Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
mag900 wrote:
Another person who admittedly knows nothing about what professional athletes make opining on what professional athletes make....
5th at Peach Tree paid $2K and 4th in Pittsburgh paid $4K so take it from there

She has 167.5K instagram followers, 66K Facebook and 45K twitter followers, plus she gets 75-100K views per week on her Youtube channel. What about speaking fees? I paid Jason Lezak $2700 plus expenses 6-8 years ago to come to an event. I think she gets more than that, honestly, but could be wrong. How many is she booking

Again: an Olympic Gold medal is the most marketable achievement on earth. That you would even bring up prize money shows a laughable understanding of how she is making money. Which makes the way you are talking down to others on this thread ironic.

How dare you have an opinion on this matter! Mag900 is the only one who can know something about Gwen's endorsement deals!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You thinking that the "most marketable achievement on earth" is an Olympic gold medal is what is laughable. Most people couldn't give a crap about an Olympic gold in a fringe sport. A C or D list Hollywood celebrity has more IG followers than 167K and the big ones have exponentially more. Lebron has 43 MILLION IG followers and has shoes that cost $200 each. Phelps and Sharapova both have 3.3MM IG followers. That's what moves the needle for Nike. Not 167K followers in a sport that it already is invested heavily in in other athletes who already have performed at the highest levels.

Great. You paid $2,700 for Jason Lezak to attend an event 6 years ago so that means that she must be getting more at unknown events this year. Do you want to provide some links of all these events she was paid to attend this year? She records every move online and I don't recall seeing very many speaking gigs because she was, get this, busy training. She isn't JBS who has been able to put together a remarkable career for decades speaking and running around the country and collecting appearance fees along the way.

I get it that she switched to the marathon from being on the top of the heap in the triathlon world for lifestyle reasons and nobody can fault her for that (particularly when, as has been noted on here, she is doing it on other people's dimes and on her terms). However, it's just plain ridiculous that people who have absolutely no idea what athletes get paid for appearances and endorsements are chiming in with posts about how she must be getting paid this much or that much otherwise it doesn't make sense. A lot of this world doesn't make sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea what she is "making" and you will note I never have said that I do. I just have chimed in on "experts," like yourself, who think they know the answer, when it's obvious they have absolutely no idea what it is. Whatever she is making, she's doing it on her terms with very little travel and almost entirely from her own house, which she wouldn't be able to do as a triathlete. It's possible that being able to do all of that is worth more than all the money in the world and she's still happy with the decision. I have no idea. I just know that the days of showing up to a race and being able to collect a large sum of money (prize money plus endorsement bonuses plus zero travel expenses) are long gone now that she is just a marathoner who was beaten by a 42-year old single mom who recently was broke and living in a 6'x8' room with a small child.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
I have no idea what she is "making" and you will note I never have said that I do. I just have chimed in on "experts," like yourself, who think they know the answer, when it's obvious they have absolutely no idea what it is. Whatever she is making, she's doing it on her terms with very little travel and almost entirely from her own house, which she wouldn't be able to do as a triathlete. It's possible that being able to do all of that is worth more than all the money in the world and she's still happy with the decision. I have no idea. I just know that the days of showing up to a race and being able to collect a large sum of money (prize money plus endorsement bonuses plus zero travel expenses) are long gone now that she is just a marathoner who was beaten by a 42-year old single mom who recently was broke and living in a 6'x8' room with a small child.

I never said I was an expert. Nor did I say she could show up to a race and make money. But carry on.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many athletes are sponsored by Sleep Number?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
mag900 wrote:

I never said I was an expert. Nor did I say she could show up to a race and make money. But carry on.

You did say "she was making a lot of money as a triathlete and I highly doubt she would have left triathlon to make less than half of what she was making there even if the lifestyle suited her." What is that based on besides nothing? The whole idea of a change in lifestyle being the driving force in the change apparently has flown completely over your head but that's ok. Continue with your expert opinions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lighten up bro. This isn’t worth getting worked up over.

I think she makes $300k. I could be wrong. I’m not losing sleep either way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weak answer! You went after others pretty hard, none of whom actually professed to be experts. Clearly you disagreed with their estimates. Either you know something or you don't. If you know something, give us a guess or a range to back up the criticism. If you really "have no idea" then you taking the position of "expert" by ripping others for their guesses is pretty lame.

mag900 wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replying in general to the compensation question.

This might be enlightening: Let's Run had a large salary story where they surveyed agents on various athletes: http://www.letsrun.com/...rts-biggest-secrets/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again: an Olympic Gold medal is the most marketable achievement on earth.

I would think a medical degree from Harvard would be worth more than an Olympic gold medal in fencing...

Last edited by: Sanuk: Oct 9, 18 11:04
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, maybe.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Definitely not, I think today is mainly about getting her ticket to Atlanta and not losing too much on the back half. She knows that her shape is no where near where it needs to be, but after today she will have a lot more experience and her qualifier done.
Did she? I don't know how that works.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes she did. "A" standard on the women's side is 2:37. She was under it.

http://www.usatf.org/News/Qualifying-standards-announced-for-2020-U-S--Olymp.aspx

Thorax wrote:
oscaro wrote:
Definitely not, I think today is mainly about getting her ticket to Atlanta and not losing too much on the back half. She knows that her shape is no where near where it needs to be, but after today she will have a lot more experience and her qualifier done.

Did she? I don't know how that works.

Quote | Reply
Lighten up bro. This isn’t worth getting worked up over.

I think she makes $300k. I could be wrong. I’m not losing sleep either way. //

Knowing what I know about professional salaries and all other monies earned(I worked for Nike for a decade), I would say that you are very close to the bottom end, which would be less than half of her biggest year as a triathlete. So assuming a spartan lifestyle of a long distance runner, plenty to be comfortable for several years, unless like many of the other pro athletes in other sports, she gave it to shisters and con men...
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
plenty to be comfortable for several years, unless like many of the other pro athletes in other sports, she gave it to shisters and con men...

probably not, she's an accountant!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
probably not, she's an accountant!

Which means.........she can count better the monies that were invested horribly? Like I said, hope she invested in her home and some other safe S&P type investments, not the condo project or the swamp land that is sure to be a mall next year....
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [Alice82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alice82 wrote:
Well I’d rather run a 2.36 than win a guessing game but it’s the little victories, haha.

Well dones to all for having a punt. Excellent performance, Yeti ;)

Oh I almost forgot, but I did tell juanillo that I'd buy the winner a cup of coffee. So if you're ever in Vegas, shoot me a PM if you want to collect.

Last edited by: THRILLHO: Oct 9, 18 22:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:

how does that work ... if you have no idea ,how do you tell others they have no idea ...
especially since you dont eve know that some of those people you call ignorant have at least some idea through friends and coaches.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [THRILLHO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that is cool!!

I’m in the U.K. but Badwater is on my bucket list followed by a celebration in Las Vegas - will take a few years to get organised but let’s definitely do the coffee!! :)

http://www.goalicego.co.uk
Quote Reply

Prev Next