Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2:28.28
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
2:27.13

Dang it. That's my time (first post). Does that mean we have to split the winnings? :-)

Btw, I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been a new video on her YouTube channel about this. Talbot must be out of town.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen's Marathon Debut - Chicago [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have brought back pacers this year, guessing Rupp is going for the AR.

So what is it pacers or no pacers - again if it's yes, then they are usually set up to help the front group and front group only. Occasionally, you'll see pacers deployed to help secondary groups. Now Gwen might hold enough sway to ask for one herself, but I'm just speculating here.

Someone else mentioned pacing off sub elite men. Do the elite men and women start together in Chicago? It will depend on this . . but if you have ever stood on the sidelines of one of these big marathons - you see all the elite men come in 2:05 - 2:15, then a flurry of action when the elite women come in then from from 2:25 - 2:30 onward, very few runners, until the masses start coming in around 2:50ish. It's like 20+ minutes of nothing! There really are very few sub elite male runners, running in the 2:25 - 2:35 range. You may see some of the real elite struggling into the finish, but they would be going backwards at this point relative to Gwen's pace, so not much help.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoops, I’ll go 2:27.27 😜

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen's Marathon Debut - Chicago [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are pacers, but they will likely go out sub 2:20 pace. Iirc male and female start at the same time so she should be able to draft off the sub elite men. I would guess that there will be two groups of men, those shooting for 2:25 and those going for 2:30 (not counting the oly trials hopefuls). Would be great if she could hang with the former.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen's Marathon Debut - Chicago [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
They have brought back pacers this year, guessing Rupp is going for the AR.

So what is it pacers or no pacers - again if it's yes, then they are usually set up to help the front group and front group only. Occasionally, you'll see pacers deployed to help secondary groups. Now Gwen might hold enough sway to ask for one herself, but I'm just speculating here.

Someone else mentioned pacing off sub elite men. Do the elite men and women start together in Chicago? It will depend on this . . but if you have ever stood on the sidelines of one of these big marathons - you see all the elite men come in 2:05 - 2:15, then a flurry of action when the elite women come in then from from 2:25 - 2:30 onward, very few runners, until the masses start coming in around 2:50ish. It's like 20+ minutes of nothing! There really are very few sub elite male runners, running in the 2:25 - 2:35 range. You may see some of the real elite struggling into the finish, but they would be going backwards at this point relative to Gwen's pace, so not much help.

Deifnitely pacers - https://www.nbcchicago.com/...-Race-485579911.html

Often pacers for the lesser elites as well as those at the front. And some bring their own pacer. Although that's for Berlin and London, not sure about Chicago. A runner I know (former Canadian rep) was asked to go to Berlin to pace Shalene to her PB with another US elite male.

Chicago has a great programme for the sub-elites (sub 2:31 men / sub 3:01 women) with their own tent and priority access to the start line behind the pros. https://www.chicagomarathon.com/...development-program/

An ok number of 2:25-2:30 runners. http://chicago-history.r.mikatiming.de/2016/
2017 - 30
2016 - 17
2015 - 31
2014 - 36

Prob not as many as CIM but CIM doesn't give out many appearance fees and prize money doesn't compare. (More lucrative for US athletes this year with it holding US champs) - https://runsra.org/...ernational-marathon/

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Last edited by: nbrowne1: Aug 28, 18 11:15
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:

Definitely not a fan of 'the price is right'

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2:33:20

I really hope I'm wrong, but logically I don't see her doing well at the marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2:36:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2:28:31

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:

Definitely not a fan of 'the price is right'

If I had done “the price is right” I would have said 2:27.14

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [narcomoeba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 but logically I don't see her doing well at the marathon. //

Ok, I just have to ask, what is this logic that says she will not do well at the marathon?? And logic usually implies some sort of fact based application, not feelings or guesses, etc..

I'm thinking logically that someone that has done a 15;15/30high 5k/10k and was the best in the world at the 2 hour plus triathlon distance(winning olympic gold), out running the best triathlon runners in the world, probably might be good at 2 hour plus running races?? I mean logically a woman who runs that fast during the season on tired legs, and who is better at 2 hours than 15 minutes, probably ought to run at least what the tables suggest, or perhaps a little better on the longer stuff?

But hey, I'm no Mr Spock, what logic are you basing your prediction on??
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She has the endurance base, that’s for sure, but even she’s stated that running at such high mileage for months on end is new for her. She recognizes that she’s more prone to injuries due to the high mileage on her legs, which is why she’s so keen on PT and doing foot and leg exercises to try and prevent issues from arising. Can she perform at a high level for two hour races? Absolutely, she proved it in triathlon. But she has yet to prove it in the marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [narcomoeba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
narcomoeba wrote:
2:33:20

I really hope I'm wrong, but logically I don't see her doing well at the marathon.

Logically...what is your experience as an elite runner or a coach of elite runners? Gwen is an elite athlete. She will be fine.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
2:29:46

13 seconds off my guess? Seriously? What is this Price Is Right? That's rotten tomatoes--it's like bidding $1 higher than me and Drew Carey calls you up on stage after that. Wrong thread, this isn't the "cry like a beeyatch" thread...
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [Yeti racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeti racer wrote:
2:36:58

Well, some of the predictions here are pretty optimistic, but given she did 2:41 on no specific marathon training and her 5 & 10K times predict sub-2:30, your prediction covers the "really hot day" or "totally blew up" options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2:21:36

Gwen's 5k and 10k times so far predict about 2:26 but those races were run in the middle of hard training, while breastfeeding, etc. So I'm quite confident that at Chicago, the first serious race in her build, she will outperform those predictions. Of course this is weather-dependent and barring other weirdness..
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all
I hope she breaks 2.30, so I bet for 2.29.00, best of lucks for her !!

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen's Marathon Debut - Chicago [Skyline Chili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have nothing to saw about Gwen's marathon...but as a Dayton expat I strongly appreciate your handle name. I might be driving to Indy this weekend just to get my fix...

Superfly Coaching
http://www.superflycoaching.com/eric

IL PIRATA VI GUARDA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the much more interesting way of looking at this is how she will fare against her competitors. Chicago can hit or miss weather wise. This race is a success if she is within 2:30-3:00 of Hasay. GW is racing because she is ready to be successful at the marathon. So that is my prediction.

EDIT: (actually nah, that won't happen I'll go hasay + 6:00)
Last edited by: ajthomas: Aug 30, 18 8:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:
2:27.13

Dang it. That's my time (first post). Does that mean we have to split the winnings? :-)

Btw, I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been a new video on her YouTube channel about this. Talbot must be out of town.

My understandingTalbot is covering WC 70.3 in South Africa this week... that might answer your question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DNF

I don't think she will finish after she falls off her goal pace around the half way mark
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it not the case that most elite women would plan their cycles such that they have minimal effect on performance? One can have a woman on continuous hormones such that they cycle one every three months for instance. I would think due to their weight many would be amenorrheic as well.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Aug 30, 18 12:07
Quote Reply
Re: Predict Gwen's Chicago Marathon Time [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gwen Jorgensen actually tweeted about this earlier this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Guess is 2:31 :)

Anyways I am in Portland right now shooting Gwen. What are some questions you guys have for her?

Sorry for no videos the last couple weeks. We had some cooking ones in the que but decided to just hold them and wait until we got more marathon training content. so What do you wanna see?
Quote Reply

Prev Next