Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a Lincoln MKZ, I can fit my entire bike in my trunk, with the backseat down, without taking off the front wheel. Plus, fit an extra wheelset, pump, tools, helmet and bag with plenty of room to spare.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok-update for you Twain..my bike (with both wheels off) will barely fit into the "trunk",but the cover then won't fit,so is visible.For me I will stick with whole bike in back with back seats down (however,then you can only have one passenger!)
Anyway-still a great car,I've had a CRV and the Audi A6 before and I'm happy with my little Countryman,also the dealership here has excellent service.
Cheers!!
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [Mrnchk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mrnchk wrote:
Ok-update for you Twain..my bike (with both wheels off) will barely fit into the "trunk",but the cover then won't fit,so is visible.For me I will stick with whole bike in back with back seats down (however,then you can only have one passenger!)
Anyway-still a great car,I've had a CRV and the Audi A6 before and I'm happy with my little Countryman,also the dealership here has excellent service.
Cheers!!

Thanks for the awesome update!
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I have a 2010 Honda Element with 110,000 miles on it and am wondering what I'm going to do when it is no longer highway trustworthy.

I've got a 2006 Element with 150,000 miles on it. It was my primary car but now my teenagers drive it. I do have an alert set on cars.com for a clean, low mileage 2011. I almost snagged one with barely 40k a few months ago.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a Carvan, could fit my road bike sideways just behind the front seats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toyota 4runner

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [Ken W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The VW Arteon looks like an A5 Sportback with ... more space! I think this might be the one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK5aoyWGGpc

Looking forward to it's availability here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks interesting. Any idea as to how this will compare price-wise with the A5 Sportback?

twain wrote:
The VW Arteon looks like an A5 Sportback with ... more space! I think this might be the one!

Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [Ken W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken W wrote:
Looks interesting. Any idea as to how this will compare price-wise with the A5 Sportback?

twain wrote:

I read somewhere that it would be less than $40k, of course, I can't find that link any more.
So basically, it's the Sportback for less money and more space though maybe not quite as luxurious inside. Performance-wise, I bet they are fairly similar.
You can sign up for updates at the VW site
http://www.vw.com/...on/section/masthead/

Interestingly, back in 2002, VW had the V-8 version of the Passat called the W8. It was the poor man's version of an Audi A6 4.2; slightly detuned engine but essentially in the A4 body with a stretched wheelbase, also available as a wagon.
The Arteon seems to be following suit - shorter chassis though stretched.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [irongirl101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
irongirl101 wrote:
Until recently we had a 2014 Mazda 3 hatch - traded it in a couple of months for a (2018) VW Golf R hatch. Both cars fit my bike inside without taking the wheels off. Might be also relevant to mention that I’m riding Small sized bike frames.

The Mazda has more space in the back and I took the TT bike to the VW dealership in order to check the Golf - hubby was very pleased it fitted!

Do you think you can fit a mountain bike in one? I'm in the market for a new car and I was considering a GTI.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Closing the loop on this -

From all of this feedback, I was really excited about the Audi A5 Sportback and VW Arteon.
Unfortunately the Arteon isn't due until September at the earliest. But I decided to check out the A5.

In true tri-geek fashion, I headed to the Audi dealer with my road bike stuffed in to the trunk of my 2001 Audi A6; wheels off but completely hidden in the trunk to test drive and bike-fit the A5.
Drove the A5; sweet car though a bit too "performance-oriented" for my 50+ years. Still would have bought it -- if the bike fit in the trunk!
Thank goodness the saleswoman was totally accommodating and let me geek out trying to put the bike in the trunk.
So yep, took the bike frame and wheels out and tried to place them in the trunk area of the A5. The trunk was just about 1 inch too short. No way to make it fit without dropping the seats. Bummer!
So then I went in to the showroom and tried the A4. No dice; exactly the same as the A5. So I tried the larger new A6. Bingo, plenty of room, just like in my old car.

So this meant "back to square one". Getting another A6.
I found a used 2016 model with the 3 liter turbo in blue, very similar to the two blue A6's I've owned for the past 17 years. Perfect car!
- Wanted to buy it but there is an open recall on it; something to do with the "fuel rails". So even though I wanted to buy it "that day", I couldn't! For some recalls, dealers can't sell the used car until there is a remedy.
- More importantly, my wife threatened a divorce if I got "Another GD Blue Audi just like your other two!"

So what to do? All A6's with this recall aren't available to buy "right now". How to get out of this predicament?

Answer - found a used Audi S6 in dark grey. The S6 is the performance version of the A6 that has a different engine without the recall. As a bonus, it also has 450 HP vs 335.
Additionally, because it's grey, my wife thinks it's a different car and is now happy but doesn't really know it has 50% more power and better gas mileage than my old 300hp A6.
But the bike still fits in the trunk, seats up, hidden from view.

Bingo! Couldn't be happier!

Thanks for everyone's feedback. It's been fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice! Congrats on convincing your wife for the S6!

Really love to see this thread as I'm a big car guy and always on the lookout for what's next. Good to see my favorites (A5/S5/A7/S7 Sportback, V60 and Stinger) discussed quite a bit.

While the Honda Element trumps all for bike transporting (and sleeping/living in), after I settled down and started driving mountain roads regularly, the power and handling all of a sudden became a huge issue. Picked up an F30 335i for a ridiculous deal and it's been incredible. The bikes (58cm) went into the car at first with front wheel off, but now that a baby seat is permanently installed, I've started using a Yakima frontloader roof rack with a system that involves dragging a large bucket in front of my garage spot before I leave so that I have a visual cue to not destroy all that I love in one mistake.

It's worked great so far (and I kind of like having the bike on top to look at sometimes...), but if I could somehow find something that could fit a bike (front wheel off and fork mounted is fine) next to a car seat but also be low to the ground with good power and great handling that would be the Grail!

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [JourneyToGoPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am still squeezing my bike into the back of my M4. Patiently waiting for the Ford Bronco to come out.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No can do with a Tesla 3. Miss my Prius hatchback.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can’t fit a bike in a Telsa? I was sure it would fit with that kinda hatch back trunk

Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
You can’t fit a bike in a Telsa? I was sure it would fit with that kinda hatch back trunk

Model 3. You have to take the front wheel off. Not the case for a model S or X.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh front wheel is not bad! The Hard thing with a M4 is just such a tight fit you have to be carful not to scratch the bars.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>Unfortunately the Arteon isn't due until September at the earliest.

Where did you hear this? Dealer? I am very interested - all the press indicated spring 2019 release (pushed back from original fall 2018). I have no doubt you're correct, but there's nothing in the press about pushing back again to Fall 2019 (I assume then as a 2020 MY)

Thanks.
Last edited by: Johnny_G: Mar 3, 19 15:33
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [Johnny_G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Johnny_G wrote:
>>Unfortunately the Arteon isn't due until September at the earliest.

Where did you hear this? Dealer? I am very interested - all the press indicated spring 2019 release (pushed back from original fall 2018). I have no doubt you're correct, but there's nothing in the press about pushing back again to Fall 2019 (I assume then as a 2020 MY)

Thanks.

Yep, called a dealer and they said September at the earliest. Bummer!

That said, look for a used A6 or S6 :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks. Yeah. A7 an option too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
Oh front wheel is not bad! The Hard thing with a M4 is just such a tight fit you have to be carful not to scratch the bars.

Agreed. Removing front wheel with aquick release is fine as long as the bike slides in and out easy. Wonder how the new M4 Gran coupe that's planned will be...

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [JourneyToGoPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohhh I am excited!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RallySavage wrote:
No can do with a Tesla 3. Miss my Prius hatchback.

I would have no problem taking the front wheel off if my wife would let me get a Model 3. ;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next