Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Cervélo S5 2019
Quote | Reply
Because of the time zones it's my pleasure to start the thread .. https://www.cervelo.com/s5

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Last edited by: sausskross: May 25, 19 15:21
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.. and the tech paper .. https://www.cervelo.com/.../5/s5_tech_paper.pdf .. oSo >>

___/\___/\___/\___
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And the first ride review...

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/10/2019-cervelo-s5-disc-review/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And who needs data when you've got a swish new ad!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6QBptk6RrBM&feature=share

Go Tommy D!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.. and the new 2019 team bike .. https://www.cervelo.com/team-announcement

___/\___/\___/\___
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.. hm, the 58cm frame would still fit my specs .. (that frame size didn't change in the geo since the previous version) .. and the pro racers will ask for a lower and longer stem soon ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks great ...... but a question for all fellow owners of the “old” S5, rim brake model, who is planning to upgrade to the new S5 disc?? .......and if so, why? ...and if not, why not???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there some way of adding height to the stem or is there a whole range of bars with different width, reach, and height?
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [cgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.. after 80k km there is still nor reason to leave my (old) love .. oSo >>

___/\___/\___/\___
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [DeanV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.. check the tech paper linked above ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cgrubb wrote:
Looks great ...... but a question for all fellow owners of the “old” S5, rim brake model, who is planning to upgrade to the new S5 disc?? .......and if so, why? ...and if not, why not???

I'll upgrade. Already sold my 2nd gen S5. Nothing wrong with that bike, just I'm a fan of total cable integration and added aero is a plus anyway. Disc brakes... not a big fan of them, but that's the path industry has chosen. Still will have 2 rim brake bikes anyway.

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, will be sticking with my current S5.
I'm impressed by the design and the thought that has gone into making the proprietary bars less painful than the appearance would suggest.
However, having extracted the aero data and added it to my modelling (with weight difference for discs included) I get the new bike being only 3s faster for me over our 26km club races.
However, that doesn't account for the shallower drop bar being slower for me than the deep drop bar I can use on the current bike, so overall the new bike will be slower.
Of course, the new bike can use an adaptor for a normal stem, but in that configuration the performance is equal to the current bike so no point.

I would like the increased stiffness but I've never felt let down on the current bike (have topped out at 1600w)

And I really dislike disc brakes on road bikes. Nothing about the ownership experience of my gravel/training bike (which I like in every other regard) is an improvement and there are many downsides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gorgeous bike. i like the paint scheme on the S3 better however.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [DeanV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DeanV wrote:
Is there some way of adding height to the stem or is there a whole range of bars with different width, reach, and height?

I anticipate some sort of climbdown over the cockpit design. Or at least the introduction of a two piece version.

The industry loved once piece cockpits for a few years, but seems to be drifting away to neatly integrated two piece solutions because of the issues you just alluded to.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're not one piece, stem and bars are separate on the new S5.

Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a two-piece design. You can ad up to 30mm of spacers under the stem, and up to 5mm of spacers between stem and handlebar. There is also an option to tilt the bars slightly with the spacers between bar and stem.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying to you and Minimalist:

My mistake re: the current design.

Kind of illustrates my point about how neatly they're integrating two piece designs now, rather than using one-piece. I didn't even see that they were two separate parts!
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I won't be riding it either... no way that stem is equal to my slammed -17 stem on my current S5

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
I won't be riding it either... no way that stem is equal to my slammed -17 stem on my current S5

In the official photos, it's equal to -6 "traditional" (and probably 110mm length), however, -17 equivalent versions will be available separately as well, from 90 to 130mm.

Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mrlobber wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

In the official photos, it's equal to -6 "traditional" (and probably 110mm length), however, -17 equivalent versions will be available separately as well, from 90 to 130mm.

OK Maybe I'll rethink it, but I have my current 140mm stem slammed to the bearing on my current S5 so probably still not feasible.

Edit: I'm sure there's going to be a bunch of ProTour guys demanding a 140mm or even 150mm stem

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Oct 1, 18 3:45
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As we all know, pro tour & pro tri guys many times do have something we, mortals, don't :)

Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As interested as I've been in this bike, I'm having trouble getting past some of the verbiage describing it. "42 grams faster..." When did weight become a measurement of speed? If the reverse is true, could I be 5 mph lighter? Ugh.
Last edited by: FatandSlow: Oct 1, 18 4:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cannot believe it: Cervelo finally released a bike that actually..... looks good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was hoping they would have a fit chart or at least a fit calculator like they did with the P5X. The stack and reach in 54 cm are identical in the last gen but the v- stem makes it harder to figure out how to transfer my fit from the 2nd gen to this one.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
No, will be sticking with my current S5.
I'm impressed by the design and the thought that has gone into making the proprietary bars less painful than the appearance would suggest.
However, having extracted the aero data and added it to my modelling (with weight difference for discs included) I get the new bike being only 3s faster for me over our 26km club races.
However, that doesn't account for the shallower drop bar being slower for me than the deep drop bar I can use on the current bike, so overall the new bike will be slower.
Of course, the new bike can use an adaptor for a normal stem, but in that configuration the performance is equal to the current bike so no point.

Quoted for truth. This bike is as fast as its predecessor, and no faster. Just like the P5-X...and the P5. Which is one reason why I am still on a P4.

cyclenutnz wrote:
And I really dislike disc brakes on road bikes. Nothing about the ownership experience of my gravel/training bike (which I like in every other regard) is an improvement and there are many downsides.

Weren't you the one complaining about how an ee brake does not provide sufficient stopping power for someone your size?

The ownership experience notwithstanding, having disc brakes on your road bike is nice, especially when you ride that bike in a variety of conditions, especially wet and downhill / in city traffic / around cars requiring fast and frequent stops with laser sharp modulation.
Quote Reply

Prev Next