Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Travelling with my Canyon SpeedMax CF SLX
Quote | Reply
Hi.
Does anyone here have any experience with packing a Canyon SpeedMax CF SLX into a hard case?
Canyon doesn't recommend detaching the basebar and I can't seem to find any hard cases that will allow the packing of such a frame with the basebar as is.

Not a huge fan of soft cases... but the only recommendation I got from Canyon themselves was the scicon soft bag.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Travelling with my Canyon SpeedMax CF SLX [IronMeni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scicon all the way. Flown with it a bunch of times and no issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Travelling with my Canyon SpeedMax CF SLX [nhoya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nhoya wrote:
scicon all the way. Flown with it a bunch of times and no issues.
:)
But... seriously... Aren't you afraid they will throw it around and break/crack the frame?
And the wheels... I have a full disc wheel that I honestly don't think will survive the side pocket...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Did you find a solution? I'm also willing to buy and travel with a Speedmax but I wonder how easy it is...?

Thanks,
Nicolas
Quote Reply
Re: Travelling with my Canyon SpeedMax CF SLX [IronNico] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure why Canyon recommended against taking off the base bar. I did on several occasions and it didn't seem to cause any issues. Straight forward job.
Quote Reply
Re: Travelling with my Canyon SpeedMax CF SLX [jakesdk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Jake,

No problem with the cables? What kind of suitcase were you using?

I'm looking to buy the one with DuraAce (unfortunately no version in eTap =( which would have been less wires) and I'm a bit scared of travelling...

Overall, how easy would you describe dismantling the bike to put it in a box before a flight?

Thanks a million,
Nicolas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also did it for this Kona, but it was a bit pita cause I had to replace front brake cable.
I had to take it off completely to be able fully take base bar to the side and then it was impossible to put it through the cable stop. My one is S size so everything is really compacted, maybe with bigger there is more range of motion with cables attached.
Regarding Canyon recommendations - maybe they are afraid of threads getting worn out or getting loose after several iterations
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Premier Tactical hard case allows for the base bar to remain attached.

See this pic:

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronNico wrote:
Hello Jake,

No problem with the cables? What kind of suitcase were you using?

I'm looking to buy the one with DuraAce (unfortunately no version in eTap =( which would have been less wires) and I'm a bit scared of travelling...

Overall, how easy would you describe dismantling the bike to put it in a box before a flight?

Thanks a million,
Nicolas

I used a Bikend helium case. Took off the basebar, flipped it backwards and fixed it to top tube with some protection inbetween.

Fairly easy to travel with. About the same as my previous speed concept. I'm neutral about it. Would appreceiate a bike that was even easier to travel with. FYI it does not work with ruster sports case, as detaching the fork leads to having to recable front brake.

Friend of mine did the same with same bike and case. Both bikes are size S. Mine has the long stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I travelled this year with my SpeedMax CF SLX and I took the basebar off. Its a pita to get it in a safe position because there is barely enough slack in the rear brake cable but I got it off to the side and strapped it to the frame. Worked well and its only 4 screws to get it off. the worse part was taking the cockpit apart and getting it back into perfect position in a hotel room.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot for all the feedback. Much appreciated !

I indeed really wonder about the quality of this new Premier Bike case which seems really interesting indeed !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronNico wrote:
Thanks a lot for all the feedback. Much appreciated !

I indeed really wonder about the quality of this new Premier Bike case which seems really interesting indeed !

I have the case but have not had a chance to use it yet. It's very well made and designed.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Travelling with my Canyon SpeedMax CF SLX [msmolen72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, I'm looking at the Buxum Ventoux box for my yet-to-be-delivered Speedmax CF SLX. The problem is it requires the handlebars to rotate 90 degrees - maybe even a bit more, looking at the picture. Could anyone with a SpeedMax tell me if the handlebars will rotate 90 degrees? (And I'd like to order the box asap, to be able to travel when the bike arrives.)

Also, anyone tried the Premier box with the SpeedMax yet?

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Travelling with my Canyon SpeedMax CF SLX [yohcop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have sold about 15 of the Premier Hard Cases to Canyon Tri Bike owners. (9 Europe - 6 US)

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Last edited by: dkennison: Feb 18, 18 17:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same here, no problems at all. Just make sure you don't lose the bolts.
Quote Reply
Re: Travelling with my Canyon SpeedMax CF SLX [ItaloBrit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ItaloBrit wrote:
Same here, no problems at all. Just make sure you don't lose the bolts.

Hi, did you mean you can dismantle the Speedmax CF SLX handlebar without any issue?

Wondering if anybody here got photo of dismantled basebar fo example?

I just got the bike, but not sure if I can fit it into the BikeBoxAlan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Did you manage to find the correct Bikebox to fit travel the bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Travelling with my Canyon SpeedMax CF SLX [spaceact] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As mentioned in a few posts above, the Premiere Tactical Bike Box is a great option, been really happy with mine thus far.

It is possible to take the base bar of, 4x bolts (2x allen, 2x Torx). I just found not having to mess with it easier and the Premiere Tactical Bike Box solves that issue.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes! I got the Premier box as well. Just traveled to IMCHOO and it worked great.
Quote Reply
Re: Travelling with my Canyon SpeedMax CF SLX [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Brad for the info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks @yohcop for the info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

A few months ago I have bought a 2019 Speedmax CF SLX size L. Absolutely love it.

I will have my first flight with the bike to Kona this year and after reading around I cannot really find the right box yet.
I was thinking of either the Scicon Aerotech or the B&W bike case II. Any experience with these for the speedmax, would they fit without problems?
Lot's of people suggest the Scicon Aerocomfort but I am just too afraid of putting my bike in a soft case after seeing how they handle them.
The premier tactical bike case is not even available on their website so doesn't seem like any option.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Daniel
Quote Reply
Re: Travelling with my Canyon SpeedMax CF SLX [zuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I have tried to travel with original BikeBox Alan, it was painful to dismantle the bike.
After which I bought the scicon aerocomfort and used it twice. So far so good.

I emailed BikeBoxAlan early this year and they had intention to have triathlon box.
And I guess they have it now.
https://bikeboxalan.com/...yfit/?v=0f177369a3b7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a Canyon (bike is a Blue Triad SL), but I bought a Scicon Aerotech case earlier in the year to travel to Norway for a race. I'll also be using it in a month when I got to Kona. You'd have to remove the basebar, but it's a very well put together case and is pretty light at around 11kg. It's also a screaming good deal right now at Pro Bike Kit, where I got mine.

https://www.probikekit.com/...e-case/11761476.html

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Travelling with my Canyon SpeedMax CF SLX [zuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've travelled a fair bit with a size L SpeedMax SLX this year using a standard BikeBox Alan. It does fit, but there isnt a huge amount of extra room.

Will definitely need to remove: rear derailleur, pedals, seat post, base bar from the "stem". Depending on what extensions you run, this might be it (it worked for me with the Canyon L-shape extensions) - the nice thing here is that the set up will go back on the bike exactly when you reassemble. I changed position (angled risers) and extensions to something much more "mantis", but now need to also remove the extensions and the arm pads. Not the end of the world, but worth marking everything carefully with tape / alignment marks before you disassemble.
Quote Reply

Prev Next