Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ask Me Anything: Debut Win & 8:10 Course Record at IMMT! [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
How long will you wait until you do another 140.6?

Oh man, I don't know! I swore that it would be a long while during and right after the race. I'm sure that type of negotiating and inner dialogue isn't uncommon. 70.3 racing is certainly challenging, but I found Ironman dark, scary and physically and mentally abusive. That's without even going to the well at the end of the run! That said, it's amazing how quickly the memory of the pain fades. I'm already warming to the idea of another one as early as this fall. I don't think I'll be racing several a year. I see Ironman as a twice a year thing, partly because it's brutal and partly because I love 70.3 so much!

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: Debut Win & 8:10 Course Record at IMMT! [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
The total for the bike was well over 2,000 calories or 100+ grams of carbs per hour, which is nearing the max anyone can absorb.
Holy crap. To have that gut...

As always, thanks for the detailed response.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: Debut Win & 8:10 Course Record at IMMT! [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pvolb wrote:
Congrats on an awesome race!

Do you plan on doing a write up showing your standard week for the last 4-8 weeks like you have for a few of the 70.3s? I've gained a significant amount of knowledge from your blog over the last several years, especially since your polar vortex cycling post. Best of luck going forward!

Thanks! I'm already planning a detailed post on my two month build. It may be unprecedented for a pro to share all their training after a performance like this. I've built a good deal of my reputation as a pro on transparency. I'm also in the position to be able to discuss training since I mostly write my own training plan. My coach/mentor David Tilbury-Davis oversees everything, suggests improvements, and helps me out a great deal with season/race planning, psychology, nutrition, recovery and more, but I'm still the one writing most of the sessions. The day-to-day stuff is the easy part. It's the overarching planning and periodization where I most appreciate his help.

ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: Debut Win & 8:10 Course Record at IMMT! [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:

I do most of my bike training indoors on my STAC Zero Halcyon trainer. The trainer is an outstanding tool (never mind the safety), but it's easy to ride steady and get locked into a narrow cadence range. I deliberately avoided always riding in erg mode for this reason. It's a crutch I only use for some rides and never for shorter interval workouts. For most of my longer steady rides, my coach suggested doing a high cadence or threshold piece at the end to introduce variability on tired legs. This could look like 5 hours steady with 4 x 5 mins threshold or 30 mins high cadence in the last hour. Even modest interval sets feel brutal after 4 hours at 220-230W, but yield high bang for your buck!

I also forced myself to ride outside for one long ride per week. I generally dislike riding outside due to the risks, interruptions and mental challenge. I chose some routes that were rolling like IMMT, including some rides around the Niagara Escarpment. I also needed to acclimate to long periods in aero position, since I spend less than 10% of my trainer time in aero.

Congrats on a great race! I'm an Ontario athlete as well and it's very inspirational to follow your career.

I've found myself doing more and more indoor cycling for similar reasons to yours. Do you do anything special to relieve the monotony or is it all staring at the wall? Music, TV, Zwift, etc?

How consistent are your indoor numbers vs. outdoor riding numbers? For example do you think there is a significant difference in the power you can sustain in one environment over another?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I borrow some speed? Promise I'll give it back.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no questions here, just wanted to congratulate you on an amazing race! way to go brother

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: Debut Win & 8:10 Course Record at IMMT! [Bosox99104] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bosox99104 wrote:
Congrats on the big win!

A couple questions pop to mind
-At what point/if any did you realize that you had really dropped Lionel and what went through your head to keep you going?

Thanks! I didn't allow myself to really entertain the idea of winning until the final turnaround with 11 km to go. I noticed a 5+ minute gap and Lionel had defeat in his eyes. He's a class act and offered me a high five! The rest of the day, I did my best to stay in the moment and execute my plan.

Bosox99104 wrote:
-You said Kona in 2-3 years, so can you give an idea as to how you plot out that progression at a high level? Are you planning out longer term goals to get there or are you more of a short term focus right now?

I haven't set any other goals yet. I've always been very incremental with my objectives in the sport. I'm never really looking more than six months ahead. This is one reason I work with a coach/mentor. He worries about that long-term stuff so that I can focus on the present. In the midst of such a demanding training block, my focus is literally one day at a time. I find it unpleasant, stressful and counterproductive to get hung up on outcomes in the distant future. I'm at my best when I'm immersed in the process.

Bosox99104 wrote:
-Where does your focus go for the rest of the year, racing or off season?

I'll be racing more this fall. I'm on the 70.3 Santa Cruz start list in 2.5 weeks, but I'll have to reevaluate that. I'd consider another IM this fall or my usual 70.3 grind. I've been too overwhelmed to consider anything this week. I need to recover, debrief with my coach and plan with a level head.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, you totally nailed it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mate, if you qualify for Kona next year...you better go!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No real questions; I just wanted to say congratulations and once again express my thanks for your openness about your testosterone levels, which helped me diagnose and resolve a similar issue with diet and lifestyle changes. Almost no one would have posted that publicly.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't really have any questions but I definitely have congrats to say man, watched you go all day and have been following your journey for these last few years or so (from Ontario myself as well). Truly inspirational! I'm doing the opposite, have only raced 140.6 and will try the 70.3 next year for the first time.

Keep up the great work, I will keep following along :).

Phil
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: Debut Win & 8:10 Course Record at IMMT! [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Just wanted to say congrats and well earned! And I also would like to know how you tackled the nutrition angle on your first IM attempt. Specifically what did you do in training to test the plan. Thanks.

Please see my other detailed post on nutrition.

In training, I deliberately use a wide variety of fuel to acclimate my gut to all sorts of abuse! For long rides and bricks, I tried to use at least 50% race nutrition, especially towards the end. I adjusted the blend I was using based on experimentation. One long ride per week would typically include a lot of "real food", anything from Martin's Apple chips to potato chips, candy, pastries, PB&J, cookies, seaweed... all sorts of weird stuff. During one six hour trainer ride, I had a little mental breakdown and slammed a huge piece of lasagna before getting back on the bike to finish the ride! Haha

I also did a couple glycogen depleted sessions per week. This was not carefully planned or intentional, necessarily. For a pro training 20+ hours a week, doing some sessions glycogen depleted is practically inevitable, even doing your best to stay on top of fueling. My longest runs (30-42 km) would typically feature little to no calories (0-300 cal). I'd also allow myself to get quite dehydrated. There are beneficial adaptions to training both glycogen depleted and dehydrated, though I have to carefully weigh those with the added recovery toll and potential impact on other sessions. In my experience, depleted training is really playing with fire and should probably be avoided for all but the most experience and meticulous athletes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why didn't you stop and tackle Lionel so Matt Russell could win?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: Debut Win & 8:10 Course Record at IMMT! [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Hey Cody, your blog was one of the first I started following as an example of how to enter and what to expect in the pro triathlon world. I'm hoping to get my pro card by the end of this year. Thank you for being so transparent!

In your power file you linked here it says your average cadence was 80rpm. Is that what you normally ride/what you shoot for? Or do you not think about it. I've noticed that my 'comfortable' cadence is climbing higher and higher but I'm not convinced that I should be okay with 93-95 during a race. Am I overthinking it or does cadence go into your race planning?

Thank you, I'm honored!

80 rpm is a pretty typical cadence for me. I wouldn't have been surprised by a lower number. I do steady endurance rides (220-230W) in the 65-80rpm range depending on the route and fatigue levels. My 70.3 races are usually 78-85 rpm. Going back several years to when I was much weaker on the bike, my average cadence was always 90-100 rpm.

My view is that average cadence is a red herring in triathlon. I would never try to hold a specific cadence during a race. In fact, it's not even displayed on my computer. I wouldn't be concerned by any athlete with a cadence falling somewhere in the 70-100 rpm range.

As I wrote earlier, I did prepare for the inevitable cadence fluctuations that occur during a race. I think there's some value in occasional high and low cadence work, particularly for athletes who mostly ride indoors. It's easy to lock into a narrow cadence range on the trainer.

Last edited by: Cody Beals: Aug 23, 18 4:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was your longest training ride on the indoor trainer? How did you break up the workout?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on a great race.

Just one question. Can you dunk?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During the live stream on Facebook, Greg Welch made reference to your overpronation and how with the proper shoes you could improve your run form. Have you ever been told that you overpronate before? Is it something you would try to alter if you found that to be true?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No question here. Just wanted to say my first triathlon had you and Lionel going head to head in Welland, and you won on that occasion as well. Much love and can’t wait to see you in Kona next year! Yep I said it, the lure of Kona will pull you early ;)
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Aug 22, 18 9:35
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: Debut Win & 8:10 Course Record at IMMT! [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Most people will ask about technical aspects of racing. I'd like to get a little more personal.

No success is solitary.
You mention your coach of course.
Any others who helped you along the way? Who's your support crew?
Did you have someone at the race on the sidelines?

Great question! Triathlon is an individual sport, but a performance like this takes a team! That was a hard learned lesson during my lone wolf phase in the past. Besides David Tilbury-Davis, here are some of the outstanding people and groups in my corner (I'm sure I'm forgetting others... sorry!):
  • My parents and family - My mom and dad are lifelong endurance athletes and introduced me to skiing, running, cycling and swimming at a young age. They're also very supportive of my unconventional career. My extended family is also super supportive.
  • My boyfriend, James - We've been together 3.5 years and he's only seen me race once in person. He's highly interested in my career, but has his own interests and isn't just a tri fanboy. He keeps fit, but he's not an elite athlete. James really keeps me grounded and helps keep my life in balance. Since pro triathlon is a career that influences every aspect of your life, it's easy for it to become a 24/7 obsession. For me, that's not ideal or conducive to longevity in the sport. James is my lifeline to the outside world!
  • My sponsors (listed in my signature line) - Well over half my revenue will come from sponsorship this year. This career wouldn't be feasible without my sponsors. Beyond the financial, I've grown close with the people behind these companies and we're highly invested in each other's success!
  • Giles Atkinson (Keystone Communications) - Giles is a presentation skills and image coach who works with many high level executives. The same skill sets he helps high powered business people master are applicable in triathlon. His advice and assistance with travel have been invaluable. Randy Stanfield has also helped me out a lot with travel.
  • Guelph Triathlon Project - A new ITU-focused squad that rose from the ashes of the former national triathlon training center in Guelph, Ontario. Headed by Craig Taylor, this young group of up-and-coming athletes is so hard-working and positive. Moving to Guelph this year and doing most of my swimming with them has been one of my best decisions. My friend and fellow 70.3 pro Taylor Reid is a newer addition to GTP and I always enjoy training with him.
  • Jack Laundry - Jack is a good friend and was my #1 training partner in this block. I joined him for a long brick and track session most weeks. His ascension to 70.3 champ this year came as no surprise to me. He's been kicking my ass and holding me accountable for the past couple years.
  • Loaring Personal Coaching (LPC)/Hurdle Project - Another Guelph-based triathlon team with a great development program that produced Jack Laundry and other notable athletes. I hop in some of their workouts and time trials and love the vibe.

ETA: How could I forget the MultiSport Canada Triathlon Series! I got my start racing there along with Lionel, Jack and many other rising long course talents. We're fortunate to have such a great elite development engine here in Ontario. The owner & founder, John Salt, has been a great friend, adviser and supporter over the years.

I traveled alone to this race. My parents and bf wanted to come, but they're busy and I don't mind the intensity and focus of solo race trips. Only the 7 hour drive home sucked!

Last edited by: Cody Beals: Aug 22, 18 11:27
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: Debut Win & 8:10 Course Record at IMMT! [Leavitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leavitt wrote:
Did you ever feel any pressure from Lionel on the bike. I'm sure you assumed he would probably be charging to the front in typical Lionel fashion. Were you aware of the gap back to Lionel? Did that change your race plan at all?
Did you have a plan in place in the event Lionel would catch you at say 40km vs. 160km in regards to let him go or try to stick with him?

I fully expected Lionel to catch me at any point. Every turnaround that allowed me to assess the gap was a pleasant surprise. I was keeping tabs on Lionel, but he never really played into my race plan. I intended to do my own thing. I've watched Lionel bury himself to beat other athletes who try to hang with him. I don't think that dogging Lionel is the way to beat him. I didn't intend to try to hang with him on the bike or early in the run if that required a significant increase in power/pace. I would only go to war in the back half of the run if he happened to be nearby, an outcome I considered a dream day!

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: Debut Win & 8:10 Course Record at IMMT! [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDJ wrote:
Great racing Cody. I’ll say here like I did on twitter, you were the lead guy of a podium first for Skechers. All three wearing the brand. This leads me to comment on something else. For quite awhile I worked with a team at a brand who was looking for athletes to represent us. Your attitude about Kona is counterintuitive to what athletes think sponsors want. Kona is brought up more often then not in those types of conversations. Reading your plan is refreshing.

Thank you! I'm fortunate to have sponsors that don't pressure me about Kona. That's no accident. I'm usually up front with prospective sponsors about my race plans early in the discussion. I let them know in no uncertain terms that my race schedule is at my sole discretion. I would need a lot of compensation from sponsors before allowing them to influence something as fundamental to my bottom line and trajectory as my race schedule.

The approach I prefer is when sponsors create incentives instead of applying pressure. For example, some contracts I've discussed may include a modest bonus just for showing up in Kona. That helps defray the travel and opportunity costs of Kona and make it a less risky proposition.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: Debut Win & 8:10 Course Record at IMMT! [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IanH wrote:
Congrats on a great race! I'm an Ontario athlete as well and it's very inspirational to follow your career.

I've found myself doing more and more indoor cycling for similar reasons to yours. Do you do anything special to relieve the monotony or is it all staring at the wall? Music, TV, Zwift, etc?

How consistent are your indoor numbers vs. outdoor riding numbers? For example do you think there is a significant difference in the power you can sustain in one environment over another?

Thanks! I don't use Zwift, TrainerRoad, etc. I also rarely watch TV or movies. I mostly just listen to music indoors (but never outside). For easy rides, I'll sometimes write emails, do work/research, goof around on my phone and make calls. I'm kind of a weirdo when it comes to indoor workout entertainment. I'll often loop the same song for hours on end and just get lost in my thoughts. I also try to do some race visualization, especially during hard workouts.

I do almost all my indoor cycling out of aero position. I find that power on the trainer out of aero is roughly equivalent to power outside in aero. I lose a little power indoors due to heat, boredom and perhaps different inertial loading. Outside, I gain that power back, but lose a little in aero position. It's roughly a wash. Of course, it's still critical to acclimate to long periods in aero.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cody congrats on your win,

1)what was your cycling volume on your block leading up to the race? Has it negatively affected your swim training if it was high volume?
2) and are you still seeing improvements from a year to year basis from like threshold intervals/VO2max intervals during training, if so in what terms? ability to maintain the same power longer, or higher power or both?
3) were you doing more VO2 efforts, threshold efforts, or race pace efforts on the bike leading up to this race?

Thanks!
Last edited by: Rest: Aug 22, 18 9:55
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: Debut Win & 8:10 Course Record at IMMT! [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
Can I borrow some speed? Promise I'll give it back.

If only I could rent it out! Now that would be a killer side business!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great performance! I watched on Ironman Now for the entire swim, most of the bike and the last portion of the run. I have been around the sport for decades and tend to migrate toward the unusual bikes (Softride, Zipp etc.) so tell us about your Ventum. What size is it and what do you like and dislike about it.
Last edited by: arby: Aug 22, 18 10:12
Quote Reply

Prev Next