Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't bother to drop them any more unless it's an interval I was planning on doing anyway. If they're inches from my wheel I'll ask them to move back. If they're a few feet or more away and riding sensibly then it doesn't really bother me, though I would always prefer they ask or at least say hello before doing it. Context is important - if you're on roads with plenty of cyclists then it's fairly normal behaviour, but if you're in the middle of nowhere and riding along just the 2 of you it's pretty weird not to say something! I actually get much more bothered when somebody decides to pull in right in front of me - that's much more presumptuous as it messes with whatever workout I was planning. It's also more dangerous for me - when a rider crashes into another one from behind the rider in front is generally fine.

I rarely wheel suck myself as if I'm riding solo I generally prefer to stick to my own plan. Did have an exception last month when I was riding with friends in the Italian Alps and a rider came past us on a climb in head to toe Katusha kit (right down to team bike, gloves, socks, shoes, etc). Assumed it was a pro and since there was only about 3-4km to the summit I decided to follow and see if I could hang on to the top. Kept a respectful distance of about a bike length back, exchanged a few pleasantries in broken Italian including a "grazie!" at the top. Had a look on Strava Flyby later and turned out it was Ian Boswell, I'm 100% sure he was riding zone 2/3 and could have dropped me like a stone whenever he wanted but hope he didn't mind the company on what otherwise looked like a long and lonely training ride!
Quote Reply
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s cool - from the podcast he seems like a fairly chill dude. Neat to say you hung with him!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Great that YOU enjoy getting your butt sniffed and find solo rides boring.

You seem to have some sort of insecurity about your butt!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone jumps on my wheel unannounced quite often. If they are just drafting, I have no problem with it and I will start pointing out potholes and signaling when I am turning and slowing just like I would in group. The only time it bothers me is when they either try to take a pull or race me on the hills. If I am outdoors, I am usually trying to hold a long steady power intervals. Often some roadie will jump on my wheel on the flat, hammer the next hill passing me, and then coast the downhill where they are no longer sucking my wheel, they are getting in my way and forcing me to change my power. Repeat this for three or four hills and I start to get annoyed. That or they will jump ahead of me to take a pull and maintain our speed forcing me to drop my power.

cartsman wrote:
... exchanged a few pleasantries in broken Italian including a "grazie!" at the top. Had a look on Strava Flyby later and turned out it was Ian Boswell,

Haha that is awesome. Do you regret speaking broken Italian only to later find out he speaks english?
Quote Reply
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely "hung onto" not "hung with"!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
I don't bother to drop them any more unless it's an interval I was planning on doing anyway. If they're inches from my wheel I'll ask them to move back. If they're a few feet or more away and riding sensibly then it doesn't really bother me, though I would always prefer they ask or at least say hello before doing it.

This.

I really don't get the attitude to be a dick and just fuck with them, without at least engaging first. What's wrong with just talking to the wheelsucker? If someone doesn't want them there...say so. Maybe they don't know better. I would find it truly bizarre to ask someone NOT to wheelsuck, and have them ignore my request. In 24 years of training in multiple states, I've NEVER had someone IGNORE a conversation on the road, or a request to go solo.

If they are a weaker, less experienced rider....take a minute to teach them the proper etiquette, and NOT give people the impression that all stronger riders are assholes.

cartsman wrote:
Context is important - if you're on roads with plenty of cyclists then it's fairly normal behaviour, but if you're in the middle of nowhere and riding along just the 2 of you it's pretty weird not to say something! I actually get much more bothered when somebody decides to pull in right in front of me - that's much more presumptuous as it messes with whatever workout I was planning. It's also more dangerous for me - when a rider crashes into another one from behind the rider in front is generally fine.

I agree its weird to just hang out back there without even saying "hello." But, people are weird, shy, don't know better, or maybe also an asshole. You don't know if you don't talk. Its just as weird to know they are back there, and also no say something...especially if its annoying someone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Definitely "hung onto" not "hung with"!

Hopefully a few years from now the story will be “dragged Bos up the hill”

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
take a minute to teach them the proper etiquette

Which is what? I posted this to find out if there is an etiquette, and per responses so far sounds like not really. To me, it seems proper to ask someone if it's ok for me to sit on their wheel before latching on. To a lot of other people, it's not necessary, apparently.

I'm riding along, a stranger joins in without saying anything, and is making me uncomfortable. I think discomfort is due to being in my space maybe, not sure why. If they ask, I never have and never see a reason to say no. But if they don't, they're annoying me. I don't care to initiate conversation with someone who doesn't think making me their domestique without my consent is ok.

Maybe another analogy is someone taking a seat at your table right next to you while there are tons of empty seats and not saying a word.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
Quote:
take a minute to teach them the proper etiquette

Which is what? I posted this to find out if there is an etiquette, and per responses so far sounds like not really. To me, it seems proper to ask someone if it's ok for me to sit on their wheel before latching on. To a lot of other people, it's not necessary, apparently.

I thought it was pretty clear, above. The proper etiquette is generally to pull along side and ask, "mind if I sit-in?" and Maybe exchange a pleasantry or two...or explain why you are looking for a free ride today..."Long one today...kinda beat, just trying to get home."

Then before you peal off, a "thanks for the lift! Catch-ya later." Maybe offer to do the pulling the next time (if that's not obviously silly).

You know...its just basic common courtesy. If you want help, and would like to invade another person's space...just ask, don't assume.

Quote:
I'm riding along, a stranger joins in without saying anything, and is making me uncomfortable. I think discomfort is due to being in my space maybe, not sure why. If they ask, I never have and never see a reason to say no. But if they don't, they're annoying me. I don't care to initiate conversation with someone who doesn't think making me their domestique without my consent is ok.

In all my years of riding, I've never had someone jump on my wheel when they KNEW it wasn't really cool. As noted above, the people who do that are typically newer, weaker riders. They've usually got a friend who they've ridden with and know the benefits of the draft. Once I notice they are there, I say something like, "oh Hi! Didn't notice you back there." then sit up and make a little small talk.

Assuming they really are new, a gentle suggestion like, "just so you know...not everyone is cool with being drafted without being asked. You're welcome to sit-in, just leave me a couple feet of space. When you come up on someone else, its best to say hello and ask first before sitting-in."

Quote:
Maybe another analogy is someone taking a seat at your table right next to you while there are tons of empty seats and not saying a word.

Yep, same deal. Again, I'm apt to at least say hello, and ask "where you from?" or something stupid like that. Every rarely so often, they will mumble something and quietly move to another table. I'm not really a social person, either...but, I try and make the effort.

But, I really can't understand just being an asshole out of the gate.

OTOH, if someone declined to get off my wheel when asked...okay then...game on. Of course, I'm 50 now...so my game isn't what it used to be (or what I think it was).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a woman I don't like it when some random dude starts sucking my wheel without saying hi or asking if it's OK. Usually it's an older guy on a road bike when I'm doing intervals or some designated training ride on my TT bike. It usually happens after I pass the guy with plenty of room and space. I usually give a quick "hi" if I'm not too winded to be polite. If it's just me riding w/o my husband, then I truly want to be alone and have my own personal space. I live in a rural area with plenty of road space for everyone. Secondly I find it nerve-wracking since I'm not familiar with the guy's bike handling skills. And thirdly I sometimes shut it right down after a hard interval for some recovery. Again it's the safety aspect. I don't need someone running into my wheel and taking us both down because I just finished a hard interval.

If someone is polite and asks to ride my wheel and I'm not doing intervals then it's fine. I'm a friendly athlete :-)

Common sense and courtesy goes a long ways.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see, so what you're saying is that when someone is being that guy, I should slow down, initiate conversation and explain to them that what they are doing is annoying and they should ask my permission first and thank me afterwards? Got it. Don't see myself doing that, but good to know. And no, this wasn't clear at all.

IMO, in life - on the bike or whatever - one should be able to do whatever they want, so long as they don't cause discomfort to others. What causes discomfort to others is subjective. I'm not about to lecture a stranger on how to act based on my beliefs just because they've made a mistake (per my belief) of latching on to me announced. My way of dealing with it is to think they're inconsiderate and mind my own business. Maybe when I age up/have kids, I will feel differently about this.

Going back to etiquette, I was wondering if there's an actual sequence of steps one is expected to follow in this case. Like Velominati rules or something people unanimously do that I'm not aware of as I don't ride with groups very often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
My way of dealing with it is to think they're inconsiderate and mind my own business. Maybe when I age up/have kids, I will feel differently about this.

May be...dunno. Maybe being a 50 year old father of 3 (now) adults with more grandkids, nieces and nephews that I can name or count makes me more that way.

People are remarkably oblivious to what does/does not bother other people. How would a new rider know that sucking someone's wheel without permission isn't cool? Not everyone attends local group rides, or seminars at the bike shop, or whatever where they might get taught.

I wasn't really suggesting a "lecture", more of a friendly conversation, AFTER some bit of rapport has been established. I wouldn't ever START the conversation with THAT.

if it turns out they really are a rude jerk, you can always still just ride away.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

I wasn't really suggesting a "lecture", more of a friendly conversation, AFTER some bit of rapport has been established. I wouldn't ever START the conversation with THAT.

if it turns out they really are a rude jerk, you can always still just ride away.

Well, that sounds like a big pain in the Ass (Hi Trail!).

Having to do that song and dance several times during a hard workout surely messes with training and concentration.
Yeah. I don't want to do that even if I'm just out for fun.

I'll cut some slack to a very young person. But anyone else? No. I'm not about about have a conversation. Not my job. I'll ignore them, or stop pedaling, or tell them to stop drafting me (not a conversation - a one-way communication).

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If someone wants to sit on my wheels then unless they introduce themselves or at least say hi and seem friendly, expect me to not give you any consideration. If my avoiding potholes(terrible roads in the UK) causes you to crash through them then tough luck as I wont be pointing them out. If you say hi though i'll adopt the usual group riding etiquette and I will point out things to avoid but I expect you to take a turn and do the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
I see, so what you're saying is that when someone is being that guy, I should slow down, initiate conversation and explain to them that what they are doing is annoying and they should ask my permission first and thank me afterwards? Got it. Don't see myself doing that, but good to know. And no, this wasn't clear at all.

IMO, in life - on the bike or whatever - one should be able to do whatever they want, so long as they don't cause discomfort to others. What causes discomfort to others is subjective. I'm not about to lecture a stranger on how to act based on my beliefs just because they've made a mistake (per my belief) of latching on to me announced. My way of dealing with it is to think they're inconsiderate and mind my own business. Maybe when I age up/have kids, I will feel differently about this.

Going back to etiquette, I was wondering if there's an actual sequence of steps one is expected to follow in this case. Like Velominati rules or something people unanimously do that I'm not aware of as I don't ride with groups very often.
May I point out what seems to me a certain logical irregularity in what you're saying?

In paragraph 2 you say you don't want to make others uncomfortable, however, you accept that what will make others uncomfortable is subjective.
In paragraph 1 you say people shouldn't tell others if what they're doing is likely to make others uncomfortable.
In paragraph 2 you say you just want to resent them privately.
In paragraph 3 you ask how you should act.

So you don't want to bother others; you know that what bothers people is not universal, and yet instead of being willing to converse with those involved to get the answer you need you're asking an online population who may not be the least bit representative of those you're encountering. Are you especially shy?

Surely, it's either acceptable to interact or it's not?
Someone hopping on your wheel is interacting with you, whether they speak to you or not. Once they do that, communication is justified, indeed necessary for safety. They are not entitled to their privacy having initiated contact. However, in my experience it's extremely rare for someone to hop onto my wheel without a word and attempt to stay there for any extended period. So this is a mostly hypothetical discussion!
Quote Reply
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [chunkytfg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably the only benefit of all the potholes we have, to deter unwanted wheel-suckers!

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [Iamleven] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iamleven wrote:
I don't mind if but if I ever didn't want someone on my wheel, I'd just talk to them.

That's what I'd do too. Really quickly they'd be like "holy shit, never coming near that guy again". People skillz.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sept 11. We all left early that day. I went for a ride on the lakefront path in Chicago. I was doing short intervals. I just passed the drake hotel towards the pier and some idiot was on my side on a bike, with a shopping basket. I called out and move to go round as the opposite lane was clear and just heard an enormous crash.

It turned out some bloke on a kestrel had been on my wheel. He is on the floor, his bike snapped in two on top tube and down tube. The guy who was in my lane is on the floor out cold and siezing

They were lucky it was where medics from northwestern had cigarette breaks. As they were there in seconds and the FD paramedics within minutes.

I never knew he was behind me. He was too close to see anything. I moved and it was too late for him to go anywhere.

Just idiotic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't like it especially when the person doesn't let you know that they are there. I've had that happen a few times where I'll happen to take a quick look over my left shoulder to check traffic before turning or to avoid an pothole/road hazard etc., only to see someone either half-wheeling me or tight behind my back wheel. Another time I had no idea someone was there or for how long until I heard "Thanks for the pull" as they turned right onto a side street.

Even when you know someone is there, it's annoying when they hang for as long as possible without reciprocating unless you say something. I had this during B2VT last month early on where I did a pull for about 5 miles with a paceline of about 15 bikes behind me and finally waved them through where no one stepped up on their own. A few said "Nice pull" as they went by but I was irked and didn't respond.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hypothetical to some and not others. I do a long ride outside at least once every 2 weeks, and I usually end up towing at least one person each time. The last couple of rides I went to Strava FlyBys and confirmed these guys were on cycling teams doing multiple races within the last few months, so they know what they're doing when they hop on, they know I'm a triathlete (my gear is obvious), and they must have some reason not to talk to me before latching on. That is why I asked, thought there's an unwritten rule I'm not aware of.

Re: irregularities, not following, sorry.
Quote:
In paragraph 1 you say people shouldn't tell others if what they're doing is likely to make others uncomfortable/quote] - it's the opposite, I don't tell people what they should or shouldn't do unless they ask my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I try to be nice. As long as I don't get the sense they are putting me in danger.

I will NOT wait up if there is a hill though. I'm decently skinny. I race bikes. So likelyhood is, they get a minute or two put on them up a 3min hill and never see them again.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That wouldn't be the CIS group would it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A comment about social aptitude on this thread?!! Seriously, I don't get this thread. I prefer people not to be on my wheel when I'm riding, but if they choose to sit there, who cares, it's not doing me any harm - look after your front wheel and you'll be fine. Seriously, people are concerned because when they finish an interval they stop sharply and the wheel sucker might slam into the back of you? What do you do, hit the brakes hard at the end of an interval or just sit up? Sit up - you'll be fine. If someone is there, speak with them, ride harder, I don't know, show some social aptitude! I don't get it. This thread is a prime example of why unfortunately a number of people I speak with find triathletes to be arrogant a holes. Tom Hampton (I think) summed it all up a few posts back. Talk to people, be friendly, or just get on with your training and don't worry about them. The one exception I concede is if they start trying to do pulls with you - that can be frustrating, but usually when that happens I adapt the session slightly - sweet, 15 mins of FTP efforts on this ride won't hurt. On one occasion I did say "I don't mean to be a jerk, but I'm trying to do a steady effort - are you okay to sit behind me or ride off and leave me" and the guy apologised and sat behind me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next