? that required some grinding to get it to clear the nosecone without additional spacers underneath the stem :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That wasn't the most recent design drawing, just the one I could find quickly that showed what I needed to show.
The clearance at the headset has changed a bit too. I don't think it will change the IA needing a 3mm spacer for clearance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy to hear there will be a lighter version! I've been eyeing the stem+hydration to combine with a USE R1 bar, but the weight has been putting me off. Looking forward to seeing the lighter option. Is that one also coming in the next few months?
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any info on when the updated version might be available? Pretty keen to get this and set it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
We investigated making a flat, lighter stem. It was only going to be slightly lighter so moved on to a different design path that will become apparent in time.
There is going to be a much lighter, less integrated solution for mounting the bottle.

Re-reading this post it just hit me that there will be a lighter bottle mount... not a lighter stem, correct? So my private little hunt for a low-rise stem with integrated cable routing (and ideally cablestop for center-pull brake) is still on!!?!
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [Blabelzabel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm afraid there won't be a solution for your particular requirement in the foreseeable future from PD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Is that one also coming in the next few months?

In the process of getting production samples made for testing. Which probably means mid next year for retail availability (I'm never that clear on that end of things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
Is that one also coming in the next few months?

In the process of getting production samples made for testing. Which probably means mid next year for retail availability (I'm never that clear on that end of things)

Will these have the same stem length (100 mm) and stack height (12.5 mm) as the current heavy model? If so, I may get the current stem for now and then switch over. Otherwise I might just wait so I don't have to re-fit.
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Oct 30, 18 8:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone tried this and the hydration/fairing with a TRP T920 front brake? It looks like it should work out fine but I don’t want to get a combo that doesn’t go together
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More length options. A bit more stack.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [lyndondrake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haven't tried it with that brake specifically
Posted a bit of info about different calipers here https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6532151#p6532151
Basically - if you're on a medium or larger frame with the 100mm stem it's unlikely there will be a problem.
The TRP is pretty small compared to something like the Magura so you'd have a fair chance of fitting it on a smaller frame (until you hit the headtube length limit)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
haven't tried it with that brake specifically
Posted a bit of info about different calipers here https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6532151#p6532151
Basically - if you're on a medium or larger frame with the 100mm stem it's unlikely there will be a problem.
The TRP is pretty small compared to something like the Magura so you'd have a fair chance of fitting it on a smaller frame (until you hit the headtube length limit)

Thanks for that link. Here's the current setup - the Aeria stem will end up about 10mm lower at the bar end, and has about 15mm more length. (The current brake is a normal side-pull Ultegra; I'm trying to decide whether to use the TriRig Omega which seems ridiculously expensive if I'm going to put it behind a fairing, or take a much cheaper second-hand T920 and use that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
More length options. A bit more stack.

Happy to hear about the former. Hope stack isn't increased much. The lower, the better for keeping the top of the bottle out of the wind.
Quote Reply

Prev Next