Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Princeton CarbonWorks "white paper" [Paul at PCW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul at PCW wrote:
When I read this, I have a hard time imagining this being a real problem that requires a solution. Meaning, normal circular rims have been around forever and stresses at the nipple are very rarely problematic. I'd also think stress dissipation is just as much a function of the fiber type and layup, as it is of the design of the rim. And also - the images don't seem to show anything being under compression - in fact I would think the 'valleys' in between two spokes on your rims are more likely to be under compression than the area in between spokes in a standard wheel. No?
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton CarbonWorks "white paper" [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wheels crack at the spoke nipples all the time. Aluminum and carbon both. Whether or not this will fix that, i have no idea. Outside of geometry, the matrix system and layup are most important for preventing cracking; i doubt fiber failure will occur.
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton CarbonWorks "white paper" [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Wheels crack at the spoke nipples all the time. Aluminum and carbon both. Whether or not this will fix that, i have no idea. Outside of geometry, the matrix system and layup are most important for preventing cracking; i doubt fiber failure will occur.
How often is all the time? Just wondering because I don't know of anyone actually having that happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton CarbonWorks "white paper" [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
Paul at PCW wrote:
When I read this, I have a hard time imagining this being a real problem that requires a solution. Meaning, normal circular rims have been around forever and stresses at the nipple are very rarely problematic. I'd also think stress dissipation is just as much a function of the fiber type and layup, as it is of the design of the rim. And also - the images don't seem to show anything being under compression - in fact I would think the 'valleys' in between two spokes on your rims are more likely to be under compression than the area in between spokes in a standard wheel. No?

But if you engineer a solution that is stronger, you can take away some material, with the result being lighter, but with the same strength...the question is whether the advantage of making it lighter is worth the effort. In some applications, sure. The alternative is to have something that is the same weight, but stronger. If the shape lends itself to making a stronger wheel, while being a more aerodynamic shape, then that is a real advantage. If it lends itself to being stronger, and better protected from steering torque (which allows you to be more aero because you are on the aerobars more and concentrating on pedaling rather than steering) then that is what I would call out. I think what would best benefit these young gentlemen would be carrying a unifying, easy to understand message and is supported by all the hard work that they have put into making this product. Otherwise, potential customers are left trying to figure it out for ourselves....Engineers and scientists are notorious for interacting poorly with the general public. Its like that quote from Office Space...

I deal with the goddam customers so the engineers don't have to!

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who had that happen to him. Also seems pretty logical to me for that to happen because the small hole is going to be a stress concentration. Classic case of low load, high cycle fatigue loading. All the time was probably an incorrect statement, more so that it does happen, and IMO seems like one of the more likely failure modes outside of catastrophic damage.
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton CarbonWorks "white paper" [hajamac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello hajamac and All,

From Kraig Willet 2004 BikeTechReview ....

http://biketechreview.com/...ng/471-hang-or-stand

Hang or Stand?

A little known semantic debate revolving around the details of how bicycle wheels structurally support loads has been raging on the usenet newsgroups for quite some time. And, like any good debate, arguments are made and points of view defended (sometimes irrationally, I might add). The point of contention in this debate is whether or not a loaded bicycle wheel "stands" on the bottom spokes or "hangs" from the top ones? So, which one do you think best describes the situation?
Idle speculation on this topic can sometimes get out of hand - and that is where objective data/experimentation can help. In a recent re-hashing of this topic it was brought to my attention that the "standing" model may not necessarily be applicable to every type of wheel, despite the "standing" chief protagonist's insistence.
The goal of my little weekend experiment was to make a structurally sound wheel that has a hub that clearly "hangs" from the top spokes. Impossible! You might say that, but before you lay your ego on the line, let me demonstrate:
Ingredients:
  • 1 old three spoke wheel
  • 1 die grinder with a cut-off wheel
  • 1 really understanding and patient wife
  • a "couple" of Stone Pale Ales
  • lots of free time

Anybody have one of these to update the experiment?

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Last edited by: nealhe: Sep 20, 18 19:47
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton CarbonWorks "white paper" [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://cyclingtips.com/...-company-big-claims/

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton CarbonWorks "white paper" [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WAKE 6560 with WHITE INDUSTRIES Hubs / $2200

2019 Princeton CarbonWorks product/price update.

http://www.princetoncarbon.com/product/wake-6560/

Paul Daniels
paul@princetoncarbon.com
http://www.princetoncarbon.com
Last edited by: Paul at PCW: Oct 29, 18 9:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for you for adjusting to the market....you lost potential buyers (like me) in the meantime but maybe you can recover.

If the EA is an attempt to sell a more economical version of the regular wheel, I think your price point is still unrealistic, unless of course, you are advertising the more economical wheel at an only slightly lower price with the hope that more people buy the more expensive version (call it the movie popcorn pricing theory). There is nothing economical about an $1,800 wheelset when sale prices on your competitors put their regular wheels in that same range.
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton CarbonWorks "white paper" [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello hajamac and All,

From Kraig Willet 2004 BikeTechReview ....

http://biketechreview.com/...ng/471-hang-or-stand

Hang or Stand?

I can't say that this is a question I had ever really considered, but it feels logical to me that they hang rather than stand. After all, we build wheels with all spokes under tension, and a spoke underneath the hub almost certainly doesn't enter compression (although I would expect the tension to decrease).

Perhaps if a test wheel was built with tensioned strings/ropes instead of metal spokes, it would be more obvious?
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton CarbonWorks "white paper" [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Hang, not stand. Bill Mould has material on this at his website. http://www.billmouldwheels.com

Paul Daniels
paul@princetoncarbon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton CarbonWorks "white paper" [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update | CyclingTips James Huang
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/12/skys-sponsorship-woes-mclaren-vuelta-daily-news-digest/

Paul Daniels
paul@princetoncarbon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Paul - Do you guys have any aero data on the mach 7580 and blur 633? I didn't see anything on your website. What is current lead times on those wheels? Lastly, what's been your feedback from customers around mounting/dismounting tires? Are they difficult to mount (enve) or relatively easy (zipp)?

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Feb 11, 22 6:52
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton CarbonWorks "white paper" [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Hey Paul - Do you guys have any aero date on the mach 7580 and blur 633? I didn't see anything on your website. What is current lead times on those wheels?
I second this.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
đŸ“± Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton CarbonWorks "white paper" [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a latest gen Princeton Carbon Works front wheel disc brake Mach 7580 or 6560 Strada option they'd be willing to loan to me early march for some wheel comparison testing I've been hired to do.

I'm able to release the results to you if you loan it to me.

PM if interested please.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Feb 11, 22 9:57
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton CarbonWorks "white paper" [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know its not what your asking but I have a 7580 and a 6560 rim brake versions. Im in NC so can meet somewhere and loan them if you want to.
Last edited by: mike s: Mar 7, 22 17:36
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton CarbonWorks "white paper" [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the offer. need disc brake versions. Rim brakes wheels are going the way of the dodo bird, sadly. In fact I don't think the company I'm working with even makes rim brake wheels

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Princeton CarbonWorks "white paper" [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys. Paul no longer works for PCW, but I did get the notification on this thread; we have tested the 7580 against our 6560 Corsa and also have tested alongside the Titan with the team. Unfortunately, team testing is confidential to them, but we are going to release some internal data this spring when we go back for another round.

For reference, teams we work with will not consider any product until there is clear, defensible data regarding its performance, followed by extensive training and road use testing. But, the switch to 7580 and recent success of that wheel at Worlds and even this year in the early stage TTs is decent pudding.

Welcome to chat any time-
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton CarbonWorks "white paper" [hajamac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does any objective testing data exist in the public domain for Princeton Carbonworks wheels?

I'm very curious about them, because pros are using them, and they seem to have gained quite a lot of traction in the last couple of years, but I can find little data about their actual performance. The website is effectively silent, which is odd given the asking price.
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton CarbonWorks "white paper" [mpquick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not aero related but we've had multiple send backs of their wheels with build/compatability issues. Maybe they've been too busy with Ineos, but can't say I'd recommend over others at this point.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Princeton CarbonWorks "white paper" [mpquick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mpquick wrote:
Does any objective testing data exist in the public domain for Princeton Carbonworks wheels?

I'm very curious about them, because pros are using them, and they seem to have gained quite a lot of traction in the last couple of years, but I can find little data about their actual performance. The website is effectively silent, which is odd given the asking price.

Seems like two parties have the data—Princeton & Ineos.

Judging by the amount of people I’ve seen using PCW, people are relying on Ineos’ utilization as gospel in the absence of a white paper.
Quote Reply

Prev Next