Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hong Fu TM6 Avenger Brakes and rear wheel width ???
Quote | Reply
Hi Guys,
About to order an Avenger, but can anyone clarify what brakes are compatible.
By all accounts they're both direct mount, but the only picture I've found of the front brake is of the TRP mini v-brake style.
Will the rear accept one of the Shimano BR-R8010 numbers?
Also, does anyone know what wheel width fits in the frame?
Thanks,
Pat.
Quote Reply
Re: Hong Fu TM6 Avenger Brakes and rear wheel width ??? [Avoneer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Avoneer wrote:
Hi Guys,
About to order an Avenger, but can anyone clarify what brakes are compatible.
By all accounts they're both direct mount, but the only picture I've found of the front brake is of the TRP mini v-brake style.
Will the rear accept one of the Shimano BR-R8010 numbers?
Also, does anyone know what wheel width fits in the frame?
Thanks,
Pat.

They announced a Disc brake version recently (not on website yet, but on their facebook-page). Might wanna check that out (resale value or if you just like disc brakes better).

As for the rear, I'm not sure..
Quote Reply
Re: Hong Fu TM6 Avenger Brakes and rear wheel width ??? [Cnasta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
Thanks for that, but I'll be staying with rim brakes.
Not enough wheel choices to justify discs yet and I've never had a problem stopping with rim brakes.
Pat.
Quote Reply
Re: Hong Fu TM6 Avenger Brakes and rear wheel width ??? [Avoneer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watch for cable interference with the chainrings.

These are the listed calipers for that bike: https://www.aliexpress.com/...ear/32820170280.html

Quote Reply
Re: Hong Fu TM6 Avenger Brakes and rear wheel width ??? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's perfect. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you manage to mount a Shimano BR-R8010-R onto the bike? I am trying to do the same thing, but the threads of the TRP stand-offs are much larger than the 5mm Shimano bolts.
Quote Reply
Re: Hong Fu TM6 Avenger Brakes and rear wheel width ??? [jerome2710] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Due to lack of response from HongFu, I went a different route and bought a different bike.

So sorry, can't help.

Pat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Posting here primarily to try and center a discussion somewhere....

I scooped up a Hongfu FM109 the other day and am trying to piece it together. It looks like I need to get my hands on these TRP brakes, and they are unobtanium. I'll be searching for the forseeable future it looks like.

As for the direct mount rear brake, I think you need a threaded reducer to get the M8 canti stud holes to fit the M6 brake bolt. I don't have my hands on either yet, but that's probably what I'll try as finding a T922.1 and then spending $70 on it sounds kind of dumb...
Quote Reply
Re: Hong Fu TM6 Avenger Brakes and rear wheel width ??? [sandwich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agree. The Shimano direct mount brake provided me with a lot more stopping power than the TRP. Not to mention ease of use, as the TRP is a bit more fiddly as well.

It has been a while, but I machined new studs with a thread to mount the Shimano brake in the TM6. A friend has a lathe at home. It might be a bit MacGyver, but the brakes haven't failed me yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Hong Fu TM6 Avenger Brakes and rear wheel width ??? [jerome2710] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply! So you had a post made that has a female M6 with a male M8 to screw into the old holes and stand a little bit "proud" from the chainstays? I am thinking of something like this: https://www.amazon.com/...BUJXO458GJ&psc=1 which will either thread into the old hole making it smaller for the brake bolt, or threading it onto the brake bolt then just tightening it into the old hole. I don't really know which is better!

The bigger problem may be the front brake. Where the heck can I get one of the TRP TTV brakes? I can't even run mini-V's as the holes are all wrong. I may end up drilling a new hole just to try.

Also, was there another TM6 thread? I can see it in google image searches but can't actually open the thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Hong Fu TM6 Avenger Brakes and rear wheel width ??? [sandwich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would a Fouriers for a Propel or Trinity work?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So you had a post made that has a female M6 with a male M8 to screw into the old holes and stand a little bit "proud" from the chainstays?

Correct.

The Helicoil / thread adapters might be an option too. I eventually made the posts myself as I got frustrated receiving non-fitting parts after waiting on shipping as few times. Yours might work, but I thought that a couple of times while ordering as well, haha!

Are you missing the front brake as well? You might try sending Hong Fu a message, as the brakes came with the frame. They may have some laying around still.

There might have been another topic, although I have consulted other forums as well regarding my front brake issues:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Would a Fouriers for a Propel or Trinity work?
Maybe yes, maybe no. It's hard to tell without having one. The original brake is 65mm long with a spring hole above the post, something that is specific to the TTV. The fouriers are 75mm long (as far as I can tell) and I don't know where the spring locator is. The other bit is the "noodle holder" or lack thereof.

jerome2710 wrote:
Quote:
So you had a post made that has a female M6 with a male M8 to screw into the old holes and stand a little bit "proud" from the chainstays?

Correct.

The Helicoil / thread adapters might be an option too. I eventually made the posts myself as I got frustrated receiving non-fitting parts after waiting on shipping as few times. Yours might work, but I thought that a couple of times while ordering as well, haha!

Are you missing the front brake as well? You might try sending Hong Fu a message, as the brakes came with the frame. They may have some laying around still.

There might have been another topic, although I have consulted other forums as well regarding my front brake issues:

Awesome! I've been using your posts to try and figure out what I could possibly use as a replacement. I have an email out to Hongfu, lambda racing, and TRP to see about a front brake. The only one I can find is on ebay for $100 with no pads, no noodle holder, and missing parts. I have to place an order with them anyways as my frame came without the lower brake shield and handlebars. Still, it was very cheap, and all said and done it should come under $500 USD total if I can find a suitable brake setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mr. Jerome,
Can you confirm that you have functional shimano direct mount brakes on your TM6? Do you know what model you have, or can you post a photo? Before I buy a brake I want to have some reasonable expectation that this is going to work. I can't find anything that indicates that the "u-brake" mount and the shimano direct mount standard are similar, but if you were able to get it to work, then there's hope!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello hello Mr. Sandwich,

Yesss, I can confirm the brake works for me. Lambda Racing also sells the TM6 with the Shimano upgrade over the TRP. The full name is the Shimano Ultegra BR-R8010 direct mount bottom bracket rear brake. It needs some customization, but once fitted it performs much better than the TRP. Removing the rear wheel is much easier as well, with the quick-release adjuster thingy to spread the pads.

I actually drilled out the Shimano bushings the first time, looking at the photos now. By doing so, I could use the originally provided posts/studs of the TM6. Do you have these? I believe they turned out a bit too short and thin, which caused the brake to rattle. So after that I machined the ones I have now. They aren't perfect either, but it works.

Please find the photos attached (check that lovely carbon Aerocoach 58T chainring as well, still love it). The pretty one is by the courtesy of Lambda Racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello again, starting to piece things together and it looks like a great fit for the brake on the original ubrake mounts. However, where did you mount the inline disconnect? Up top or down below? I didn't know I needed one, but curious about routing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Seems to have worked!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to hear you're making progress. Did you manage to thread it in already as well?

I believe I left the inline disconnect out. But it looks like you also bought the 105 instead of the Ultegra, which might be a bit different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All bolted up, not test fitted with a wheel yet though. Looks like the Lambda bikes picture at least!

I'm debating the inline disconnect- didn't know I needed one. Can get by with barrel adjuster but would be nice to do it correctly. I suppose if you get a flat in a TT then your day is pretty much over anyways!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice, congrats!

Quote:
I suppose if you get a flat in a TT then your day is pretty much over anyways!

This.. I just push my disc wheel in with the tire a bit deflated and never felt the need for an inline disconnect or barrel adjuster. Just another part that could fail or cause issues during the ride. I have the SRAM S-990 brake levers which would allow to adjust the cable tension.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey so I finally have handlebars, brakes, and am putting everything together...slowly.

I'm curious if you found a 15 degree solution to the aerobars, or if you never bothered. I see a few options out there including Revolver wheels and "Seraph" which appears to be an open mold vendor. They swear up and down their stuff is only compatible with their own stuff, even though it looks identical to the hong fu garbage. I'd love the cleanest solution but I'm not certain it's going to actually work:

The revolver ones:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sandwich wrote:
I'm curious if you found a 15 degree solution to the aerobars, or if you never bothered. I see a few options out there including Revolver wheels and "Seraph" which appears to be an open mold vendor. They swear up and down their stuff is only compatible with their own stuff, even though it looks identical to the hong fu garbage. I'd love the cleanest solution but I'm not certain it's going to actually work

I am not a fan of adding an angle to the riser, tilting both the pads and the aerobars. The UCI-rules (although slightly adjusted for 2023) are quite strict on pad to aerobar stack and reach. I felt like straight bars with angled pads works best for me.

By using 51 Speedshop bars and 3D printed angles for the pads, my arms align perfectly with the shifter: https://www.instagram.com/p/BtYJHWZlsIu/

A user named Kingswann on the British time trialing forum makes them for all sorts of bikes/frames/setups: http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/120877-aero-bar-wedges-to-angle-the-aero-pads-up/
Quote Reply