Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Teen pushes friend off bridge into water
Quote | Reply
Anyone following this story? There is a bridge over water at a falls near Vancouver, Washington. Bridge is 60 feet above the water. Kids routinely jump from the bridge into the water.

A bunch of kids are there including 16 year old girl and her 18 year old close female friend. The 16 year old is waiting to jump. Another friend starts a countdown. The 16 year old says, "no, don't count down." The 18 year old friend pushes the 16 year old of the bridge. She does a belly flop and breaks 5 ribs and has a number of other injuries.

At first, 16 year old is upset, but says it was an accident. Yesterday, 16 year old says she wants 18 year old to go to jail. The 18 year old spoke this morning. Prosecutors will decide today whether to file charges.

I don't know what the hell you do about this case. I don't think there was any intent to harm. The girls are/were apparently very close. Seems more appropriate for a civil judgment. Then again, it was a serious act and resulting in serious injuries. I might feel differently if the injuries were permanent.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/woman-pushed-teen-friend-off-bridge-admits-she-115108870--abc-news-topstories.html

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Aug 17, 18 10:04
Quote Reply
Re: Teen pushes friend off bridge into water [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the legal precedence on stuff like this? There's gotta be some history of person A doing something to person B that results in person B being hurt or killed. Shoving or tripping someone on the sidewalk causing them to stumble into a passing car. throwing something at your buddy on a bike or skateboard and they swerve and crash.

I don't think this is any different, legally: there are certain things where you know what you're doing is a little risky to the person you're doing it to but you do it anyway. Should there be consequences? I'd say so, though it shouldn't be a harsh sentence because there was no intent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Saw that earlier this week. Dumb beyond belief to push someone off from that height, I would be pissed as shit if I were the one pushed. I think you are probably right that a civil judgement makes more sense, but it really doesn't teach the pusher any sort of lesson. Her parent's homeowners policy will pay out, and she will go on her merry way. Couple months worth of weekend trash picking would make more of an impression IMO.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: spudone: Aug 17, 18 10:23
Re: Teen pushes friend off bridge into water [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hellll no. I've jumped off a couple bridges and dove off the 10meter but nothing that high. That is pure irresponsibility. The 18 year old must be as dumb as a rock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont know about jail time as I dont think there is any criminal intent. Civil case.. hell ya. Just an incredibly dumb thing do to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to guess that it is the parents of the girl who are pushing for the jail thing and escalating, not the teen.

Not that it changes anything about how the case should be handled.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Then again, it was a serious act and resulting in serious injuries. I might feel differently if the injuries were permanent. [/font]

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/woman-pushed-teen-friend-off-bridge-admits-she-115108870--abc-news-topstories.html

I know it’s how we do it, taking the outcome into account, but that has never seemed right to me. The girl did what she did, and if it warrants punishment so be it. But what she did doesn’t change if the faller was unharmed, maimed or even killed. Her actions remain the same, the outcome is really just chance.
Quote Reply
Re: Teen pushes friend off bridge into water [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
JSA wrote:
Then again, it was a serious act and resulting in serious injuries. I might feel differently if the injuries were permanent. [/font]

I know it’s how we do it, taking the outcome into account, but that has never seemed right to me. The girl did what she did, and if it warrants punishment so be it. But what she did doesn’t change if the faller was unharmed, maimed or even killed. Her actions remain the same, the outcome is really just chance.

The girl who pushed her is clearly pissed off that it is taking too long and pushed her not as a jokey "haha, I pushed you" but of a "Get the fuck out of my way". Watch how she slams her hands down on the railing right before she pushes her. That isn't someone who is just goofing around (IMO). I would say if it were 2 kids just having fun that is one thing, but this looks like something else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Community service hours, unless 18 y/o has violent history, lack of remorse, etc.

Even if just goofing around, 18 y/o needs a lesson,but I'm not sure that means jail.

Either way that girl is a complete dumbass.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Teen pushes friend off bridge into water [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Community service hours, unless 18 y/o has violent history, lack of remorse, etc.

Even if just goofing around, 18 y/o needs a lesson,but I'm not sure that means jail.

Sounds about right to me. These two were friends and teenage brains are still in development and prone to irrational decisions.
Quote Reply
Re: Teen pushes friend off bridge into water [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I agree with this as well. She should be charged and do some community service as a wake up call for her and perhaps discourage another person from a similar action.

My wife’s niece lost her stepbrother to an incident of ‘car surfing’ where one rides on top of a moving car as if they’re surfing. Hit the brakes, he flew off the car and cracked his head then his drunken friends drove him to an Urgent Care and dropped him off. Last I heard no criminal charges were filed because the other kids either aren’t talking or aren’t consistent with their stories. They’re all 20 yr olds.

Youngsters do some really dumb things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Sounds about right to me. These two were friends and teenage brains are still in development and prone to irrational decisions.

I can understand the inability of the pushing girl to foresee the full consequences of her actions, especially after watching others jump from the bridge w/o issue. But, it is frightening to consider this short-sightedness when we consider all the things to which these teenage brains have access.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Maybe 24 hours in jail, followed by community service? That way, and with a minimal time sentenced, the specter of "Jail Time" is placed into other kids' minds, which might have more effect that some non-jail punishment.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man. I once jumped off a rock about 30 feet up and had my hands out when I hit the water. Hurt like hell.

Can't imagine what a 60 foot belly flop feels like.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Teen pushes friend off bridge into water [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Man. I once jumped off a rock about 30 feet up and had my hands out when I hit the water. Hurt like hell.

Can't imagine what a 60 foot belly flop feels like.

Lucky for us this chick did the research and we don't have to do it ourselves.

Turns out it busts you the fuck up and almost kills you.

I've done the jump from too high and about halfway down you realize it was a realllllyyy bad idea and it was going to hurt. But mine was probably more in the 20 to 30 foot range. You have a long time to say oh shit on the way down from 60 feet.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Teen pushes friend off bridge into water [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
30 feet up doesn't look so high when you are below it. When you are up on the rock about to jump... it looks very very high.

Took about 10 seconds for me to man up and jump.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Teen pushes friend off bridge into water [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done what I was told was 45-50 feet. Had combat boot on, so, I didn't get a sting. But, it was very jarring.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just let it slide.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Teen pushes friend off bridge into water [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Just let it slide.

That's what she said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Perseus wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

I can understand the inability of the pushing girl to foresee the full consequences of her actions, especially after watching others jump from the bridge w/o issue. But, it is frightening to consider this short-sightedness when we consider all the things to which these teenage brains have access.

We need to come to a consensus on this idea of the not fully developed teenage brain, and what that means regarding consequences for bad actions. We have 18 year old Soldiers and Marines carrying weapons around the desert and in the mountains and trusted to act under pressure in a coordinated fashion with their teammates. teenagers brains may not be fully developed, but they're not toddlers.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Teen pushes friend off bridge into water [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
JSA wrote:
Perseus wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

We need to come to a consensus on this idea of the not fully developed teenage brain, and what that means regarding consequences for bad actions. We have 18 year old Soldiers and Marines carrying weapons around the desert and in the mountains and trusted to act under pressure in a coordinated fashion with their teammates. teenagers brains may not be fully developed, but they're not toddlers.

Completely agree.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 i'd go for Old Testament rib-for-rib -- and one of her own parents has to do the smiting.

Seriously, yes, kids are idiots, but community service is a joke. Make her clean floors in an ER for a month.
Quote Reply
Re: Teen pushes friend off bridge into water [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken ribs hurt like a mofo and she's going to be knackered for 2-3 months by this.

I'd want someone to "pay" for this too. But sending people to prison for being young and dumb is not the right answer. I'm just thinking of all the dumb as fuck things i did as a (usually drunk) teenager. Scary.
Quote Reply
Re: Teen pushes friend off bridge into water [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RCCo wrote:
Broken ribs hurt like a mofo and she's going to be knackered for 2-3 months by this.

I'd want someone to "pay" for this too. But sending people to prison for being young and dumb is not the right answer. I'm just thinking of all the dumb as fuck things i did as a (usually drunk) teenager. Scary.

Agreed
Quote Reply

Prev Next