Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM 70.3 CT — what’s up?
Quote | Reply
It was supposed to open for registration today, along with Maine. It has been delayed without explanation. I saw an earlier suggestion that there were some grumbling municipalities. Is this race happening?
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 CT — what’s up? [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I deferred this year's 70.3 to next year, and wrote to them after I heard it was not going to be a Rev3 event anymore. I have not heard anything back yet, but I will post if I hear anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
It was supposed to open for registration today, along with Maine. It has been delayed without explanation. I saw an earlier suggestion that there were some grumbling municipalities. Is this race happening?

no reason to expect it NOT to happen. maybe they wanted to stagger the openings? i do recall them saying that it would open the same day as VA and ME, but we will see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I signed up for the "Remind me" (about the registration opening) and haven't received anything yet. I did sign up for Maine a few hours ago. It was a fun race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that they are being more cautious with permitting here. I'd lean towards 85% confidence of the race happening, just getting their ducks in a row first.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 CT — what’s up? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
I think that they are being more cautious with permitting here. I'd lean towards 85% confidence of the race happening, just getting their ducks in a row first.

what do you mean more cautious with permitting? I know some of the locals in the area are upset about it, but what else could they do? unless they change the course somehow?
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 CT — what’s up? [BabaBooey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Permits for the race had not been issued as of yet. The town of Woodbury was delaying action on the permitting for the event until, if I remember correctly, this month's meeting. It would appear based on some activity over on the former Rev3 Quassy Facebook group that registration will be opening in October, suggesting either a.) they have secured permitting for the former course, or b.) they have secured permitting/assurances that a new bike course will be permitted.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recognize your name now, from the Rev3 quassy page. was it you that mentioned they wouldn't be able to do a safe 2 loop course there?

good to know re the permits. I hope it gets resolved soon. the longer they wait, the more it will impact registration. people prepping for IMLP will look elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. Roads are too narrow around the park. It's a substandard width travel lane with no shoulder.

I would take registration opening as a positive -- for wholly owned and operated events, I would be hard pressed to think that they would open registration at this point if they were not extremely confident of everything being squared away (especially in the light of the Princeton 70.3 debacle). My guess is that the bike course changes a little bit but not overwhelmingly so.

And, well, to be fair...where else are IMLPers going to turn? Patriot and Eagleman are flatter (although that's really not a bad thing for Placid prep), Tupper Lake is bordering on late, White Mountains IS late...Quassy weekend is just about perfect to build off of and get into LP prep mode.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Yup. Roads are too narrow around the park. It's a substandard width travel lane with no shoulder.

I would take registration opening as a positive -- for wholly owned and operated events, I would be hard pressed to think that they would open registration at this point if they were not extremely confident of everything being squared away (especially in the light of the Princeton 70.3 debacle). My guess is that the bike course changes a little bit but not overwhelmingly so.

And, well, to be fair...where else are IMLPers going to turn? Patriot and Eagleman are flatter (although that's really not a bad thing for Placid prep), Tupper Lake is bordering on late, White Mountains IS late...Quassy weekend is just about perfect to build off of and get into LP prep mode.

Correct.

And there's no more Syracuse so Quassy is pretty much it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

I raced Princeton, I know the towns hated it. what was the debacle after? agree its a positive. will be good to get it on the calendar. selfishly, if I want to do that race, I wont have another option since patriot sells out real quick. looking at the map, it doesn't look like woodbury has much of the race. what's their problem?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

And this is my dilemma - which you and I have already chatted about on Facebook, but I'm going to keep bitching about IM sucking up all the races. I'd really like to support White Mountain as a local race, but it's later than I would like given that I'm already committed to IMLP. I can't justify the travel to upstate NY twice to do Tupper Lake.

So, I'm also sat here waiting for Quassy... I mean, IM 70.3 - to open. Gah!
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 CT — what’s up? [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had we, collectively, as an athlete base had gone to White Mountains when it was early June, it would be perfect. But we all went to Quassy, or Syracuse, or Eagleman, or Tremblant. So they moved it to July, which has resulted in way more people doing the Olympic than doing the half (because you can't do a half that difficult that close to LP). I loved racing it the first two years.

$10 says this sells out in the first week it's open.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
White Mountains is June 22, 2019. Might still be too late for LP prep, but not July.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 CT — what’s up? [JDinMA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huh. Back to June. Well that's a good move!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

A lot of people seem to do Tupper Lake as a tune up, which I'd like to do but at 4 weeks out that seems too late to me. White Mountains is a week earlier so 5 weeks, but that also seems late. Patriot gives you an additional week, but may still be too late and it doesn't sound like the terrain is similar. There is also the Harryman Triathlon in mid-May, but perhaps that's too early. What is the best timing?
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 CT — what’s up? [macwhinb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What is the best timing?

That's really individual, IMO. I felt pretty fresh going into Rev3 Cedar Point 140.6 back in the day off of doing a 70.3 two weeks prior. But then I went and worked 50+ hours at the expo the four days prior which didn't bode well for my day at the office...

I think anywhere in the 4-8 week range out is a really decent barometer, and then it's just how you stack your build around that. For example, I'm doing IMFL this year, and just did AC 70.3. I got a day off and am building volume the next 3 weeks out off of that - AC was really the "kickoff" of my few peak weeks. Then two week taper into FL. If it were later, I would probably have done more volume first, then race week (probably less shaved and tapered into the 70.3), and then a week similar to this one before shutting it down into taper mode.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
macwhinb wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

A lot of people seem to do Tupper Lake as a tune up, which I'd like to do but at 4 weeks out that seems too late to me. White Mountains is a week earlier so 5 weeks, but that also seems late. Patriot gives you an additional week, but may still be too late and it doesn't sound like the terrain is similar. There is also the Harryman Triathlon in mid-May, but perhaps that's too early. What is the best timing?

ive never heard any feedback on Harryman. although it looks really hilly and its 4 loops. also an olympic race at the same time (2 loops) so potential for confusion and crowding. but the park is quiet. not sure how far back it was but i did quassy as a prep for IMMT in 2016 and it was fine. worked it into my plan accordingly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
macwhinb wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

Quassy. Quassy is the best timing. A true test on the right kind of elevation with enough time to recover and make necessary changes to the training if you need.

I went to Chatty this year as my warm-up race (late May) - a little early, and the acclimation to the 90F+ heat and humidity was tough for someone coming out of 47F Maine. But I also have family in the area, which made it about more than just the race for me.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 CT — what’s up? [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to miss the Olympic distance race, that was one of my favs. Also too bad they can't call it "Quassy" anymore and instead call it "Connecticut". That's rather dull and takes a lot of the charm and recognition of this race away. I'm guessing WTC probably didn't want to pay the park for the rights to use "Quassy"? Shame.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Sep 27, 18 8:06
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 CT — what’s up? [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They changed the one in VA to IM70.3 virginia. probably just to help re-brand it, regionalize it. that said i like the whale tail at the end of the state name. an ode to the old Hartford Whalers hockey team perhaps? Whaling was a large business in the 1800's. or they could call it IM70.3 overtaxed. because we are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any word on the permits and when/if registration will open??

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 CT — what’s up? [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping this one up

Anyone??? I sent two emails to Ironman but haven't gotten any response. Anyone else concerned about this? I secured housing back in early September. And would love to know if this race is a go or not.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You won't have received a response because WTC's had a mess of a fall:

• Wilmington cancelled;
  • Chattanooga swim cancelled;
  • Kona prep (pretty much swallows the back half of September)
  • IM Lou this weekend for all other staff
  • Now dealing with the possibility of IMFL being modified/cancelled too

That said, last I heard it was opening later this month.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also asked about IMCT because it wasn't on the list to choose from for those of us displaced from IMNC. The official response from WTC:
"Details are still being finalized for IRONMAN 70.3 Connecticut, so I am also unsure of when registration for that event will open."

So there you have it. Exactly no information. My cynical guess is that they open it next week after the deadline passes for the free transfer for the IMNC athletes.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply

Prev Next