Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lionel Sanders: Best Triathlete Ever and Triathlon's Biggest Dweezle -- A Rant

There is another thread where the talent/potential of Lionel Sanders is discussed at length, with the typical blind allegiance by his deluded apologists for what has long been inexcusable intransigence by this athlete. Bold = tl;dr version.

Fishbum wrote:
I just truly think the field is so stacked this year that if he continues to make the same mistakes there's a real chance he's not where he should be talent-wise.
[emphasis added]

Not to pick on Fishbum, but this is exactly wrong. In fact, I think Sanders is the world's most talented triathlete, now or ever.

By comparison, Jan Frodeno is a lifelong endurance athlete with a choice swimming pedigree -- he is the world's finest long-course triathlete because he was born with gifts of nature and subsequently nurtured to be just that. Moreover, Jan has the morphology of a Konie, Dr. Frankenstein's Kona Monster, gifted the body to win that race outright, and he trains well, listens to coaches, avails himself of his resources, and he does win that race outright, time and again.

Lionel Sanders is the diametric opposite of Frodo and the sport's most obvious outlier from many perspectives. That he is so successful despite what he lacks with respect to his background, his morphology, his resources, his form, and his general experience -- all of which pale in comparison to a Frodeno or a Cam Brown or Crowie -- coupled with what this guy lacks in between the ears (everything), is the strongest testament that he is the world's best triathlete now or ever.

Sanders is an adult onset swimmer in an era where making the front pack at Kona (which is almost without exception a privilege inculcated during youth, not earned during adulthood) is becoming a quid pro quo for a top ten finish for all but the most exceptional of humidity-impervious runners -- rappstar once stated that not being born Australian was the death knell for his hopes of a top finish on the island. The guy hails from Alberta, which is possibly the world's worst location for triathlon training, and he was never moneyed like the Germans and Australians who were sculpted for the sport with dad's resources.

Born with a body that ought to cripple in the Energy lab; beset by the most horrendous natural run and bike form in the pro field, with a Quasimodo hunchback that would make Hugo blush; and beleaguered by a hideous drug addiction (he was poisoning his body for years while Frodo was gearing up to win an Olympic gold medal), he finished, in spite of all that, as runner up with the world's worst coach: Lionel Sanders.

Despite all of this, he could and should still win the race outright year after year, and my opinion is that he could and would do so if it weren't for the problem in between his ears. That performance last year in Kona was the strongest testament for him being among the or the best ever, given how stacked the deck against him was by both nature and nurture and given the incompetence and intellectual bankruptcy so evident in his coach. His physiology is a miracle -- he can boast world's best power to weight, a running ability surpassed by maybe a half dozen long-course triathletes, and he has become a competent swimmer by any standard through sheer force of will.

Lionel was self coached to second place last year and he is coaching himself off the podium this year. Since jettisoning his "advisor" (not coach) in 2016 -- by the way, it is unclear why he is not embarrassed of his cook/manager/wife, and yet he downplayed and all but discredited his former coach -- Coach Lionel has decided that weaving through stollers and soccer moms, in aero, on a walking path, is the antidote to his technical TT bike handling inadequacy; that he should fit himself (and ignore advice from Steinmetz et al) with the most embarrassing of results; that he should get sucked out like a wrestler before weigh in during the final hours and days before a 140.6; that a self-labeled eating disorder is a trenchant strategy for optimal Ironman racing; that his pedal choice was a material disadvantage vis-a-vis Frodeno; that...I could go on. I can't even stand to watch the waste perpetrated by this guy on himself.

I do not personally give a shit how likable he is, or outgoing. Don't care about his heart on his sleeve, his behavior is a travesty to the heart and body with the most uncommon of abilities to convert oxygen into energy over the course of an 4 or 8 hour day on the rivet. He's wasting his talent. He's a wastrel, and it pisses me off because he was given a gift and he's pissing on it. He's Prefontaine without Bowerman, Michael Johnson without Hart, Lewis without Tellez, Cram without Hendley; or any one of a dozen other of the greatest triathletes without the benefit of Sutton's gifts in his coaching regime (okay, different story).
But yet Sanders persists in the self coaching -- after all, he was second at Kona, right? -- with a brand of stubbornness and incompetence that does nothing positive for anything or anybody but talbotcox's instagag / YouVom views and the legion of idiots who live vicariously through these mind blowing mistakes. Most baffling is that these are the same idiots who think that Lionel Sanders is successful because of what he does. This person excels in spite of what he does, which is in spite of his own self.

Discuss.
Last edited by: kileyay: Aug 21, 18 17:32

Re: Lionel Sanders: Best Triathlete Ever and Triathlon's Biggest Wastrel -- A Rant [kileyay] [ In reply to ]

Dammit, i'm too early for the comments, i will come back in an hour ;) (with popcorn!)
Last edited by: lassekk: Aug 21, 18 12:07

Re: Lionel Sanders: Best Triathlete Ever and Triathlon's Biggest Wastrel -- A Rant [kileyay] [ In reply to ]

Far too much of that diatribe is unfortunately spot on. It has become infuriating watching him make bone headed mistakes over and over that most noobs wouldn't make.
That stubborness that drives him is the very same that holds him back.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance

And yet you clearly watch everything he does, know all about his history and moves over the years...admit it Pubes you have a hard on for the Colonel.

Maybe he's just wired that way in the same way you're wired your way.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Those who criticize/critique/scorn him see the true light that he and his disciples don't. Even though we are hard on him, we aren't rooting against him or rooting for him to fail. We are merely pointing out how much better he COULD be or should be. The truest example is last year's kona....... no if and's or but's...... he should already be an IRONMAN World Champion.

blog

Re: Lionel Sanders: Best Triathlete Ever and Triathlon's Biggest Wastrel -- A Rant [stevej] [ In reply to ]

The truest example is last year's kona....... no if and's or but's...... he should already be an IRONMAN World Champion.

-------

I've given LS grief for many of his "self coached" things, but I'm curious, what did he do wrong last year in Kona?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II

Not sure what you’re shooting for with the wife comment. But the rest of it I would generally agree. Would love to see him go all in with a good coach. He’s made a ton of strides the past few years, but I think he could use a coach to put in the last piece of the puzzle. It’d be a shame if he went through all of his prime years doing the trial and error approach and we never got to see his true potential

Matt

Re: Lionel Sanders: Best Triathlete Ever and Triathlon's Biggest Wastrel -- A Rant [walie] [ In reply to ]

walie wrote:
Maybe he's just wired that way in the same way you're wired your way.
Just jumping in to applaud your use of the words your and you’re

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes

Re: Lionel Sanders: Best Triathlete Ever and Triathlon's Biggest Wastrel -- A Rant [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]

EnderWiggan wrote:
And yet you clearly watch everything he does, know all about his history and moves over the years...admit it Pubes you have a hard on for the Colonel.

He calls Sanders the most talented triathlete, ever. That's pretty definitive.

I agree with Pubes, though I have a bit more compassion. But this may be the first time in sports history (thanks to the convergence of media) that we are watching the tragic waste of this level of talent play out in real time, thanks to talbot'scock.

Re: Lionel Sanders: Best Triathlete Ever and Triathlon's Biggest Wastrel -- A Rant [stevej] [ In reply to ]

stevej wrote:
Wholeheartedly agree.

Those who criticize/critique/scorn him see the true light that he and his disciples don't. Even though we are hard on him, we aren't rooting against him or rooting for him to fail. We are merely pointing out how much better he COULD be or should be. The truest example is last year's kona....... no if and's or but's...... he should already be an IRONMAN World Champion.

+1.

kileyay wrote:
The guy hails from Alberta, which is possibly the world's worst location for triathlon training

Lionel lives in Windsor, Ontario

Team Every Man Jack

Not sure which is worse for Triathlon training but Alberta is not in Ontario.

Re: Lionel Sanders: Best Triathlete Ever and Triathlon's Biggest Wastrel -- A Rant [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]

He was a fraidy-cat going down hills because he never rode outside, then had to hold 350w for 30 minutes in the middle of the ride to catch back up to Wurf/Kienle. Then he compounded this colossal fu*k up by starting the run at sub 2:40 pace because his watch didn't work. Then said post-race that the reason he slowed down was due to a salt deficiency and the reason he knows this is because he had a bag of potato chips and felt no muscle soreness 30 minutes after the race.

This guy fu*ks up 8 different ways, still finishes 2nd, breaking the course record. This used to be fun, now it's somewhat tragic.

But my compassion stems from acknowledging that, given where he came from, this is a pretty good spot. Still a tragic waste of once-in-a-generation talent, but better than being homeless on the street giving hand-jobs for crack.

The Tim Tebow of triathlon????

I always got the impression that Lionel wanted to be an age-grouper that could beat the pros. He wants to train like an age-grouper and document his learning gaps, struggles and work-arounds and eventually win. If all he wanted to do was be a world champion, he would have sought out the best coach and got on with it. I think he likes the struggle of learning the hard way. Winning the world championship is secondary.

I do agree with what you say, talent wise, he's been dealt a full-house. Kinda like Chrissie Wellington. If she hadn't had Sutton it might have taken her longer to dominate Kona, but she won every ironman she entered, got bored and left. Lionel keeps trying, failing, and trying some more and it's got all of our attention.

Re: Lionel Sanders: Best Triathlete Ever and Triathlon's Biggest Wastrel -- A Rant [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]

B_Doughtie wrote:
The truest example is last year's kona....... no if and's or but's...... he should already be an IRONMAN World Champion.

-------

I've given LS grief for many of his "self coached" things, but I'm curious, what did he do wrong last year in Kona?

He made 2 big mistakes. Had he not made either one of them, he would have won.

1. He got dropped on the descent from Hawi. Wurf, who was behind Lionel, took off just after the turnaround and Sebi went with Wurf. Lionel didn't go with them and I believe he admitted he was actually scared on the descent. He then burned too many matches catching back up with them. I can't remember the power number but it was a pretty insane number for a 30 min effort to catch them.

2. His nutrition. He admitted the day after the race that he wasn't even sore and he screwed up nutrition which left him depleted the last ~5-10 miles on the run (when he slowed and was passed by Lange). There was a video of his training right before the race where he commented about not taking enough electrolytes during a run a little more than a week out from kona.

Post race Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmS6V8NmHNA

https://www.youtube.com/...mp;index=15&t=0s

blog

Agree. Not on that he's a moron (clearly he knows how to do things since he's been pretty successful so far). I continue to cheer him on but after Sunday and watching his youtube videos (didn't watch them before) I was truly scratching my head and coudn't help but thinking. Sutton would do with him what he's done with Daniela, and maybe more because he has this uncanny ability to suffer that I have seen no other athlete have.

Meh, I need more from him to give him a Best anything. Right now he's obviously a wasted talent by not finding that coach to communicate to him what he needs to fix and how to fix it. He's gotten very far on his own. yeah, Frodo is 6-4 and Lionel 5-10. But Giants don't win every triathlon...but I have to say...when they weigh the same Frodo has a leg up in your morphology piece.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.

I am a cyclist not a triathlete, but find sanders somewhat interesting.....his videos are fascinating. He has massive talent but is a total head case with clear control issues. He needs to be under a coach with a strong interdisciplinary team supporting his efforts. I also like his cat 5 excuse, i sucked at the race but did you see my power file from last week, LOL.

A critical aspect of a sucessful professional is during your development seeks others advice and listen. Do what they tell you to do! There is a reason they have become sucessful. Good trainers and coaches got there for a reason. Often the biggest hinderence to peoples development is their ego, sanders clearly thinks he knows best and refuses to seek guidence and council.

I was wondering where you had gone the other day.

Typing out an excellent rant I see.

There are a few threads on this and marcag hit the nail on the head on one of his posts

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Re: Lionel Sanders: Best Triathlete Ever and Triathlon's Biggest Wastrel -- A Rant [eganski] [ In reply to ]

eganski wrote:
talbot'scock.

The most sucked in triathlon. In what other sport are the photographers more famous than the athletes? Such a weird thing.

Re: Lionel Sanders: Best Triathlete Ever and Triathlon's Biggest Wastrel -- A Rant [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]

Completely the opposite actually ; Tebow was a very poor pro football talent who got fairly far notwithstanding that lack of talent.

Re: Lionel Sanders: Best Triathlete Ever and Triathlon's Biggest Wastrel -- A Rant [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]

ggeiger wrote:
The Tim Tebow of triathlon????

Not as familiar with Tebow, but wasn't he totally overrated and a no talent QB that somehow lucked his way into a good season by scrambling around instead of throwing the ball?

LS seems to be all talent but his own worst enemy.

I love you

Prev Next