Quote | Reply
Nice...(-;
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon Thread a/k/a how will Gwen do? [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hubcaps wrote:
Post race video is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKVJUIa_xBI&t=0s

Reality settling in for her especially since everything seem to be going well up to the race. Her face when she finished and went up to Pat was hard to watch.

The most interesting comment was before the race Pat mentioned a 5:40-5:45 pace (so 2:28-2:30). It seems the goal was to break 2:30.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was questioning whether GJ was actually getting her mileage up and running a ton...video confirms it, she's running 120 mile week(s?). Seeing her finish, she looked almost crippled/hobbled. I hope she keeps plugging along, because I think it's hard to jump up to this distance and nail it, but I also think it's one of those things, that at some point, you don't get to keep "trying". Like you cant just go out and run a marathon a month type of deal. So it's going to be even more pressure on the next one, etc.

But that's life in the fast lane when you jump to a "new" sport and call your shot in a 3 year window.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Definitely not, I think today is mainly about getting her ticket to Atlanta and not losing too much on the back half. She knows that her shape is no where near where it needs to be, but after today she will have a lot more experience and her qualifier done.

Agreed. Amazing experience. More time will get her there. I know it took me 3 goes to get it right. And out of 15 now am at 2 really bad, 3 bad, 2 average, and 5 good, 3 really good. She's had 2 goes which vs expectations were good and bad. She'll get closer to expectations next time!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Last edited by: nbrowne1: Oct 8, 18 20:14
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed. Mike Eruzione, who had no future whatsoever in hockey, literally made an entire career on it.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 8, 18 19:21
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:
Depending on your definition of professional, that might make her one [of] the best professional endurance athletes ever.

Agreed. That video series moves her to a new level in terms of fan/consumer appeal and interest. If I was a sponsor, the content her team is creating would be my baseline of commitment from an athlete. And for an endurance gold medallist, trying to compete in the most competitive endurance sport in the world, I'd pay top sponsorship dollar for that content/exposure/promotion.

Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Now with that being said, there is sport specificity and with the marathon, you can't fake running 26.2 miles. You maybe can fake 18 or 20 of those 26.2 miles, but that last 10k is going to kill you if you don't have some volume on the legs. But I think there are some "junk" miles that an marathoner can subsitute with a bike to keep their body on schedule.

Agreed. Can't fake a marathon. And you can definitely sub in bikes and swims for easy runs. Different intensities for those though. In my mind, an easy 10-20k run is worth a hard swim, or a medium level 90min-2hr bike.

Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [Slick_D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slick_D wrote:
This is exactly why I'm a fan of Lionel Sanders. he is not looking for any silver lining, just the facts of the matter. he knows, I know, and many others know, that he was ready to run in the 8:0x somewhere, but something serious is amiss. I hope that this shocks him enough to make the proper changes, I believe he knows what he has been doing wrong, but like most athletes, they hand over all responsibility to the internet. And it especially seems to be a thing with Canadians, going all the way back to my day. Stop being told what to do, and just do what all your years of top level training and performance tells you to do. Dont be so skinny, dont feel you have to run the mileage of other triathletes, just do what got you here. Maybe ride the bike again a bit, drop about 25% of the miles per week, eat some burgers, drink a beer..

lol 🤣

Last edited by: nbrowne1: Oct 8, 18 20:10
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon Thread a/k/a how will Gwen do? [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyscarroll wrote:
hubcaps wrote:
Post race video is up:

Reality settling in for her especially since everything seem to be going well up to the race. Her face when she finished and went up to Pat was hard to watch.

The most interesting comment was before the race Pat mentioned a 5:40-5:45 pace (so 2:28-2:30). It seems the goal was to break 2:30.

No, this is wrong. She was told not to go any faster than that at all. Meaning they knew she wasn’t in 2:30 shape. And she wasn’t. She started slow and faded big time.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon Thread a/k/a how will Gwen do? [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was working the first water station and snapped some pics as she ran by.
Last edited by: Gregman1: Oct 8, 18 23:54
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon Thread a/k/a how will Gwen do? [Gregman1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon Thread a/k/a how will Gwen do? [Gregman1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [nbrowne1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nbrowne1 wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
Now with that being said, there is sport specificity and with the marathon, you can't fake running 26.2 miles. You maybe can fake 18 or 20 of those 26.2 miles, but that last 10k is going to kill you if you don't have some volume on the legs. But I think there are some "junk" miles that an marathoner can subsitute with a bike to keep their body on schedule.

Agreed. Can't fake a marathon. And you can definitely sub in bikes and swims for easy runs. Different intensities for those though. In my mind, an easy 10-20k run is worth a hard swim, or a medium level 90min-2hr bike.

bingo - one of my old coaches used to say that anyone can run 20 miles; it's the last 6 that make you a marathoner.

in the video posted - admittedly just a short clip, at the very end of the race - she looked unwell. just seemed weak and tired and her stride seemed off. . .

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat0 wrote:
Nah, she's pulling in at least she 300k. Kara Goucher, although an attractive and likeable athlete, never won a gold medal and she made that much.

It looks like someone who knows nothing about what professional athletes earn is opining on what professional athletes earn.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no clue what Gwen makes but I would bet that it is at least $100k. I am not sure of the inner workings of Nike but she has had multiple shoes made specifically for her and I imagine they only do that for their higher up athletes. The fact that she is a very high profile athlete that non runners/triathletes can relate to also helps her, again I only assume. She is a mother who is balancing a family life and a professional runner is something as well. Also, she was making a lot of money as a triathlete and I highly doubt she would have left triathlon to make less than half of what she was making there even if the lifestyle suited her.

Again, I have no clue what she is making as a runner but she was making $200kish in prize money as a triathlete so add in more for sponsors and we get close to $300-500k. So let's meet in the middle of that $30k and $500k and I assume it is close.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
I have no clue what Gwen makes but I would bet that it is at least $100k. I am not sure of the inner workings of Nike but she has had multiple shoes made specifically for her and I imagine they only do that for their higher up athletes. The fact that she is a very high profile athlete that non runners/triathletes can relate to also helps her, again I only assume. She is a mother who is balancing a family life and a professional runner is something as well. Also, she was making a lot of money as a triathlete and I highly doubt she would have left triathlon to make less than half of what she was making there even if the lifestyle suited her.

Again, I have no clue what she is making as a runner but she was making $200kish in prize money as a triathlete so add in more for sponsors and we get close to $300-500k. So let's meet in the middle of that $30k and $500k and I assume it is close.

Another person who admittedly knows nothing about what professional athletes make opining on what professional athletes make. Money doesn't grow on trees so where do you think this mysterious $400K comes from? I'll give you a hint: not from the Chicago Marathon (she was not on the list of professional athletes when it was released and was just a late toss in) and not from Nike (Nike doesn't sign large contracts that aren't exclusive or close to exclusive). 5th at Peach Tree paid $2K and 4th in Pittsburgh paid $4K so take it from there.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
nbrowne1 wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

bingo - one of my old coaches used to say that anyone can run 20 miles; it's the last 6 that make you a marathoner.

in the video posted - admittedly just a short clip, at the very end of the race - she looked unwell. just seemed weak and tired and her stride seemed off. . .

Looks like she maybe is covering up an injury?

Insertional Achilles Tendinitis is my guess from what little I know and see.
Can be suppressed and managed, but will never go completely away unless one stops running.

In the interview on stage I noticed she had her feet out of her shoes. Could perhaps be something as simple as blisters on the heels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, here's something to think about. Her husband is her manager full time, chef, stay at home dad. She has a mortgage, she has a son...and erbody gotta eat.

She runs full-time and her place of work is Nike. She has multiple sponsors as you can see from her videos. The Island House still sponsors her, Specialized still sponsors her.

So if you don't think she's making some cash, that's probably wrong. She's also a Nike Athlete in a sport which is bankrolled by Nike. I'm guessing there's a significant difference between Bowerman/Oregon Project contracts vs NAZ Elite.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon Thread a/k/a how will Gwen do? [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
jeremyscarroll wrote:
hubcaps wrote:
Post race video is up:

No, this is wrong. She was told not to go any faster than that at all. Meaning they knew she wasn’t in 2:30 shape. And she wasn’t. She started slow and faded big time.

If i remember she called out a 2:19 for this race
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. She aint living off her triathlon money, that's for sure. It's not as if she's living off $22k yearly running money. And one thing to think about with triathlon- she was hella successful and made a ton of money on prize money. BUT that meant she had to do it someone else's way..IE- had to live in Australia (I dont think she had "lived" in the U.S. since 2012 time frame), had to race in 8 different countries throughout the year, so sometimes that meant she'd have to live in X country for 3 weeks to adjust to time/travel issues. ETA: AB bitched for years about the WTS race calendar and the "demands" it put on athletes- and it's also why he won what 1 world championship I believe because he never raced enough to score high in the series and thus win. ITU schedule is nothing but a grinder, hell triathlon schedule is a grinder. And there was no real end goal for Gwen, she had gotten that, and she def wasn't going to go long course, so when your really awesome at something you start to hate- you start to see great value in even "marginal" values in other things. Moving to a sport where you have 1 training base, travel 4 times a year, get to see your kid and hubs every day- that's huge win even on "low" salary compared to what you could have made somewhere else.

So while she made a ton of money, she also pretty much earned every penny with "investments" into earning every penny.

So even if she's only earning 1/4th of $200k which I would almost gurantee is the least amount of money she's "sponsored" by taking this move, that puts her in a position of power because it's HER decision and lifestyle now- not anyone else's. I also contend she's making a comfortable salary with that condition. So maybe it's not her triathlon max earning year salary but this move aint put her in the poor house.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 9, 18 9:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Umm I am not sure where you are seeing that $400k comes from. Also not sure where you saw that I said she made $400k from two running races. I said she made over $200k in prize money in TRIATHLON. And my THOUGHTS were that she would not leave a sport that she made close to $300k to a sport where she would make $30k. I did not say Nike is paying her all of the money. I said that she must have a good enough contract where Nike is making her one off shoes for races. So thanks for not reading my post then posting what you posted.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Umm I am not sure where you are seeing that $400k comes from. Also not sure where you saw that I said she made $400k from two running races. I said she made over $200k in prize money in TRIATHLON. And my THOUGHTS were that she would not leave a sport that she made close to $300k to a sport where she would make $30k. I did not say Nike is paying her all of the money. I said that she must have a good enough contract where Nike is making her one off shoes for races. So thanks for not reading my post then posting what you posted.

I apologize for not properly interpreting this gibberish:

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about so why do you continue posting this drivel? Do us all a favor and talk to someone who actually has some insight into what contracts pay and report back to us. Your "thoughts" are worthless without some actual knowledge backing them up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
Another person who admittedly knows nothing about what professional athletes make opining on what professional athletes make....
5th at Peach Tree paid $2K and 4th in Pittsburgh paid $4K so take it from there

She has 167.5K instagram followers, 66K Facebook and 45K twitter followers, plus she gets 75-100K views per week on her Youtube channel. What about speaking fees? I paid Jason Lezak $2700 plus expenses 6-8 years ago to come to an event. I think she gets more than that, honestly, but could be wrong. How many is she booking

Again: an Olympic Gold medal is the most marketable achievement on earth. That you would even bring up prize money shows a laughable understanding of how she is making money. Which makes the way you are talking down to others on this thread ironic.
Last edited by: ajthomas: Oct 9, 18 9:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
jrielley wrote:

I apologize for not properly interpreting this gibberish:

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about so why do you continue posting this drivel? Do us all a favor and talk to someone who actually has some insight into what contracts pay and report back to us. Your "thoughts" are worthless without some actual knowledge backing them up.

Ok expert. How much is she making?

And I am still not sure why you are so offended by people's opinions. But since you are all knowing I will let you tell everyone what her finances are since it seems that you don't care what anyone else has to say.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next