Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

Personally I'm a fan of direct mount brakes.

I wasn't previously but now that Campag 12s has them as an option I'm fine with the idea.
S3 rim looking like a very nice option, though still waiting to see more info about the headset/steerer arrangement.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question:

Cervelo S5 or BMC Timemachine road ?!
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [leontuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The BMC is a little lower in front, so that might be a factor.
Other than that, they have a pretty similar feature set so it's down to what appeals most to you.
Or what you can get hold of (no BMC where I am)
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
The BMC is a little lower in front, so that might be a factor.
Other than that, they have a pretty similar feature set so it's down to what appeals most to you.
Or what you can get hold of (no BMC where I am)

Tks for the insights man !
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's how the frame set looks like (with some color) without disc brakes (mounted) ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Wow! $15,000CAN.....OUCH.

So whats the vote here? Cannondale Trek or Cervelo for 2018 disc aero? Price points are near same.

all 3 look pretty good to me. Am i allowed to ask what they weigh (or is that a slowtwitch banned question?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this color is actually quite nice in person. the bottom part almost looks army green in darker light and lighter in brighter lighting
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new S5 frame is announced to count 100g less than the former model and should ready for assembly be around 950g in size 58cm, but that's the weight only ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sausskross wrote:
The new S5 frame is announced to count 100g less than the former model and should ready for assembly be around 950g in size 58cm, but that's the weight only ..
Any info on the S3 weights?
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The S3 frame was build with slightly less material than the S5 frame as far as I remember, the new one I don't know yet ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Last edited by: sausskross: Oct 9, 18 22:45
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aero AND light....a requirement!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thorax wrote:

Can't quickly recall where I saw that, but AFAIK, around 1100g for frame (possibly lower grade carbon used)

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to see the measurement and calibration protocol of the applied scaling and scale ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Last edited by: sausskross: Oct 10, 18 3:11
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrlobber wrote:
Thorax wrote:

Can't quickly recall where I saw that, but AFAIK, around 1100g for frame (possibly lower grade carbon used)
Ugh, that's too high. The bike looks good, but at that weight 5 year old competition beats it.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

That's right. So if it takes 250 watts to go 25mph with the old bike, now you can go 25mph with 244.5 watts. It's a marginal gain...but still a gain. Plus the new bike looks great...never a fan of the current one in the looks department.

Hmmm...I wonder what the front brake and front and rear brake cable housing loops on the previous gen were "worth"? ;-)

To calibrate y'all on the "cost" of brake cable housing, here's a little demo fixture I took some pictures of at the Win Tunnel a few weeks ago. These 2 objects have the same drag. The small cyclinder is the same outer diameter as a piece of cable housing.

Just sayin'...[/quote]
Hi Tom,

Was listening to the FLO podcast with you the other day, and you reminding me of this super nice pic you posted.

Just trying to make my brain "clear" about this : like you say the cylinder and the aeroshape have the same drag coefficient "Cd" , but the frontal area "A" is still smaller for the cylinder. Thus the CdA (Cd x A) is still smaller for the small cylinder. Is that correct of am I missing something ?

Thanks

Ps : those two podcasts with you were great !
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyf wrote:
pyf wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

That's right. So if it takes 250 watts to go 25mph with the old bike, now you can go 25mph with 244.5 watts. It's a marginal gain...but still a gain. Plus the new bike looks great...never a fan of the current one in the looks department.

Hmmm...I wonder what the front brake and front and rear brake cable housing loops on the previous gen were "worth"? ;-)

To calibrate y'all on the "cost" of brake cable housing, here's a little demo fixture I took some pictures of at the Win Tunnel a few weeks ago. These 2 objects have the same drag. The small cyclinder is the same outer diameter as a piece of cable housing.

Just sayin'...

Hi Tom,

Was listening to the FLO podcast with you the other day, and you reminding me of this super nice pic you posted.

Just trying to make my brain "clear" about this : like you say the cylinder and the aeroshape have the same drag coefficient "Cd" , but the frontal area "A" is still smaller for the cylinder. Thus the CdA (Cd x A) is still smaller for the small cylinder. Is that correct of am I missing something ?

Thanks

Ps : those two podcasts with you were great !

Actually, you have it the opposite way around. The CdAs of those 2 objects are the same, and thus the drag force is the same for each. Obviously, with the wing section having a so much larger A, it's Cd is significantly lower. Round sections perpendicular to the airflow have fairly high Cd.

One interesting thing they are illustrating on those demo units is that the drag on an object can be estimated by the size of the turbulent wake trailing the object. That's what those pairs of lines leading up to and after each shape represent.

I'm glad you enjoyed the podcasts. As painful as it is to hear one's own recorded voice, I thought they turned out well too. Thanks!

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Apr 8, 19 7:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom,

It had to be one or the other... and without any legend on that picture I was not sure ;-))) .
But now that I think a bit more about it, it makes sense, Cd of a sphere is about 10 times greater than Cd of an airfoil... so frontal area A can be about 10 times bigger for the airfoil compare to A of the sphere before they have the same CdA...
Thanks again ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of front derailleurs, anyone know if the FD mount on the new S5 is removable?

Zooming in on the Frameset image on the Cervelo site, looks like it's riveted.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is riveted on...unfortunately. I wanted to build one up with 1x AXS just because...but going for 2x now only because I don't want the hanger hanging out there...not aesthetically pleasing in my eyes (and before someone says you can remove it with the right tools...I know...I just don't want to do that either.)
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [justridingalong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's so disappointing. And, yea, I wouldn't be drilling out rivets on a $5,000 frame either!
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's easier to cut the handle bar .. if you don't need the drops // pink

___/\___/\___/\___
Quote Reply

Prev Next