Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Indian Wells 70.3
Quote | Reply
This is going to my first 70.3 race and I am getting pretty excited... Any of you doing it? How's training going?

Anyone know of any pros that will be there?
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [connan23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm signed up and heading down from Canada to escape our winter. There was a thread a while back when this race was announced with some mixed thoughts on how it would go (weather primarily). It looks like a very fast flat bike course.

less than 3 months now, I guess....
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s will be fast swim, because if you go too slow you’ll have ice crystals form around your suit.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
It’s will be fast swim, because if you go too slow you’ll have ice crystals form around your suit.

Haha! good thing I'm coming from the land of glacial fed lakes and cold oceans! I quite often swim in 55 F temps in early spring so hopefully it won't be any lower than that?

At least it will be wetsuit legal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is what the historic low has been for the lake. The cold morning and cold ground really compounds the numbing cold. 3 caps for the swim, warmers and arm warmers for the bike, and enjoy the 70 degrees on the run!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in. Rested from Santa Rosa and feel like getting ready for a nice build.
Yes, the weather is an unknown, but it will be manageable.
Should be a nice way to end the season.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the HITS sprint there a couple years ago. I was not prepared for how cold that water was. My feet were numb until after I finished the run. Felt like I was running on stumps haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 years ago the water was 55* at HITS in December. That's the only race I've ever almost DNS'd. It was brutal. This March at Desert Tri I think it was 58 or 60 - not as bad but still cold for me. Move that race to October/early Novl or late spring and I'm in all day long. I'll probably pass this year due to other priorities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
connan23 wrote:
I did the HITS sprint there a couple years ago. I was not prepared for how cold that water was. My feet were numb until after I finished the run. Felt like I was running on stumps haha.

110% this.

I did not feel my feet until mile 4 of the run. It felt like I was running on those wooden Japanese Geisha slippers.

Palm Springs in early December usually cold. By the time the bike ends/run starts, it''l be nice but plan on a very cold swim.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geeze...wasn't expecting this to be that cold.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That does not sound pleasant! I guess we'll see what we get on the day...

I did a sprint in those types of conditions and after come up with the idea to "pre-heat" my bike shoes, though I haven't had a chance to try it yet. My though is to put a couple hand warmers in socks, and stuff them in my bike shoes and running shoes so they will be toasty when i get there. Yank the sock out and put the shoe on. might add 30s per transition but for 70.3, well worth it. I'll have to try in this build and seeing I'll be training though a rainy fall in Vancouver, I'll have lots of opportunities.

For everyone else, here's the other thread from earlier this year. Lots of talk about the HITS issues/weather: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...la%20quinta#p6516265
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
re: pros, it's still very early but you can keep track here: http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz5Qu9iHOUd

Given it's lateness in the season, I wouldn't expect an A-list field.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are racing. :)

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in, if I'm fit enough to race.

If you ride hard enough, you don't need arm warmers or gloves or any of that below 50 degrees, as long as it's dry. Unless it's below 45, I'll be in my standard kit.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be there shooting for an elite card qualifier. I'll be pretty curious to see the field (pro and amateur) that shows up.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I'll be there shooting for an elite card qualifier. I'll be pretty curious to see the field (pro and amateur) that shows up.

I’ll be there to shooting for top 3 in the amateur race — which I suppose means we have the same goal in that sense — while I will continue to be, as always, too slow to go pro.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've raced at this site before and despite the desert, it poured the entire race. Poor Southerners were so cold. Us Canadians were just fine. That being said, lows of 6C in the morning is COLD getting on a bike soaking wet. :$
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thinking about signing up. Work in with a work trip.
Coaching a few local CA athletes that are signed up.
Course and surroundings look awesome!

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am doing it with about 10-12 athletes I coach.

Should be awesome overall.

I checked the annual weather before I signed up as I am not able to move in cold weather.

facts

Dec 7th 2017 temperate low 17 celius high 23 celius

water temp
54-57 and depending on seasons of course late nov can be above 60.
A client of mine also did the race in March in the same lake she said it wasn't bad but then we swim in a cool lake.

That said I know it isn't a guarantee.

It will be a fast course I think the top pros will go under 3:50. I am shooting for sub 4:05.

Finger crossed that it is warm.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
I am doing it with about 10-12 athletes I coach.

Should be awesome overall.

I checked the annual weather before I signed up as I am not able to move in cold weather.

facts

Dec 7th 2017 temperate low 17 celius high 23 celius

water temp
54-57 and depending on seasons of course late nov can be above 60.
A client of mine also did the race in March in the same lake she said it wasn't bad but then we swim in a cool lake.

That said I know it isn't a guarantee.

It will be a fast course I think the top pros will go under 3:50. I am shooting for sub 4:05.

Finger crossed that it is warm.

Desert Tri is the race in March. Have done it the past 5 years. Water and Air temps are always warmer that time of year, though it also tends to be real windy in March too. The start of the swim is DIRECTLY into the sun, so make sure you have tinted goggles. Different bike and run course, but both are pancake flat and will be fast. Chances are there will be some wind later in the day.

Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:

Unless you are shooting for WC 70.3 ... Do HITS a week before
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:

Just curious, and not something I would plan for given lack of vacation days left, but is there a chance this may boost registration for the Sprint/Oly at HITS for those arriving early and wanting a warm-up race?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just registered. I was on the fence because of the cold water. And because the Ironman branded events are expensive. And because I just did Superfrog and am signed up for Oceanside already. I signed up because I needed a reason to wear my new De Soto Slowtwitch tri kit in public. Also because I probably always over train. I decided that because I am too poor to hire a coach, I'd buy one of those pre-fabbed training peaks plans and stick to it. It's much less volume than I am accustomed to, so Indian Wells will be a good opportunity to see how my speed is developing with more recovery.

Also, the course should be very fast and I'm hoping to finally beat 5 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
synthetic wrote:
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:

Just curious, and not something I would plan for given lack of vacation days left, but is there a chance this may boost registration for the Sprint/Oly at HITS for those arriving early and wanting a warm-up race?

No.

End of season race, one of which I am sure will be mostly SoCal people, no need to race the week before as prep for this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are they making you soak your wetsuit before the race like they have done at HITS?
Quote Reply

Prev Next