Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power2Max 4 or 5 bolt?
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone,

I've recently ordered a Power2Max NG Eco with Rotor 3D+ cranks in a 5 bolt 110 configuration. Mainly because I've got some old Shimano 5 bolt chainrings that I was going to throw on it, but I do intend to buy some Rotor or AbsoluteBlack chainrings eventually.

Looking on a few websites in the UK it seems there are more options for Shimano 4 bolt style chainrings (including non-Shimano brands), so would I be better off exchanging the power meter spider for the 110-4s configuration? ie, are 4 bolt chainrings the future, or will I always be able to find standard 5 bolt ones ok?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max 4 or 5 bolt? [Nicolopolus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wast majority of oem and aftermarket chainrings come in five bolt pattern. This pattern will give you better choice of chainrings.
Having said this, personally I wouldn't mind having P2Max with four bolts which would allow me to use 34t Osymetric chainring instead of 38t, the smallest available with five bolts pattern ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max 4 or 5 bolt? [1415chris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1415chris wrote:
Wast majority of oem and aftermarket chainrings come in five bolt pattern. This pattern will give you better choice of chainrings.
Having said this, personally I wouldn't mind having P2Max with four bolts which would allow me to use 34t Osymetric chainring instead of 38t, the smallest available with five bolts pattern ;)

Thanks Chris - is that only for 130 BCD 5 bolt? 110 should go down to 34, shouldn't it? (Looking at AbsoluteBlack website).

Main pro of 4 bolt I can see is that the whole 110/130 choice is obsolete. I've got very short legs for my height though, so I can't see myself ever needing bigger gears at the front.
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max 4 or 5 bolt? [Nicolopolus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say unless you already have rings in a 5 bolt pattern you really want to use go 4 bolt Shimano pattern. That way if you want to use round rings Shimano makes some of the best shifting chanrings out there. Plus as you mentioned other brands do support Shimano 4 bolt for their non-round rings.

I personally went 5 bolt for my power meters because I already had Rotor QXL chainrings in 5-bolt pattern (both 110BCD and 130BCD). Didn't want to deal with selling and getting new 4 bolt versions when I picked up my Type S Power2Max on last years closeout sales before introducing the NG Eco.
Quote Reply