Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Psych Sheets (updated for 2019)
Quote | Reply
I still may try to improve the predictions with more back testing of the algorithm, but for now I am using the same process as 2018 which worked pretty well.

2019 Psych Sheets
Ironman Texas Psych Sheet (January 10 start list)
Ironman Santa Rosa Psych Sheet (February 5 start list)
Ironman Boulder Psych Sheet (March 4 start list)
Ironman Wisconsin Psych Sheet (April 5 start list)
Ironman Maryland Psych Sheet (June 7 start list)
Ironman Lake Placid Psych Sheet (March 1 start list)
Ironman Canada Psych Sheet (May 1 start list)
Ironman Louisville Psych Sheet (July 9 start list)
Ironman Florida Psych Sheet (May 20 start list)
Ironman Chattanooga Psych Sheet (July 9 start list)
Ironman Arizona Psych Sheet (August 8 start list)
(country information wasn't available for some of the start lists, so for two athletes with the same name in different countries, I'm not making a distinction right now)

2018 Psych Sheets
Ironman Wisconsin Psych Sheet (July 5 start list)
Ironman Florida Psych Sheet (August 1 start list)
Ironman Louisville Pysch Sheet (August 9 start list)
Ironman Chattanooga Psych Sheet (July 3 start list)
Ironman Maryland Psych Sheet (July 2 start list)
Ironman Arizona Psych Sheet (April 5 start list)
Ironman Cozumel Psych Sheet (November 1 start list...harder to parse the start list, so there may be some missing data)
Ironman World Championship Psych Sheet (tried a different algorithm since most everyone has great past results)

Here is the background context for this project:

"Ironman races post a participant list, but it is typically just in alphabetical order. It's hard to know how many people are in your age group, how many Kona slots your age group will have, who the competition is, and how you stack up against it. I wrote a program that parses the participant list, calculates expected Kona slot allocations, looks up USAT rankings and best past IM/70.3 results, and tries to rank people by age group. It also shows if people have already qualified for Kona and if they started in Kona a particular year."
Last edited by: triryan: Aug 31, 19 17:21
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin and IM Florida Psych Sheets [triryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is great. Thank you so much for doing this. Donation will be coming in later on today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is awesome, thanks! is it easy to run an updated version or super labor intensive? thanks in advance, I know quite a few people who have registered the past month. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really cool! Thanks for putting this together.

% to next slot is if there is a roll down?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triryan wrote:
Someone requested I generate these for IM Wisconsin and Florida:

Ironman Wisconsin Psych Sheet

Ironman Florida Psych Sheet

I tried to incorporate HIM results into the prediction this time so that more contenders trickle up to the top. The (Kona Qualifier) label is for 2018 qualifiers, so it won't be as relevant for these races that qualify for 2019. I may try to update these later with data from 2018 results and/or updated rankings after more testing and improving on the algorithm.

I generated these for Ironman Santa Rosa and Boulder previously, and here was the background context:

"Ironman races post a participant list, but it is typically just in alphabetical order. It's hard to know how many people are in your age group, how many Kona slots your age group will have, who the competition is, and how you stack up against it. I wrote a program that parses the participant list, calculates expected Kona slot allocations, looks up USAT rankings and best past IM/70.3 results, and tries to rank people by age group. It also shows if people have already qualified for Kona and if they started in Kona a particular year."

Was wondering if it would be possible to update IMFL with the latest pre registered list? Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool. That is amazing. I signed up for IMWI late, is it a huge pain in the ass to update with the new bib list? Definitely will send a donation your way.

Dan

-
"It's nice to be great, but far greater to be nice"
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin and IM Florida Psych Sheets [xcchampion11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman Florida has been updated with the August 1 start list.

xcchampion11 wrote:
triryan wrote:

I tried to incorporate HIM results into the prediction this time so that more contenders trickle up to the top. The (Kona Qualifier) label is for 2018 qualifiers, so it won't be as relevant for these races that qualify for 2019. I may try to update these later with data from 2018 results and/or updated rankings after more testing and improving on the algorithm.

I generated these for Ironman Santa Rosa and Boulder previously, and here was the background context:

Was wondering if it would be possible to update IMFL with the latest pre registered list? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin and IM Florida Psych Sheets [yoe400800] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can do an update, but the latest start list posted is still from July 5, so there isn't any new data to process.

yoe400800 wrote:
Very cool. That is amazing. I signed up for IMWI late, is it a huge pain in the ass to update with the new bib list? Definitely will send a donation your way.

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triryan wrote:

I am sure there is a massive amount of time put into these! That said, any specific reason you chose these two races instead of others or are you working on others like IMCHOO and IMLOU as well? Just curious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triryan wrote:
I can do an update, but the latest start list posted is still from July 5, so there isn't any new data to process.

yoe400800 wrote:

Dan

You parse it from a pdf? Those are usually very tricky! I wrote some code to get the results from ironmans. Swim, bike, run, T1 and T2 times for each athlete. Done just for pretty much all ironmans of the last 5 years (but would work for 70.3's as well), but Vichy last year for a long time the results were only posted as a pdf and I didn't get it to work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any update to Wisc start list....yes I sent my pay pal money! I used to do this would take days! 5 bucks you can have this every race I do for this list! Thanks.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This stuff is so awesome man, thank you. I'll happily donate for an IM Chatt sheet too!

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ryan - this is awesome. I sent you a donation. Thank you.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triryan wrote:

Are you sure?

Toothengineer (brendan loehr) is on the participant list for July 5th but isn't in your spreadsheet. There's a few others I can name as well.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Aug 15, 18 5:02
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin and IM Florida Psych Sheets [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was at least 1 duplicate on the IM Florida one as well. (same name with same results displayed 3 times in a row). For example. M45-49, David Roth #93, #94, and #95. I guess that means there are "<=487" in age group instead of "489".

My name is on the list, which is great! I'm in the mid-140s on the list. I'm a mid-pack finisher (12 hour).
What does the list / ranking mean?
How is it sorted?
What does column B (USAT Score) mean? Etc.
Other than seeing my name and some of my past results displayed, is this psych sheet mostly a ranking for those who plan to be Kona bound as they eye their competition?... and for determining # of Kona slots in the given age groups.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin and IM Florida Psych Sheets [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same - I'd love to have this for Chattanooga. A couple of girls I coach are racing and potentially in the mix for Kona slots.

MrRabbit wrote:
This stuff is so awesome man, thank you. I'll happily donate for an IM Chatt sheet too!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin and IM Florida Psych Sheets [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:

AMEN!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin and IM Florida Psych Sheets [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, I misread when I had last updated...it was from the May 1 start list. So, it's updated now with the July 5 start list.

stevej wrote:
triryan wrote:

Are you sure?

Toothengineer (brendan loehr) is on the participant list for July 5th but isn't in your spreadsheet. There's a few others I can name as well.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin and IM Florida Psych Sheets [Asker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David Roth showed up 3 times in the start list pdf Ironman published, so that's why it is duplicated. I just manually fixed it.

It is roughly sorted by previous finish position within age group at Ironman or Half Ironman events with more weight given to recent performances. The times are informational...hard to use them given course differences and shortened segments. The USAT score is the USAT Ranking number...and asterisk means the score is from less than 3 USAT results (3 results are needed for an official ranking).

I originally did this to see who the competition was for Kona slot...so the algorithm probably does good at putting likely contenders at the top of the list. I haven't created something to compare the prediction to the results to see how it fares further down the list.

Asker wrote:
There was at least 1 duplicate on the IM Florida one as well. (same name with same results displayed 3 times in a row). For example. M45-49, David Roth #93, #94, and #95. I guess that means there are "<=487" in age group instead of "489".

My name is on the list, which is great! I'm in the mid-140s on the list. I'm a mid-pack finisher (12 hour).
How is it sorted?
Other than seeing my name and some of my past results displayed, is this psych sheet mostly a ranking for those who plan to be Kona bound as they eye their competition?... and for determining # of Kona slots in the given age groups.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weird, I was on the list but now I diapered in the Men's 30-34 for IMWI.... Andrew Lashlee
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin and IM Florida Psych Sheets [DashLash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're on the 35-39 tab, weird
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin and IM Florida Psych Sheets [Asker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Asker wrote:

How is it sorted?

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-triathlon/rankings/rankings-criteria
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin and IM Florida Psych Sheets [Cptnemo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I updated the original post with psych sheets for the requested additional races...some are from start lists a month ago:

Ironman Wisconsin Psych Sheet (July 5 start list)

Ironman Florida Psych Sheet (August 1 start list)

Ironman Louisville Pysch Sheet (August 9 start list)

Ironman Chattanooga Psych Sheet (July 3 start list)

Ironman Maryland Psych Sheet (July 2 start list)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is pretty cool. The rankings on the AG tabs? Is that supposed to represent the "performance" rankings within that AG? So, I'm 45-49, and ranked 7th on list. Is that supposed to roughly estimate a 7th place finish in that AG? Just curious what that means, if anything. Thanks for doing this!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin and IM Florida Psych Sheets [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, it's an estimated finish order based on past performances at IM and HIM events. It's meant to be directional in nature since it can be hard to compare across years and courses.

drluke12 wrote:
This is pretty cool. The rankings on the AG tabs? Is that supposed to represent the "performance" rankings within that AG? So, I'm 45-49, and ranked 7th on list. Is that supposed to roughly estimate a 7th place finish in that AG? Just curious what that means, if anything. Thanks for doing this!
Quote Reply

Prev Next