Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zwift on Apple TV?
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about getting an Apple TV to run Zwift on as a cheaper alternative to upgrading my laptop. I see a lot of reviews from immediately after the app first came out but not much since. I'm looking for a "long term" review - how is Zwift on Apple TV? And, especially how is it as compared to a decent but not great laptop (e.g. no dedicated graphics card).

I'm thinking about the CABLE thingy as an ANT+ to Bluetooth bridge also (I need it for my power meter) - any comments on that?

Thanks!
Last edited by: STP: Oct 8, 18 8:35
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use it, and it's fine. I have to use the companion app simultaneously because you can only hook up 1 bluetooth sensor to the appletv at once though. (I have quarq, tacx neo & hr monitor).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It works good, no particular problem. It's better to use with the Zwift companion app given the limit on total available bluetooth connection.And no ANT+
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can definitely vouch for the CABLE. I have one and love it. It is reliable and does exactly what I need it to.

I also use Zwift on an apple TV, but I have never used a computer for Zwift so it is all I know. I assume you will loose some control going to an apple TV. The biggest complaint about the apple TV is the remote and that complaint extends to controlling Zwift. Using the remote, I can use boosts, turn, start workouts, etc. but somethings like giving Ride Ons, I have not figured out how to do. I also have trouble moving through the menus efficiently, but with enough fudging I can get what I want.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you use your own customized workouts on zwift when running through the app on the Apple TV? I'm just wondering how one would load those in to use.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe so, but I have not actually completed a workout. I loaded in a custom workout on my computer and was able to see it on Zwift, but then ended up doing the workout in trainerroad instead... Perhaps someone else can weigh in with more experience with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also use Zwift on Apple TV, and it works fine. You will of course need a tv/monitor to run it on. As others have suggested you should use the companion app, which is what I do (kickr + HRM connect directly to the Apple TV bluetooth, cadence sensor through my phone/the app). The Apple TV remote can be annoying to use but most of what you need while riding can be accomplished through the companion app.

Make sure your wi-fi connection is good. My setup is out in the garage and a ways from the wireless router, and I had some problems with network drops which will really frustrate you. I bought a wireless mesh network for my house which solved all my problems.

I didn't already have a computer that could run Zwift, so overall I think Apple TV is a good value.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpay wrote:
Can you use your own customized workouts on zwift when running through the app on the Apple TV? I'm just wondering how one would load those in to use.

Yes, you can do this by creating the workout in TrainingPeaks, as the easiest way with AppleTV.

If running Zwift from a computer, there is a way to load a native Zwift workout AFAIK, but TrainingPeaks integrations is pretty straightforward.

I've been running Zwift on an AppleTV for about a year now. I do have the CABLE so that I can send HR and other Ant data through BT to the Zwift app and have it display on the screen.

FWIW, my wife who hates the trainer normally finally put in a solid winter of bike training as she really enjoyed the ability to ride structured workouts through Zwift and the "gamification" of the riding experience that it delivers.

One tip specific to AppleTV that I found, is it's best to 'force quit' the Zwift app between rides, especially if you have multiple riders or equipment.

--
I ride Felt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another 👍 for zwift on Apple TV. I also use Cable to connect HR and cadence and such. 3 times a week I do my trainerroad workout and run them on zwift simultaneously. It has been way more enjoyable than trying to watch a movie while killing myself with trainerroad. Once a week I’ll sign up for a race on zwift. Which is awesome and fun and I always feel destroyed after one of those but it’s the ride i look forward to the most in a week.
But trainerroad on zwift makes it so i can look forward to biking indoors and completing the trainerroad workouts each week.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [coredump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering Apple TV for a dedicated Zwift setup, currently using an old laptop that has some issues. Is it a simple and seamless experience, and are there any issues giving up a keyboard? I gather you use the companion app for most controls, but what about switching users and so forth? And the CABLE bridge is seamless?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It works really well. I have a first gen AppleTv and the screen mirror kept dropping. I tried the HDMI cable via iphone adapter and it drained the phone battery really quickly. Like 100% charged to 10% in an hour, so i said F-it and bought the new AppleTV. It is seamless. And now my phone is freed up to have Zwift Companion app up as well as stream music to a bluetooth speaker.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zwift on AppleTV is pretty seamless. Very easy to get started. I also run the companion app on my phone and find it drains the battery pretty fast so I try and have it plugged in while I ride.

Like has been mentioned above, it’s good to force quit the app in between uses as often it has trouble loading after a day or two if it’s been left open and the AppleTV has gone to sleep.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My choice was 4k 55”Tv + gaming rig, cant go back to apple tv :)
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the thing is to run it on a newer 4k appletv. in fact, i'm getting another one, and will dedicate 1 to bike and 1 to run. a 4k appletv is $179.

then i run the companion app on my iphone, but i think i'm going to see if i can rig a stand for a tablet and run it on that. in any case, i haven't found a better solution than appletv for zwift. i've run it on a desktop and laptop macOS, iOS, android, windows 10, and appletv is the easiest, slickest setup.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
the thing is to run it on a newer 4k appletv. in fact, i'm getting another one, and will dedicate 1 to bike and 1 to run. a 4k appletv is $179.

then i run the companion app on my iphone, but i think i'm going to see if i can rig a stand for a tablet and run it on that. in any case, i haven't found a better solution than appletv for zwift. i've run it on a desktop and laptop macOS, iOS, android, windows 10, and appletv is the easiest, slickest setup.

You sold me! Where do I send the commission? ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [Kaywould] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kaywould wrote:
Another đź‘Ť for zwift on Apple TV. I also use Cable to connect HR and cadence and such.
How many sensors can you connect when using the Cable?

I have a 4iiii Viiiiva which I use to connect my P1 pedals to Zwift and Sufferfest on my iPad and wondered if you can get all of the sensors connected by using the Viiiiva.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the cable I connect my cadence sensor, HR monitor strap, and my wahoo kickr to zwift.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm. My zwift companion app does not drain that much power.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what is the CABLE ?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the best setup.
I started Zwift with Powertap hub to ANT USB to computer.
Ok but you really need a Smart trainer for Zwift to be effective.
Upgraded to a Saris Hammer, connected to Computer via ANT USB. Which I ran to a 55in TV.
I thought I was in the game, until it kept dropping 45 minutes into a workout. Thank goodness I was not doing races, just interval workouts.

After this happened 5 or 6 times I spoke to a friend who worked at Zwift. They had the same issues with their kicker.

The solution was Apple TV. In over a year I have not been dropped or frozen once.

My setup is Hammer > Apple tv via Bluetooth > Samsung TV.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zwift via a 4K AppleTV works great. I use the Cable as well. One thing to note is the app for programming it is only available on Apple products. So unless you have an iPhone/iPad you can't configure it or change it from one person to another (if you have a significant other or someone else that would also use it). Mine also seems to over state cadence pretty significantly. Like 25% or so. But I don't really pay attention to the cadence on Zwift it's self so never bother trying to figure that out and ended up turning cadence off on the Cable.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just upgraded from a CyclOps Magnus to a Tacx Neo 2T, and the companion app is no longer needed. All three trainer boxes plus HR come through the Apple TV now. Companion app wasn't hard to use, but it drained my phone on longer rides.

Something else I have done is to install Zwift on an older laptop, that is way too under-powered to actually run Zwift. I do this because if you copy a downloaded ZWO workout from anywhere, and drop it into the correct folder, it magically shows up as a workout on the Apple TV. It's also good to use when changing stuff in the "Garage" because it's a lot easier to use with a mouse than that jumpy Apple remote.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
I'm thinking about getting an Apple TV to run Zwift on as a cheaper alternative to upgrading my laptop. I see a lot of reviews from immediately after the app first came out but not much since. I'm looking for a "long term" review - how is Zwift on Apple TV? And, especially how is it as compared to a decent but not great laptop (e.g. no dedicated graphics card).

I'm thinking about the CABLE thingy as an ANT+ to Bluetooth bridge also (I need it for my power meter) - any comments on that?

Thanks!

I used it and it works fine. I also have the CABLE and that has been fine as well. My husband uses a Windows machine and he gets caught in update hell. I do not ;-)

I really dislike the Apple TV remote. I sometimes have a hard time selecting workouts. I'd appreciate suggestions on a replacement.

Speaking of workouts, I put Zwift on another machine that I have access to and I load the ZWO files there. They are mirror or whatever to the Apple TV and that works fine, remote issues aside.

Janyne
Quote Reply

Prev Next