Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Pubes test [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The delta between aero and sitting up will be less on the road than on the trainer. Also, my HR at race wattage in the bars vs sitting up is the same but my FTP delta is more than 5-7%. My point is that this will be interesting info, but not a huge indicator of long course race performance.
Quote Reply
Re: The Pubes test [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is with great trepidation that I disagree with K in an open forum as he is the mightiest with the keyboard, but it can be a bunch of things besides a saddle.
Quote Reply
Re: The Pubes test [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
It is with great trepidation that I disagree with K in an open forum as he is the mightiest with the keyboard, but it can be a bunch of things besides a saddle.

For sure, I think it fixed him and it is a nice magic pill that only costs a few hundred bucks. But i would bet I have more than a saddle problem. If i even have anything to be fixed? that's why i am curious to see everyones difference
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've taken to performing that ftp test in aero up to my estimated FTP. When I go above ftp I end up sitting as if I were climbing. Being a half distance athlete, I figure that the times I'm putting out power above FTP is when I'm climbing. I don't expect to be able to put out power significantly above FTP in aero. How badly does this bias the test... or does it?
Quote Reply
Re: The Pubes test [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
I don't think it is the saddle most of the time. I don't think it is any one thing, but if it was,, I'd argue for crank length. I actually think it is a combination of things, including:

1&2 Crank length and too much drop - poor pedaling biomechanics
3&4 - Too narrow or too tight in cockpit - impinged breathing
5 - Insufficient time - Power comes up over time
6 - Posture, saddle discomfort, fighting the saddle etc - you've got to have saddle that reasonably comfortably allows for a full forward pelvic tilt.
And maybe 7 for some - Different devices measuring power at different locations on the bike

For me, I was absolutely equal from road to tri, after spending 20,000 miles riding aero over a few years. Extreme perhaps, but I think it is disingenous to claim that power will always be better while sitting up. It really does improve over time.

When attending to the above list, I have had very good success getting power with 3% going from road to tri. I really don't accept greater than a 5% delta with those I coach.

When I used to ride aero a lot, at a fixed load, I would always feel better when dropping down into the aerobars. With fit clients, they almost always have an opposite experience prior to being fit. Often, we are able to reverse that situation in the context of a 2 hour fit. Not always, but often. Eyes go wide as they lean over into aero and report that same load now feels easier. This is really the premise behind 100 degrees of hip angle in the FIST process.... lower or higher isn't as powerful. FIST is a great process, and the premise of a very narrow range of hip angles being the most powerful has proven true for me over several thousand fits. Crank length really ties the room together though, and this is something I have learned on my own over the last few years.

I think you're dead on with #5. I'm a roadie. But I love TTs. When I was in shape, I spent about 30% of my time on my Shiv. My best race on the Shiv was 283 avg, 284 norm. On the roadie, it was an uphill TT. 281 avg, 282 norm. Pretty damn close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 288 in aero, 320 upright.
Quote Reply
Re: The Pubes test [connan23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
connan23 wrote:
I am 288 in aero, 320 upright.

I finally got around to doing my own test. I am 298 upright and 270 in areo. I miss pubes.
Quote Reply
Re: The Pubes test [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
You’re on the wrong saddle

If your power in aero is lower by 10W or more than your power in your gravel, MTB, or road position, you’re on the wrong saddle. Simple as that.

More likely is that one is not spending enough time putting out high power in the aero position, nor are they practicing holding it throughout the duration of their event, although saddle could be implicated in the latter.
Quote Reply
Re: The Pubes test [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
kileyay wrote:

If your power in aero is lower by 10W or more than your power in your gravel, MTB, or road position, you’re on the wrong saddle. Simple as that.

More likely is that one is not spending enough time putting out high power in the aero position, nor are they practicing holding it throughout the duration of their event, although saddle could be implicated in the latter.

Just FYI, you're replying to an old post by a now-gone poster. This won't be satisfying discussion for you.
Quote Reply
Re: The Pubes test [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
kileyay wrote:

I think your right, my issue is I have too many years of poor habits so now my delta is too big to fake. So I lowered my ftp to stay in areo.
Quote Reply

Prev Next