Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
NEW TRI BIKES 2019 // Felt, Pinarello, Cervelo, Specialized, Scott, Canyon
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,
I am browsing the forum on a daily basis in order to find the latest news on upcoming bikes and it takes me a while until I read through all those posts. So, in order to make our life easier I thought it might help to have all Tri-Bike 2019 news in one post.

What we know so far:

Pinarello Bolide Tri

Cameron Wurf was already riding it at Challenge Almere in the Netherlands and Pinarello just posted a picture on IG about the new Tri bike. It will have disc brakes and a storage as well as hydration compartment.

FELT IA

Felt will definitely update the IA range with disc brakes while rumor has it that there will be a complete design update maybe in 2020. Mirinda Carfrae will show her Kona Felt IA with disc brakes within the next days and we can already find some images for this online:

Cervelo P5

While the new colour scheme for the P5X is already in the shops we still have to wait for the launch of the new P5 which will be released in or around Kona. It will feature disc brakes, a double diamond frame as well as a new monostem cockpit similar to the TriRig one.
The new P5 as well as the S5 with disc brakes were presented in Germany during the Derby Cycling Show. But the bikes were hidden in a room were only retailers would have access and for sure there were no pictures allowed.
If you have further pictures or information please let us know since this is one of the most anticipated bikes for 2019. Those athletes who were lucky enough to get a sponsorship by Cervelo can decide in Kona weather they are going to ride the P5X or the new P5 disc as far as we heard.

S-Works Shiv

Just like every year we are waiting for an update on the shiv. While there have been several comments on the new dealer catalogue which seems to offer a new Shiv with disc brakes (unfortunately without pictures) it is still questionable if the new Shiv will be released in the near future.

Canyon

Canyon didn´t give any information about an updated version of the Speedmax CF SLX but at least there will be an aero update for Patrick Lange which will be released on the 4th of October. There is almost no information about what it is but it was designed together with Swiss Side and also we don´t know if it will be available for mortals.

Scott

The most quiet brand is probably Scott. So far there hasn´t been any information or announcements about a new Scott Plasma and most likely we´ll have to wait for another year or two. Please let us know if you´ve heard anything from here.

Since many people are currently thinking about a new tri bike as most of the current models (except BMC, P5X) are out there for quite some years I hope it helps if we gather some information here. We all now that the bike from 2005 are still fast and that the main factor of the bike is the rider but still it´ll help to know when new bikes and industry trend are coming up
Quote Reply
Re: NEW TRI BIKES 2019 // Felt, Pinarello, Cervelo, Specialized, Scott, Canyon [Chris_Mint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh lordy, that Pinarello silhouette looks sharp. Any chance the frame will be sub $8k unlike the $12k+ TT Bolide? :/
Quote Reply
Re: NEW TRI BIKES 2019 // Felt, Pinarello, Cervelo, Specialized, Scott, Canyon [Chris_Mint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Pinarello does look sharp but I’m not going to hold out any hope on pricing.

My LBS has told me a new Shiv will debut at Kona and that it will debut as a fully loaded “S-Works” model while they work through their existing frames. The only details given were “disc brake, Di2, power meter, and SWAT Storage.”
Quote Reply
Re: NEW TRI BIKES 2019 // Felt, Pinarello, Cervelo, Specialized, Scott, Canyon [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
The only details given were “disc brake, Di2, power meter, and SWAT Storage.”

That describes it extremely accurately, actually.
Quote Reply
Re: NEW TRI BIKES 2019 // Felt, Pinarello, Cervelo, Specialized, Scott, Canyon [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Oh lordy, that Pinarello silhouette looks sharp. Any chance the frame will be sub $8k unlike the $12k+ TT Bolide? :/

very, very, very unlikely.

Also, where are these spy shots of Rinny and her disc'd up IA you speak of?
Quote Reply
Re: NEW TRI BIKES 2019 // Felt, Pinarello, Cervelo, Specialized, Scott, Canyon [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
The Pinarello does look sharp but I’m not going to hold out any hope on pricing.

My LBS has told me a new Shiv will debut at Kona and that it will debut as a fully loaded “S-Works” model while they work through their existing frames. The only details given were “disc brake, Di2, power meter, and SWAT Storage.”

What is SWAT storage?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: NEW TRI BIKES 2019 // Felt, Pinarello, Cervelo, Specialized, Scott, Canyon [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s a term Specialized has used in the past for frame integrated storage... mostly on mountain bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just looking at Specialized's canadian site (not for a triathlon bike, but I did click that section) and there is no Shiv on their website. So something is up.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: NEW TRI BIKES 2019 // Felt, Pinarello, Cervelo, Specialized, Scott, Canyon [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, something is up. i think specialized put a lot of thought into this one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There will also be a new Giant Trinity Advanced Pro 0, the top of the line model. The 2019 1 and 2 have been released, but no 0 to be found anywhere. I imagine it will be only disc brakes though, so nothing too exciting.

It would be difficult to improve on an already top bike, just like the Scott and Canyon, which offer the complete package.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

As far as i know the original Felt IA also had an integrated drinking system but it seems that it was removed due to a patent owned by Specialized.
But my mechanic told me that the new IA will have that integrated system as well. So maybe the patent on that expired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Yeah Specialized stopped that real quick. Also, patents are for 20 years so I'm not sure how Felt got around it if they add it to the new IAs.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard from a major specialized dealer there is no new shiv for 2019. They have already set their orders for 2019. Maybe something at Kona but not for 2019 order which would be strange.
Quote Reply
Re: NEW TRI BIKES 2019 // Felt, Pinarello, Cervelo, Specialized, Scott, Canyon [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:
There will also be a new Giant Trinity Advanced Pro 0, the top of the line model. The 2019 1 and 2 have been released, but no 0 to be found anywhere. I imagine it will be only disc brakes though, so nothing too exciting.

It would be difficult to improve on an already top bike, just like the Scott and Canyon, which offer the complete package.

I think it is right, bikes like the Scott, Canyon or others are already top bikes. Within the recent years there hasn´t been any very large improvement on the aerodynamics at all. But still I would think that the brands want to catch up with the latest trends. Even if it doesn´t create new break throughs in the matter of aerodynamics but updating only the colour scheme every year does not do the job.
I really like the Plasma but when I am willing to spent 10k I want to make sure, that it is the most updated bike and that there won´t be any complete new model from Scott right after I bought the old one.
As soon as for example Scott comes up with disc brakes, a better hydration system and some storage space for training rides on their plasma I would directly start shipping my money to Switzerland :)
Quote Reply
Re: NEW TRI BIKES 2019 // Felt, Pinarello, Cervelo, Specialized, Scott, Canyon [bamatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This year is special,
Mr. Trump and his newest strike and tariff numbers are creating everyone problems. Especially the China producer will simply have to wait what happens after Oct.7 when the new tariffs are out.
I don't know how and if Taiwan producers are affected.
Quote Reply
Re: NEW TRI BIKES 2019 // Felt, Pinarello, Cervelo, Specialized, Scott, Canyon [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

Yeah Specialized stopped that real quick. Also, patents are for 20 years so I'm not sure how Felt got around it if they add it to the new IAs.

for 20years? wow.
Maybe Specialized used it for as long as it gave them a unique selling point. But since other bike maunfacturers found other ways maybe they partly sold their patent as it wasn´t valuable anymore.
I am just guessing here but the last show of "The Tim and Rinny Show" showed the all new Felt IA with disc brakes and with this interesting detail:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carfrae having hydration doesn't mean anything as it's not being sold to the public.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Sep 28, 18 8:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris_Mint wrote:
BryanD wrote:

for 20years? wow.
Maybe Specialized used it for as long as it gave them a unique selling point. But since other bike maunfacturers found other ways maybe they partly sold their patent as it wasn´t valuable anymore.
I am just guessing here but the last show of "The Tim and Rinny Show" showed the all new Felt IA with disc brakes and with this interesting detail:

That's actually Rinny's old bike. If you look - there's no disc brakes on it. The spy pic was from Michelle Vesterby's insta feed a while back - and it will probably be the other bike but the bike she used in Augusta is her old IA.

The new bike looks pretty sweet too tho.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: NEW TRI BIKES 2019 // Felt, Pinarello, Cervelo, Specialized, Scott, Canyon [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That photo was when the IA first came out and had a straw. No one is claiming it's the new IA.

Quote Reply
Re: NEW TRI BIKES 2019 // Felt, Pinarello, Cervelo, Specialized, Scott, Canyon [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
That photo was when the IA first came out and had a straw. No one is claiming it's the new IA.

Pretty easy to put the specialized bladder into the Felt yourself. There was someone selling an aftermarket top tube cover with the straw hole etc. But you could even use the original calpac (which I have) and cut the bottom out, then re-close the bottom deeper with some gorilla tape, sit bladder in there...
I currently use my calpac to hold a spare tube......next to useless...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I read this quote as implying the the last show showed the new bike with the hydration detail, therefore my post...I could have misinterpreted but someone implied it was as I read it. Sorry about that!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris_Mint wrote:
BryanD wrote:

for 20years? wow.

That’s a custom mod Rinny has been running for a few years now.
Quote Reply
Re: NEW TRI BIKES 2019 // Felt, Pinarello, Cervelo, Specialized, Scott, Canyon [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:

I read this quote as implying the the last show showed the new bike with the hydration detail, therefore my post...I could have misinterpreted but someone implied it was as I read it. Sorry about that!

All good.
But she actually has two bikes with the same colour scheme but one is with disc brakes and one without. But the hydration system looks new to me on both bikes.
The previous show showed the bike a bit better:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great catch!

ETA - it makes sense if she is using it on the old one she would modify it for the new one too. Same frame set up...

Last edited by: dfru: Sep 28, 18 8:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I promise you she’s been running that hydration system for a while.
Quote Reply

Prev Next