Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How come he runs a 3.34 in 2016 in San Diego and then in 2017 runs a 4.30. Note his 5km and 10km splits were the same in these races.
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [dtfedex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtfedex wrote:
Quick update. Just got word today that Derek from marathon investigators is now retracting his inquiry into Ed’s 2018 BQ race. So could it be that he actually falsely accused someone. We are down to 1 race with weak evidence. Call me a naive, loyal friend but I need more than that to turn on a buddy.

So what was his BQ race and time. Is it 3.25 for his AG? He doesn't look anywhere near that kind of shape. More like 4.30 which is what he ran in 2017.

I'm struggling to understand and sympathise with someone who prances around holding up their finishers medal for the official photographer with a big cheesy grin after he cut short the run course... not really defendable to be honest.
Last edited by: zedzded: Jul 28, 18 22:41
Quote Reply
Post deleted by zedzded [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: zedzded: Jul 28, 18 23:22
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that certainly was entertaining. I basically read every post about this women and found her Facebook page. Looks like she has lived a very sheltered life. Just judging from her pics/posts, she was an only child, her parents are very wealthy, although father recently died, she buys a new bike every couple months (I guess she was a pain in the ass to deal with at the bike shops), owns property all over the US, and her mom drives a chrome Mercedes. Maybe thats looking into her too much, but I can understand how she ended up like this. Lying and living off her parents wealth for years made her believe she could get away with anything. It also doesn't appear that she has many friends as all of her pictures are either of herself or her parents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You scooped me zedzded. Finkel is Einhorn. Thanks for the good laugh. I rode a P4 for years and doubt Ed’s was same size. I am 6’ tall. He def isn’t. We did buy them from same Tri store years ago and met through their Tri club. I was also the 2nd gunman on the grassy knoll and changed Anne Jones Strava file to better match mileage of race. Now I just need a good double letter name handle to use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Derek M wrote:

2. Regarding San Diego. Ed admits to not having run the full course in 2016 and 2018. Prior to writing the article I reached out to the track club. They provided a story regarding the circumstances of Ed’s run that was false. I proved that version false and presented that evidence in the initial article. Since posting my article I’ve received Ed’s story and I spoke on he phone with a different leader of the track club. The story from them more closely falls in line with my investigation. There should have been policies and procedures in place to make sure that pacers who ran less than the full event did not receive official times. I am confident that they will put these procedures in place going forward. The photos with finisher medals in 2016 and 2018 were a bad look and Ed admits to that.

-Derek Murphy
MarathonInvestigation.com

Only skim read the thread, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm struggling to see how his pacing races don't classify as cheating. He was registered for a race, issued with a timing, chip, cut the run course, claimed a medal plus photo and did nothing regarding the fact he had an official time. You shouldn't need to put in place "policies and procedures" for pacers, this guy was an experienced runner, he knows exactly how timing chips work and was well aware he had an official time, twice. I'm curious as to why he was DQ'd and not DNFed? You haven't done the course, you cross the finish line with your timing chip, the first thing you do is tell an offical, so they can DNF you. At the the Sunshine Coast worlds in 2016, there was some confusion about the number of laps of a certain section on the bike course, a few people did 1, came in well short of the correct bike distance and didn't inform anyone. They got a DQ. Those that mentioned it to an official got a DNF. The DQers may not have unintentionally cut the bike short, but not admitting to it, classifies as cheating. This guy is either a fucking cheat or a fucking moron.

He absolutely should not have taken a medal or posed for photos. I am not disputing that or really excusing it. It may or may nor be a case of "everyone else did it' in regards to the pacers. Speaking to Paul at the SD track club, it clearly seemed to be something that they never really addressed.Prior to this year RnR gave medals to runners that fell behind cutoffs - they carted them up the course and allowed them to finish - most of the time getting official times. So, in past years, pacers that only ran a portion of the course receiving official times and medals would be par for the course.

If we take the explanations of what happened ON COURSE at face value, then it does add some important context.

http://www.marathoninvestigation.com
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [dtfedex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtfedex wrote:
You scooped me zedzded. Finkel is Einhorn. Thanks for the good laugh. I rode a P4 for years and doubt Ed’s was same size. I am 6’ tall. He def isn’t. We did buy them from same Tri store years ago and met through their Tri club. I was also the 2nd gunman on the grassy knoll and changed Anne Jones Strava file to better match mileage of race. Now I just need a good double letter name handle to use.

Haha OK I got that wrong, sorry :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
How come he runs a 3.34 in 2016 in San Diego and then in 2017 runs a 4.30. Note his 5km and 10km splits were the same in these races.

His 5km and 10km splits were not the same in those two years. In 2016 he says he paced the first half and then peeled off, coming back in after mile 20.

In 2017 he says he paced the full race. Look at the photos, you can see him in front of the 4:25 pace stick. In 2016 he recalled that he paced the 4:30 for the first half only. His first half was about 6 minutes slower in 2016.

The information that I've been able to get from Ed is consistent with the data from those races. You can decide if you believe his story.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Calamityjane88 [ In reply to ]
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:

Finally, I don't see the problem with the pacers taking a medal and holding up their medals as an expression of their happiness and pride at the finish line. Their accomplishment is different than the average runner's. Their medal and photo doesn't detract from anyone else's accomplishment. There's no actual injury.

Yeah maybe he didn't cheat, but IMO real poor error of judgement, claiming the medal + photos and allowing his time to stand. It's deceptive and duplicitous. I did a park run a few weeks ago, but felt my calf tighten so turned just before the 2km mark. I came trotting over the finish line in "first", they tried to give me the no 1 finishers token, but I told them I was a DNF. Pretty simple really. If I'd taken that token, that would have been cheating. I'm not sure what he's done that's different, other than being an official pacer. Claiming the medal and allowing the time to stand when you've cut the run short, it's cheating.. maybe, just maybe this guy is a complete moron and didn't think about it, so perhaps he should be given the benefit of the doubt...
Last edited by: zedzded: Jul 29, 18 18:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:

Finally, I don't see the problem with the pacers taking a medal and holding up their medals as an expression of their happiness and pride at the finish line. Their accomplishment is different than the average runner's. Their medal and photo doesn't detract from anyone else's accomplishment. There's no actual injury.

Yeah maybe he didn't cheat, but IMO real poor error of judgement, claiming the medal + photos and allowing his time to stand. It's deceptive and duplicitous. I did a park run a few weeks ago, but felt my calf tighten so turned just before the 2km mark. I came trotting over the finish line in "first", they tried to give me the no 1 finishers token, but I told them I was a DNF. Pretty simple really. If I'd taken that token, that would have been cheating. I'm not sure what he's done that's different, other than being an official pacer. Claiming the medal and allowing the time to stand when you've cut the run short, it's cheating.. maybe, just maybe this guy is a complete moron and didn't think about it, so perhaps he should be given the benefit of the doubt...

Claiming? LOL. You are acting like a medal and a photo is something of value. Maybe to someone running his first marathon. But to someone who has run as many as this guy, it's useless crap to be put in a box and thrown away later if not directly thrown into the garbage.
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:

Claiming? LOL. You are acting like a medal and a photo is something of value. Maybe to someone running his first marathon. But to someone who has run as many as this guy, it's useless crap to be put in a box and thrown away later if not directly thrown into the garbage.

I don't give a shit about my medals, it's a worthless piece of metal no-one cares about. That's not the point. The point is, he claimed something he shouldn't have done. Doesn't matter whether it's a medal, t-shirt or a water bottle. He wasn't entitled to it, he claimed it, got his obligatory photo and didn't get his official time removed. Fuck the medal at the very least he should have ensured his result was sorted out, especially considering how many races he's done. He knows how timing chips work.
Last edited by: zedzded: Jul 29, 18 19:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted a follow up.

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2018/07/pacer-accused-removed-results.html

Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [Derek M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derek M wrote:
I posted a follow up.

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2018/07/pacer-accused-removed-results.html

Assuming he can qualify for Boston on a legit course, hitting all splits, not missing the typical photo spots, and using GPS to document it, then he will have mostly proven his case. Until then, he'll probably be on a short social media leash. :)
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, he only needs a 3:27. That should be childsplay for a 3:11 man!

That is the other silly thing about the 2018 PHX time (3:18)...if all you needed was a 3:27 (and when you ran the same course in 2015 and 2016 you have gotten pretty close to that time with 1:40 first halfs and a bit of a fade in the second half...), why would you be shooting for 1:28 at the half? Arguably, he looks twice as "run fit" in 2015 as well.

Honest Athlete
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [stevebadfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevebadfish wrote:

How interesting ... 3:11 is what Mike Rossi "ran" at Lehigh Valley

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
stevebadfish wrote:

How interesting ... 3:11 is what Mike Rossi "ran" at Lehigh Valley

Probably got the times All Mixed Up.
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Double Letter 311 club!

Honest Athlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would DQ myself but ask to keep the medal just as a reminder of how stupid I`m! But that is me!
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [stevebadfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevebadfish wrote:

That is the other silly thing about the 2018 PHX time (3:18)...if all you needed was a 3:27 (and when you ran the same course in 2015 and 2016 you have gotten pretty close to that time with 1:40 first halfs and a bit of a fade in the second half...), why would you be shooting for 1:28 at the half? Arguably, he looks twice as "run fit" in 2015 as well.

1000' elevation loss if I recall for first half. Too many downhill races in USA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed...Tucson! Revel! That said, I only see it as a real advantage (ie big PR potential) for a "slimmer" runner who has done some downhill training. For the average to borderline BQ runner of a certain BMI, you had better chill the f out coming down that 1% or your quads are going to explode in the last half.

Honest Athlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevebadfish wrote:
Agreed...Tucson! Revel! That said, I only see it as a real advantage (ie big PR potential) for a "slimmer" runner who has done some downhill training. For the average to borderline BQ runner of a certain BMI, you had better chill the f out coming down that 1% or your quads are going to explode in the last half.

Disagree.. think the bigger runners get the big time gains
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [Derek M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derek M wrote:
I posted a follow up.

Thanks for that Derek. It seems to raise more questions... I don't get the whole pacing thing. 2016 he paces but can't keep up. 2017 he paces but then ducks off and starts pacing with another group, 2018 he paces but goes slower than the pace he was designated. Perhaps he needs to rethink his career as a pacer.

I think what he's done, he's cut the course, got the medal, got the official time and left it there allowing people to believe he ran a 3.35 when they look at the results. And he's got the pacer "cover" story. Anyone challenges me, this is what happened. "Now I'll remove myself from the results"..... If you've been racing a while you'd have a number of friends, club mates, family etc googling your results and sending you congratulatory messages. Even if he'd "forgotten" to remove himself from the results, those messages would have been timely reminders... only now he does that.

Is he capable of running a 3.11? Runners come in all shapes and sizes, but the quicker those times get, the smaller and leaner the guys become. I've never seen anyone with that build run a 3.11. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it would be rare to find a big unit that can run that quick.

He has a GPS watch that he uses in races, but never saves it....

Strange splits for the Mesa-Phx race, most of the guys finishing at a similar time had between a 2 - 5 minute positive split discrepancy, his was 22mins. He runs the first half in 1.28, then runs a 1.50.

He's a cheat who has covered his ass to some extent e.g with the pacing story. But when you add everything up, odd split times, not saving the GPS race data, getting the medal/photos, not getting the time removed, his physique etc Too many red flags.
Last edited by: zedzded: Jul 30, 18 18:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Derek M wrote:
I posted a follow up.

Thanks for that Derek. It seems to raise more questions... I don't get the whole pacing thing. 2016 he paces but can't keep up. 2017 he paces but then ducks off and starts pacing with another group, 2018 he paces but goes slower than the pace he was designated. Perhaps he needs to rethink his career as a pacer.

I think what he's done, he's cut the course, got the medal, got the official time and left it there allowing people to believe he ran a 3.35 when they look at the results. And he's got the pacer "cover" story. Anyone challenges me, this is what happened. "Now I'll remove myself from the results"..... If you've been racing a while you'd have a number of friends, club mates, family etc googling your results and sending you congratulatory messages. Even if he'd "forgotten" to remove himself from the results, those messages would have been timely reminders... only now he does that.

Is he capable of running a 3.11? Runners come in all shapes and sizes, but the quicker those times get, the smaller and leaner the guys become. I've never seen anyone with that build run a 3.11. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it would be rare to find a big unit that can run that quick.

He has a GPS watch that he uses in races, but never saves it....

Strange splits for the Mesa-Phx race, most of the guys finishing at a similar time had between a 2 - 5 minute positive split discrepancy, his was 22mins. He runs the first half in 1.28, then runs a 1.50.

He's a cheat who has covered his ass to some extent e.g with the pacing story. But when you add everything up, odd split times, not saving the GPS race data, getting the medal/photos, not getting the time removed, his physique etc Too many red flags.

pretty much.. GPS watches are cheap = no excuse.
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I'm mid 30's and it still baffles me, how to manipulate an post workout garmin file, but I guess I'm very non-tech savy with stuff like that.

ETA: Like how to make sure you covered every detail of the new corrupted file so that it's a seamless no questions asks new workout file, is above my pay grade.

Apparently she's very non-tech savvy too given how she tried to "manipulate" this. :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next