Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
50 Sprint/ 50 Days & 50 Sprint Tri Relay
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't you like to accomplish something extraordinary too? What would you do for a 50/50 challenge?

Could I do 50/50 IM? No way.

50/50 Half IM? Maybe. I would have to warm up with a 50/50 Olympic first. And put my kids into an after-school program.

50/50 olympic tri's? Yes, it would be hard. And 6 miles of running a day! Whew! Makes my knees ache to think of it.

50/50 sprint tri's. Yes! Certainly. In my mind, I've already done it!! Although, I remember how hard the 100/100 challenge was. I did the bare minimum there...

I expect I can start Aug 22 (first day of school/freedom). I might have to skip my volunteering days, but the rules will allow for doubling up. Can we get a Slowtwitch log for this?

Benefits: I won't shower at home for 50 days!
Cons: I'll have to pay $3 per swim ($150 total). That will have to go on the budget.

Any advice? Any joiners? Any doubters?
Last edited by: Calamityjane88: Aug 19, 18 17:58
Quote Reply
Re: ST BOP to complete 50 __ in 50 days [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be here cheering you on CJ88!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paging CaptainCanada. Paging CaptainCanada.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 10, 18 17:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You didn't even mention the charity that it'll all be for yet hardly ever promote. But I'll donate just for your ST user name.
Last edited by: mbwallis: Aug 10, 18 18:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When do we start betting on how many days it'll take before you start running on an elliptical?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
Wouldn't you like to accomplish something extraordinary too? What would you do for a 50/50 challenge?
Could I do 50/50 IM? No way.
50/50 Half IM? Maybe. I would have to warm up with a 50/50 Olympic first. And put my kids into an after-school program.
50/50 olympic tri's? Yes, it would be hard. And 6 miles of running a day! Whew! Makes my knees ache to think of it.
50/50 sprint tri's. Yes! Certainly. In my mind, I've already done it!! Although, I remember how hard the 100/100 challenge was. I did the bare minimum there...
I expect I can start Aug 22 (first day of school/freedom). I might have to skip my volunteering days, but the rules will allow for doubling up. Can we get a Slowtwitch log for this?
Benefits: I won't shower at home for 50 days!
Cons: I'll have to pay $3 per swim ($150 total). That will have to go on the budget.
Any advice? Any joiners? Any doubters?

In 2013 and 2014, i swam seriously in the USMS Go The Distance Challenge, which is annual event to encourage swimmers to log their workouts and set a goal for swimming XXX miles during the calendar year. I've done this event every year since '11 but in the latter part of '12, i decided to up my swim yardage and see how high i could finish in '13. So, in '13 and '14, i swam my little butt off and went 1480 miles in '13 and 1520 in '14, which translates to about 50,000 yd/wk, 52 wk/yr, or about 7000 yd/day, 364 days/yr [took Christmas Day off. :)] I finished 5th overall in '13 and 6th OA in '14, out of about 3000 swimmers across the USA. After '14 though, decided it just wasn't worth scheduling my whole life around my 1.5-3 hr/day in the pool and so cut back to my normal level of averaging about 25K per week. The diff between 25K and 50K is pretty huge. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: ST BOP to complete 50 __ in 50 days [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
So, in '13 and '14, i swam my little butt off and went 1480 miles in '13 and 1520 in '14, which translates to about 50,000 yd/wk, 52 wk/yr, or about 7000 yd/day, 364 days/yr [took Christmas Day off. :)]

But what have you done recently?
Just kidding!
That's a tremendous amount of swimming! 7,000 per day for 2 years!! I'm sure you had (and have) a special relationship with water after that. Beautiful!!
That certainly qualifies as extraordinary.
Quote Reply
Re: ST BOP to complete 50 __ in 50 days [alexer03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexer03 wrote:
When do we start betting on how many days it'll take before you start running on an elliptical?

Why wait to bet on my failure? That's the fun part!
Last edited by: Calamityjane88: Aug 10, 18 22:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alexer03 wrote:

And using IVs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:

50 days of notifications from community services. Go fo it!

Seriously, what are you thinking? Sprint or Oly?

Have fun and keep us posted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alexer03 wrote:

Keep it up and she just might do the dam thing backwards.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: ST BOP to complete 50 __ in 50 days [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:

I'm sorry I wasn't clear before. While I think I might be able to do 50/50 Olympic, I don't think I can now. First problem: I remember 3-ish miles per day for 100/100 was tough! My biggest run weeks last year were only 38-42 mpw. Second problem: I think I'd get too tired and be unable to satisfactorily fulfill my motherly and wifely duties. I gotta maintain the delicate balance of happiness in our family. I think I'd need to work up to it. Maybe in the spring?

So, I'll start with sprint.

I measured our HOA pool near our house. 60 feet. So, that's about 20 laps (down & back), right? I swam last night until my garmin 35 said .5 mile (it seemed like more than 20 laps.) It doesn't have a swim function, but I can use the "cardio" mode. It took me 38 minutes. Ha! I stopped about every 2 laps to settle disputes, encourage games, console the wounded. Hubby showed up & organized Rabbit, Rat & Raccoon game so my last 5 laps had no breaks.

I think I should use this HOA pool to eliminate a 15 min drive to the community pool and make things more efficient. Its not ideal-- no lane lines. Murky water. But it'll do.

Doesn't anyone else want to do this challenge, too?

Anyone?

Hello?
Quote Reply
Re: ST BOP to complete 50 __ in 50 days [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Paging CaptainCanada. Paging CaptainCanada.

;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
satanellus wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:

I'm sorry I wasn't clear before. While I think I might be able to do 50/50 Olympic, I don't think I can now. First problem: I remember 3-ish miles per day for 100/100 was tough! My biggest run weeks last year were only 38-42 mpw. Second problem: I think I'd get too tired and be unable to satisfactorily fulfill my motherly and wifely duties. I gotta maintain the delicate balance of happiness in our family. I think I'd need to work up to it. Maybe in the spring?

So, I'll start with sprint.

I measured our HOA pool near our house. 60 feet. So, that's about 20 laps (down & back), right? I swam last night until my garmin 35 said .5 mile (it seemed like more than 20 laps.) It doesn't have a swim function, but I can use the "cardio" mode. It took me 38 minutes. Ha! I stopped about every 2 laps to settle disputes, encourage games, console the wounded. Hubby showed up & organized Rabbit, Rat & Raccoon game so my last 5 laps had no breaks.

I think I should use this HOA pool to eliminate a 15 min drive to the community pool and make things more efficient. Its not ideal-- no lane lines. Murky water. But it'll do.

Doesn't anyone else want to do this challenge, too?

Anyone?

Hello?

CJ - Since you seem just a tad bit math challenged, i did the math for you:

60ft*1yd/3 ft = 20 yd, 1/2 mi = 0.5 mi*1760 yd/mi = 880 yd, 880 yd*1 length/20 yd = 44 lengths or 22 round-trips. :)

Quote Reply
Re: ST BOP to complete 50 __ in 50 days [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And that is why the rest of the world uses the metric system. :-/
Quote Reply
Re: ST BOP to complete 50 __ in 50 days [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, Eric. That's a math-tastic equation! You must have been converting feet to yards or meters (or whatever those units are) during those 2+ years you spent in the pool.

I just switched the units on my garmin to metric. Its like learning a new language. I'm going to stop translating and just go by the feel of it, if you get my drift. I wonder if this is a stage on the path to enlightenment? This feels significant.

So, I'll plan 22 laps (to equal the last digit in your equation), 20k bike, 5k run. Obv no elliptical, treadmill or trainer. Duh.

Since its a tri, there can be no gap in time between the thingymajiggies.

Any other issues?
Last edited by: Calamityjane88: Aug 11, 18 21:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
Thank you, Eric. That's a math-tastic equation! You must have been converting feet to yards or meters (or whatever those units are) during those 2+ years you spent in the pool.
I just switched the units on my garmin to metric. Its like learning a new language. I'm going to stop translating and just go by the feel of it, if you get my drift. I wonder if this is a stage on the path to enlightenment? This feels significant.
So, I'll plan 22 laps (to equal the last digit in your equation), 20k bike, 5k run. Obv no elliptical, treadmill or trainer. Duh.
Since its a tri, there can be no gap in time between the thingymajiggies.
Any other issues?

CJ - I'm glad you did not feel insulted by my post; some women, and some men, would have taken offense. Regarding my having spent lots of time doing lots of conversions during my 1500 mile swims, actually, nah, i rarely do any math during my swims. Rather, my familiarity with unit conversions stems from my background in chemical and environmental engineering, wherein we will often have multiple equations with diff units requiring various diff conversions. As my engr profs used to say "Units, units, units...get your units right and you'll probably get the answer right, barring any arithmetic errors." BTW, the term "unit" refers to any unit of measurement, be it pounds, grams, liters, gallons, feet, inches, meters, horsepower, BTUs, or whatever.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to drink 50 beers in 50 days.
Who wants to bet against me?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: ST BOP to complete 50 __ in 50 days [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

I’ll interpret that literally and bet against you - no way you will stay away from double/triples for 50 days straight. You might have a shot at 150/50 though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So is this happening beginning from next week?

Would love to follow along.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I need clarification.

Are you going to:
  1. Drink 50 beers in one day, 50 days from now
  2. Drink 50 beers at a rate of 1 per day over the next 50 days
  3. Drink 50 beers any way you like over the next 50 days

Also:
  • Will the 50 days be consecutive
  • Will the beers be of a consistent measure (US pint, imperial pint, 330ml bottle, 500ml, 1litre stein?) and is there a minimum/maximum %ABV defined?

You really need to be clear about what you're trying to achieve before I'll place a bet.
Finally (for now):
Who will verify the volumes are accurate? Can DCRainmaker advise on a good ANT+ scales?
(will there be doping control?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

I was going to say the same thing, and I'm not a big drinker. It's a 'challenge' right...

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

that would destroy me lol
Quote Reply
Re: ST BOP to complete 50 __ in 50 days [chrissie1993] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, follow along! If you have questions or suggestions, let me know. I think its pretty simple, tho. If you have any desire to join me x/week, I'd like to know about your experiences. I'll be doing it solo so discussing it will be nice.

Of course, I guess I'll be seeing my favorite neighborhood denizens daily, so that will be great. I have 2: crazy stripe sock lady who walks miles along Espola, our busy road, 2 times a day. She's friendly & we always say hi. And an old lady who walks a blind, deaf old dog down the middle of the road. The dog is startled at the last moment and does one deep "woof!" The old lady responds, "Oh, shut up!" Like clockwork. Neither old lady is a chatting risk.

I'll start Wednesday next week. I'll have to record each leg separately. Otherwise you would just have to guess what I'm doing. I have a garmin 35, so no multisport mode.

If I upload it to my ST workout log, can you see it?

My plan so far is to start swimming by 9:30 am. If I carry the garage door opener, I can walk or run directly from the pool to our garage to get my bike and go. I'll maintain a transition zone in the garage the whole time.

I don't know that I want to run from the pool to the garage and make a spectacle of myself. I am already a bit of a denizen. But there will be trouble if I run into any chatty neighbors or dog walkers. If I'm running, it would be easier to avoid a long chat session.

I don't plan to race these because I'm kind of out of shape. But I will hustle.

Questions? Suggestions?
Last edited by: Calamityjane88: Aug 17, 18 7:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
If I upload it to my ST workout log, can you see it?

Yes. And if you're serious, I'll spend some time enhancing this view, it's extremely basic at the moment:

http://training.slowtwitch.com/account/Calamityjane88

Kickass plan, I love it. :)

-Eric
Last edited by: EricTheBiking: Aug 17, 18 9:24
Quote Reply

Prev Next