Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Shameless plug: My cousin is attempting to ride the perimeter of the USA
Quote | Reply
My cousin (Matt) is starting his attempt to ride the perimeter of the USA today. He is 25 and left his job in Minnesota in supply chain management at Land o'Lakes to make an attempt at this. I am super excited for him! He has a twin brother, and personally, I am always fascinated by the dynamic of twins and that might be the hardest part he faces on this self-supported trip. Regardless, I wish him well and lots of riding prayers for a safe voyage.

He is a very religious and he is hoping to raise $25,000 for a youth camp he has been involved in over the years for kids with disabilities. Route is pictured below, and although he has no hard dates being self-supported, I am sure he could use some help with a wash of clothes, a place to stay, some latex tubes ;) Although not a triathlete, he has committed to doing the majority of his commuting via bike even in harsh Minnesota winters. I think he did 8,500 hundred last year. Anyway, I figured there might be a few people interested in following along via his Instagram.

**edit** I followed up with my cousin today as there were a bunch of people offering assistance, thank you btw. Especially those that offered to lube his chain, lol. Anyway, If you don't have social media/Insta to send him a DM then send him a message thru his contact page on his website. He is going to need a way to organize the dates/homestay as he makes his way around the country.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Aug 8, 18 22:35
Quote Reply
Re: Shameless plug: My cousin is attempting to ride the perimeter of the USA [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is he looking for folks to host him? We live near Boston close to MA/RI, and would be open to that. What is best way to contact him? via Instagram?
Quote Reply
Re: Shameless plug: My cousin is attempting to ride the perimeter of the USA [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m in west Phoenix (Goodyear) Lmk what I can do for him here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What an awesome challenge and a great cause. Sent him a donation. Wish him luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like he will be riding by my place in Michigan near the end of September or beginning of October. If he is ok with dogs, he would be welcome to the guest bedroom and can use the laundry.

Trip of a lifetime!

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No shame there. We will find him when he nears our orbit, and provide. PM to you next.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have him shout here when he’s in Austin!
Quote Reply
Re: Shameless plug: My cousin is attempting to ride the perimeter of the USA [KathyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KathyG wrote:
Is he looking for folks to host him? We live near Boston close to MA/RI, and would be open to that. What is best way to contact him? via Instagram?

I think the best way to contact him is just to send him a DM via Instagram. As for places to host, his plan is to camp pretty much everywhere and then try to connect with friends in places where he can but I am sure he would love to meet new people along the way. He is a super good kid from a nice family and he just really loves to bike and has a very positive attitude and sense of humor. Based on his first day it looks like he already had a flat on a nice thick tire. Funny, I rode in Tucson one winter in Tucson with the same Supersonic tire, with pointy things everywhere, and didn't have a flat for six months.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Shameless plug: My cousin is attempting to ride the perimeter of the USA [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Shameless plug: My cousin is attempting to ride the perimeter of the USA [KathyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I will forward this thread to him but Goodyear sounds great if he is going thru Phoenix. However, I am not sure his route is 100% set. If it was me, after heading to Tucson, I would just continue west to Kitt Peak and not even beeline (pun intended) up to Phoenix. Great stretch of road there and I am sure Paul Thomas would love to add another horse to his stable even if only for a few hours of companionship.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
He has a twin brother

Alarm bells =)

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Shameless plug: My cousin is attempting to ride the perimeter of the USA [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
He has a twin brother

Alarm bells =)

And double letters in his first name! =)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Virginia Beach standing by to assist.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good stuff! I remember years ago there was someone else here who tried something similar and posted their blog link, was fun to follow and read some of the stories. IIRC, he started in VA and went counterclockwise, making it to TX before he had to stop (I forget the reason).

I'm just outside of Boston if he needs anything when coming through this way. Best of luck to him!

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like he's doing a reverse Seattle-to-Portland route? I live just a couple miles off the STP route where it crosses through Spanaway (near Tacoma). I've got a bunch of family stuff this weekend, but I could offer laundry, shower, and even a guest bed if he'd like...

Oh, yeah, and I can probably feed him, too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Last edited by: brider: Aug 9, 18 6:29
Quote Reply
Re: Shameless plug: My cousin is attempting to ride the perimeter of the USA [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But will he do it in 50 days???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like I'll be hosting Matt tonight.

Quote Reply
Re: Shameless plug: My cousin is attempting to ride the perimeter of the USA [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has he contacted Slowtwitch about this to verify the rules?

What is his background? This sounds impossible. I doubt he can do it.

Is he just looking for attention? Cause why else would he tackle something so grandiose?

Who did he train with? It better be somebody we respect on slowtwitch or this is just a waste of time.

It's for the kids. Of course, it's always for the kids. And the money.

How is he tracking where the money goes? Cause most of these charity things are about padding someone's pocket.

How is he verifying his mileage? He could just be cheating. We need to know this.

You didn't mention any doping controls for this?? Is he doping? He must be doping.

I have so many other questions. But this will do for now.

ps- in pink. Or is it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know your cousin Matt a little bit through the Minneapolis cycling scene. He’s hooked up with a an awesome group of riders here that routinely put in a ton of miles. He’s a super great guy. I wish him all the best.

Quote Reply
Re: Shameless plug: My cousin is attempting to ride the perimeter of the USA [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol, I thought about putting some of this in my original post but opted against it as to avoid bashing any predecessors of this sort of activity. I will say, with 100% certainty, he is not a sociopath despite the double letters.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Worked out great! Matt found his way to our place around 6, and we had a hearty dinner of chicken enchiladas, some games, then a good night's sleep. Pancake breakfast, then he headed north into Seattle to meet cousins. Hopefully this is just the first of many hosted nights on his journey. Quality gentleman, and a great cause. Folks, check his website and if you're close to his route, open your homes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's he got against South Texas?

Btw, I'm in the Houston area (The Woodlands) and can offer a bed and shower.
Quote Reply
Re: Shameless plug: My cousin is attempting to ride the perimeter of the USA [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next