Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
alex_korr wrote:
I was there today and also was in NYC last year. I struggled today as well after the 30k mark. There was a stretch there straight into the wind, maybe it would have been better to take the foot off the gas and make up the time in the last 4 miles cos it is a protected straightaway. I think that Gwen made the same mistake seeing how her time dropped between the 30k and 35k marks.

The last 2-ish miles into the headwind didn’t help, either.

Didn’t hurt mo
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [Zach Ruble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
before making a decision to go back to triathlon//

I don't think she likes triathlon anymore, and it certainly doesn't fit in with her lifestyle either. I imagine this is it for her, running until the clock runs out on this new career...
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
craigj532 wrote:
alex_korr wrote:
I was there today and also was in NYC last year. I struggled today as well after the 30k mark. There was a stretch there straight into the wind, maybe it would have been better to take the foot off the gas and make up the time in the last 4 miles cos it is a protected straightaway. I think that Gwen made the same mistake seeing how her time dropped between the 30k and 35k marks.

Didn’t hurt mo

she struggled from the start. it looks like the lead pack women followed some two guys to break wind for them - gwen is a foot taller than these girls
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is probably not a major factor, but anecdotally I find that women I work with who have little kids get sick more, kids seem to bring home all sorts of flu bugs and whatnot. So as Gwen's little guy gets older and interacts more with other kids, it may be more challenging for her to stay healthy compared to pre-kids.

I'm guessing she'll keep him anyway. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [Alice82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alice82 wrote:
Well I’d rather run a 2.36 than win a guessing game but it’s the little victories, haha.

Well dones to all for having a punt. Excellent performance, Yeti ;)

ALL RIGHT! I podiumed in silver!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
marklemcd wrote:
craigj532 wrote:
alex_korr wrote:

Didn’t hurt mo

she struggled from the start. it looks like the lead pack women followed some two guys to break wind for them - gwen is a foot taller than these girls

I was at the race today around the elite athletes pre/post (my wife raced in the elite field - was also sick and DNF just after 25k).

The weather wasn't perfect, but it was fairly good I'd say. Cool and periodic rain, mild winds. Naturally, everything gets magnified late in the marathon, but the conditions today were far better than a hot year.

I did find it odd that the race billed itself as 'having pacers back', but only had them for the men (not that it would have changed anything). Men had pacers targeting 62:15 and 65:30, none for women.

Gwen looked pretty disappointed after the race and was walking around pretty gingerly. Was wearing Nike Free's like slippers post-race (heel crushed down). All said, I'm sure she will bounce back from this. The cold/rain would not pair well with being even mildly sick.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might have been too fast for her fitness level today.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon Thread a/k/a how will Gwen do? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joan Benoit Samuelson

3:11 at 61

That's impressive
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Kudos to Jorgensen for chasing a new dream. Time for a nice vacation, maybe in Kona?

This reminds me of Mark Allen's pursuit of an Oly Mary Q time back in '94. Despite being able to run 2:40 at Kona, he was only able to get down to 2:25 in an open mary, vs the 2:19:59 required to run in the Men's Oly Mary Trials. Also, at the risk of bringing up a hated-by-ST guy, Kevin Moats ran 2:20:0X before he ever got into tri, but yet I don't think he ever got much below 3:00 in an iron mary. Can't recall all his results, perhaps he went 2:5X once or twice but nothing close to Allen's 2:40. Obv the iron mary and open mary are diff animals. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She must be gutted. Last year she ran 2:41 in New York off no long runs and triathlon training, including doing the Island House triathlons 1 week before the marathon.
New York is a few minutes slower than Chicago, so that she ran a 2:36 is maybe an improvement of 2-3 minutes.

Given that she has been concentrating on the marathon and has increased her mileage a lot, it really doesn't look good for her getting down to a sub2:20, which will be necessary is she wants to have a chance at a medal at the Olympics.

I agree that cycling as cross training is underrated for runners. Maybe the absolute elite need to just run, but the rest of us can probably do better by getting in decent run volume (<100k per week), backed up by bike volume.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just felt sorry yesterday when I saw her finish time...she blew up and was almost dragging for the last 12k...sick or no sick
Anyhow, Gwen seems a nice girl, and she has to make a living like everyone else. I have read a lot of stuff against her...well, she has taken advantage of what she did in triathlon and she is also a good promotion for everybody who is around...nobody in these days gives you something for free..
Maybe the real goal would be to qualify for Tokyo...who is able to beat all the Africans??? Going to Tokyo would be a huge accomplishment and I am sure she will try her best... winning? just unreal
This reminds me of Shelia Taormina, olympic in 3 different sports, gold medal in the swim relay but not as high profile as Gwen...

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon Thread a/k/a how will Gwen do? [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:
Joan Benoit Samuelson

3:11 at 61

That's impressive

yeah, i saw her name on the elite women's draw and was delighted. good on her for cranking that out.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon Thread a/k/a how will Gwen do? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On one of the last videos I saw of her she said something like she was doing pre-hab / strength, and recovery stuff like 6 hrs a day on top of running, I seriously question whether that iswhat she felt she signed up for when switching to running because she had more passion for the sport. Also nursing an Achilles injury which I know is not fun. In my case that never really went away without stopping running almost completely.

She said she had moved away from triathlon because she dreaded the pool and certain tedious parts of the training regimen, seems to me the marathon training has been just as much drudge work, and now she is seeing for very little reward.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChasingPB wrote:
Little wrinkle in the plot line... Gwen just mentioned being sick today in instagram... Interested to see what that's all about

Where is this mentioned?
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon Thread a/k/a how will Gwen do? [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think i call nonsense on the 6 hours/day figure. doesn't that seem high?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [dmagic17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In watching the race on TV, she looked caught off guard by the pace from the gun. There was a large gap she had to pull back by 400m and, although hard to see, she looked worried immediately. I think she knew she wouldn't have it today. She may know she doesn't have 'IT' period.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
I just felt sorry yesterday when I saw her finish time...she blew up and was almost dragging for the last 12k...sick or no sick
Anyhow, Gwen seems a nice girl, and she has to make a living like everyone else. I have read a lot of stuff against her...well, she has taken advantage of what she did in triathlon and she is also a good promotion for everybody who is around...nobody in these days gives you something for free..
Maybe the real goal would be to qualify for Tokyo...who is able to beat all the Africans??? Going to Tokyo would be a huge accomplishment and I am sure she will try her best... winning? just unreal
This reminds me of Shelia Taormina, olympic in 3 different sports, gold medal in the swim relay but not as high profile as Gwen...

She will be watching Tokyo on TV. The real goal, as has been suggested a number of times, is to pull a decent paycheck for a few years without having to travel the ITU circuit. After being blown out of contention at the Olympic Trials Marathon in Atlanta on 29 Feb 2020, she will most likely retire from competitive sport. Less than 17 months away to a new life.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Her sponsors and coach aren't going to drop her no matter how this next 1.5-2 years goes. That's imo precisely why she came to running. This was going to be her golden ticket to atleast 1 olympic cycle worth of "cashing in" on her tri olympic gold- even if it ends in utter disaster and doesn't make the team. But she gets to stay home with her hubs and kid every single day. Quick....has she traveled outside of the U.S. yet for a race or training since she moved to marathon running? That's the win she was looking for- stability and training on someone else's dime. But she's set for atleast this cycle for sure with sponsors and likely most defintely her coaching/training group. For better or worse she's going to cash those big sponsor checks and keep running with the group.

Right on. This is absolutely it. She is making - who knows - but maybe $300-500k a year doing this.

I do think she is earnestly pissed about the result, though.

Doesn't matter but: could she have made more money in the long-run doing a few 70.3's and being the #1 ambassador for USATriathlon?

On a side note: I'll need some odds but I'll take anyone up on a bet that she will be in Tokyo for the 2020 Olympics. I am saying she will be there (but as an announcer : )
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
Her sponsors and coach aren't going to drop her no matter how this next 1.5-2 years goes. That's imo precisely why she came to running. This was going to be her golden ticket to atleast 1 olympic cycle worth of "cashing in" on her tri olympic gold- even if it ends in utter disaster and doesn't make the team. But she gets to stay home with her hubs and kid every single day. Quick....has she traveled outside of the U.S. yet for a race or training since she moved to marathon running? That's the win she was looking for- stability and training on someone else's dime. But she's set for atleast this cycle for sure with sponsors and likely most defintely her coaching/training group. For better or worse she's going to cash those big sponsor checks and keep running with the group.

Right on. This is absolutely it. She is making - who knows - but maybe $300-500k a year doing this.

I do think she is earnestly pissed about the result, though.

Doesn't matter but: could she have made more money in the long-run doing a few 70.3's and being the #1 ambassador for USATriathlon?

On a side note: I'll need some odds but I'll take anyone up on a bet that she will be in Tokyo for the 2020 Olympics. I am saying she will be there (but as an announcer : )

I think you added an extra 0 to that income estimate. Pros don't get much money
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon Thread a/k/a how will Gwen do? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Post race video is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKVJUIa_xBI&t=0s

Reality settling in for her especially since everything seem to be going well up to the race. Her face when she finished and went up to Pat was hard to watch.
Last edited by: hubcaps: Oct 8, 18 12:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

I think you added an extra 0 to that income estimate. Pros don't get much money

An Olympic Gold medal is the most marketable achievement on earth. If she is only scratching out $50K on it she is doing something wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon Thread a/k/a how will Gwen do? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
i think i call nonsense on the 6 hours/day figure. doesn't that seem high?

She said she runs for 2 hours, gets treatment/does prehab for another 2 and lies in bed for four. So it is an eight hour day but most of it is sleeping and resting.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah, she's pulling in at least she 300k. Kara Goucher, although an attractive and likeable athlete, never won a gold medal and she made that much.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is exactly why I'm a fan of Lionel Sanders. he is not looking for any silver lining, just the facts of the matter. he knows, I know, and many others know, that he was ready to run in the 8:0x somewhere, but something serious is amiss. I hope that this shocks him enough to make the proper changes, I believe he knows what he has been doing wrong, but like most athletes, they hand over all responsibility to the internet. And it especially seems to be a thing with Canadians, going all the way back to my day. Stop being told what to do, and just do what all your years of top level training and performance tells you to do. Dont be so skinny, dont feel you have to run the mileage of other triathletes, just do what got you here. Maybe ride the bike again a bit, drop about 25% of the miles per week, eat some burgers, drink a beer..
Quote Reply

Prev Next