Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker
Quote | Reply
Ed Baker of recent front page fame has recently produced a video on his favorite subject: Ed Baker. If, after reading the interview with slowtwitch and watching Ed's seminal airing of the Ed Baker show, you haven't had enough Ed Baker, you can hear Ed talk about himself more here. Wow, is this dude irritating or what? That's all I can say at this time as I am on probation, but do discuss amongst yourselves.

Last edited by: kileyay: Oct 8, 18 17:44
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Non-cyclist to 400w FTP in a short time at the age of 40. Seems legit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh. Needs more slow motion action shots with house electronic music.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Derekl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derekl wrote:

The guys was a 2:21 marathoner...this equates to some massive watts per kilo once you guys apply the Chung method of Watts per kilo having roughly the same magnitude for a given athlete given equivalent abilities in both sports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Derekl wrote:

+1
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So can a 40-year old cyclist with a 400w FTP go run a 2:21 marathon on a year of training? Doesn’t look like uber biker darling Wurf can and he is younger and has all sorts of help.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the TX 70.3 this year, he was 1min slower than me on the bike, and 20sec faster on the run. Not sure how he took that level of fitness in April to a 9 hour IM in July and a 8:30 something not long after.....

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I blame my folks! Worst genetic ever! 7 years as a swimmer + 5 year triathlon and I still suck at it!
Last edited by: FaKaspar: Oct 8, 18 19:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Derekl wrote:

The guys was a 2:21 marathoner...this equates to some massive watts per kilo once you guys apply the Chung method of Watts per kilo having roughly the same magnitude for a given athlete given equivalent abilities in both sports.

WAS. Not at age 40. That's not at all how it works.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mungub50 wrote:
So can a 40-year old cyclist with a 400w FTP go run a 2:21 marathon on a year of training? Doesn’t look like uber biker darling Wurf can and he is younger and has all sorts of help.

I swear you guys sometimes talk like idiots. Running (believe it or not) and swimming are technical sports. But cycling is a totally non technical sport. As long as someone has an engine, they will eventually get fast pushing down hard on the pedals hard enough often enough. Running has some natural mechanics, Swimming has acquired mechanics. In both cases, you can't just acquire the right mechanics (ask Lionel about swimming or you could ask many pro speed skaters who can bike hard, about how hard running is for them....their achilles tendons may be short stubby ones that are kind of useless for running fast). In any case, it's not surprising that Ed's FTP quickly.

In any case a 2:21 marathon is around 5 meters per second. So that person's threshold which would be bit less than half that duration would be 5.5 meters per second. IF that same person developed cycling proficiency with that size engine, we'd expect his FTP to be around 5.5 Watts per kilo. At 70 kilos, 5.5 Watts per Kilo is an FTP of 385W....so we're in the 400W range.

But hey, I know all you guys want to say he is doped to the gills, and I don't know if he is or is not, but that math is in the ballpark that its all the realm of possiblity and not entirely a fairy tale. This guy is a faster runner than Lance was for what that is worth....AND not every runner can become a good TT cyclists just because they are too light. Ed is a heavy enough marathoner/runner to become a decent cyclist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Derekl wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Derekl wrote:

You don't lose that much aerobic capacity by 40...the list is endless of athletes producing competitive pro numbers at 40. Mark Allen won Kona at 38. Cam Brown just went 8:07 at IMNZ at 45! Crowie was winning 70.3's above 40. Dave Scott was 5th at Kona at 40. Rob Barel raced for Holland at the Sydney Olympics triathlon at 40. So not sure why you guys are fixating on 40 years old like it's some ancient dinosaur age. There is not that much aerobic capacity lost by that point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No disrespect, but who the f**k is this guy?
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
No disrespect, but who the f**k is this guy?

Everyone is bent out of joint that a former college runner, who did a 2;21 marathon while working in his post college career and kept up some semblance of fitness afterwards recently quit work and took up tris full time and vaulted to the mid 8 hour range, which is seeminly remarkable compared to the rest of us training or asses off for years and getting no where near those abilities. But very few of us were 2:21 marathon guys either, so while it's not impossible that the guy is doped (in that case he'd be like many 40 somethings in California), its also possible that he's a genetic mutant compared to most of us and if he took up tris in his 20's he'd be like Lionel Sanders (from what I gather he was a faster college runner than Sanders was)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why was this video made? He’s obviously super talented, but who was this video made for?
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ed Baker

What is anything for except that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's all I can say at this time as I am on probation

Double secret probation?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He comes off creepy, in a Johnny Depp esque Willy Wonka kinda way....
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Mugen_EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mugen_EP wrote:
He comes off creepy, in a Johnny Depp esque Willy Wonka kinda way....

Creepy? The irony....

https://www.recode.net/...igns-travis-kalanick

https://www.susanjfowler.com/...strange-year-at-uber

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Derekl wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Derekl wrote:

You don't lose that much aerobic capacity by 40...the list is endless of athletes producing competitive pro numbers at 40. Mark Allen won Kona at 38. Cam Brown just went 8:07 at IMNZ at 45! Crowie was winning 70.3's above 40. Dave Scott was 5th at Kona at 40. Rob Barel raced for Holland at the Sydney Olympics triathlon at 40. So not sure why you guys are fixating on 40 years old like it's some ancient dinosaur age. There is not that much aerobic capacity lost by that point.

What do they have all in common, oh ya they have doing triathlon for a very long time. (Not 2 years)
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Creepy? The irony....

https://www.recode.net/...igns-travis-kalanick

Oh man! #TigerWoodsSyndrome

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Derekl wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Derekl wrote:

What do they have all in common, oh ya they have doing triathlon for a very long time. (Not 2 years)

i understand your suspicion. but i have more sympathy for it as regards total training volume and cycling ability. he was already a very good runner, and what i find much more compelling is that he was a big runner. his is, physically, the prototype of a top triathlete: 6'1", 165lb, as a 2:21 marathoner. not he grew to be 165lb. he was that size as a 1:05 and 2:21 runner.

swimming? if i dope to my eyebrows it isn't going to make me a better portrait painter. swimming is half grunt athlete, half portrait painter. that's mostly work and smarts, the ability to imitate and the capacity to work at it.

so, as to the video? kiley needs to find something else be angry about. kavanaugh. climate change. or torture. because he's torturing me with his heartburn. as to swimming? no. doping won't get you from the 1:45 lane to the 1:20 lane.

as to simply the ability to get that strong in IM in 2yr, yes, your jaundiced eye is not unreasonable. i stop short of that, but it's not unreasonable for you to suspect more than i do.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Listened to his interview with Bob Babbit. My god what a selfish individual, heading to Kona for a week when his wife will literally just have had their 4th child.

In his defense if you want to be really successful at anything in life (business, sport, etc.) you need to put everything else in 2nd place behind your goals. Comes back to the old notion that most CEOs are psychopaths. I have had interactions with serious athletes for the last 15years & to a T they are all extremely selfish people. The personality they project in social media, interviews etc, is miles away from the person they are in real life. Can't blame them, thats what it takes.

Big ego, big bank balance, big commitment, no pesky family or job getting in the way, his results are legit IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be fair, doping would help you become a faster swimmer as you will be able to recover faster, and go harder each session.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you OK with being a Troll? Who else actually seeks information about someone that they don't like for no reason other than throw stones?

Does bringing someone else down somehow bring you up?

It's clear from other previous posts you don't like the guy - why then do you search out more stuff to troll about? I don't get it. I actually respect the guy, and yet have no desire to find more to read about him or watch videos, etc. I'd rather be doing other things. Perhaps he does things that annoy you (duh). Your being a troll annoys me; perhaps, makes me like Ed even more.

Has he made significant gains in performance in a short time? Yes, he's on the steep part of the learning curve - that's what happens when someone works hard at something. Almost anybody who's listened to someone new to the sport be so excited to do a 3 hour Oly, then 3 weeks later doing a 2:45, then a month later doing a 2:38. In their mind they'll be sub 2 mid next season at the latest - until reality sets in. His curve happens to be at a place that very few will get to no matter how long/hard they try. Am I jealous of that? Sure. He picked his parents right to get an engine that is a few standard deviations above "normal." I'd rather see someone use that then waste it. Criticizing his life style won't make his gift somehow less.

Beat him on the field of play, then we'll talk about how great you are. Can't do that? Join the club.

You and a few others must like living in glass houses. Must be cool. Perhaps add a mirror to the décor, see if you like what you see. In the mean time think about putting that energy into more training, or something positive. I'll bet you'll be happier - which is nice

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you can argue cycling is a little more technical than running...

In any case, who produced this video and why? Did zwift?

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply

Prev Next