Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t mind if someone jumps on my wheel but I’d like to get a heads to that you’re still there so I’m aware. And please, please DO NOT half wheel me! Had someone do that to me today and when I was about to turn I had to turn around and tell him since he was so close.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I always find it a bit strange the folks that get all worked up about this!

If someone does that to me - great, sit on my wheel all you like. At some point I'll turn around and say "Hi. I'm Steve. Nice riding with you. Care to take a pull?"

If I come up on someone - I'll sit in, and then come around and ride side by side if safe, intro myself, and ask them if we can ride together?

Generally speaking most roadie types are all cool with this.

How do you feel if someone wordlessly moves one step behind you and follows you tight as you walk around? It feels the exact same to me.

It doesn't help that most wheelsuckers are incredibly obnoxious about it. For example, if one settles on my wheel and I sit up to force them past because I don't want them there, some are happy to sit on my wheel as I coast from 20mph to 10mph and still sit there when I'm clearly not interested in being a draft horse. Rude.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't help that most wheelsuckers are incredibly obnoxious about it. For example, if one settles on my wheel and I sit up to force them past because I don't want them there, some are happy to sit on my wheel as I coast from 20mph to 10mph and still sit there when I'm clearly not interested in being a draft horse. Rude.

In 30+ years of riding, I've never encountered anything like this.

Do you road race? Do you group ride with accomplished road cyclists or triathletes?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

In 30+ years of riding, I've never encountered anything like this.

Do you road race? Do you group ride with accomplished road cyclists or triathletes?

No road racing; as I said upthread (though not chastising you for not remembering) I do tri in large part because I want nothing to do with drafting or being drafted by people I don't know and trust.

I must ask though, have you ever had someone hop on your wheel and coasted to get them off? If you're a road racer happy with that situation then of course you'd never notice if someone on your wheel would refuse to get off, because you're not sitting up to try to force it.

These particular drafters occur in Austin, both out on Parmer and on the COTA bike nights. I can't tell you a thing about whether the people in question are accomplished roadies or triathletes because, as mentioned, my issue with them is I have no idea who they are or what their skill level is. It does happen quite regularly however. On occasions that I ride in a group, the people I ride with are far more accomplished than I am and I'm perfectly comfortable in close quarters as a result.

Now if someone asked permission first (and I mean before latching on, not a "thanks" after peeling off), I'd probably trust them more. The ghost that suddenly and silently appears on my wheel? I hate that person.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in NYC coming back from the standard weekend ride on 9w there is a 7 mile stretch, after all the hills are done, and its stlightly downhill. My favorite thing to do is to be TTing there, and pick up a large team that I've never met before and see them all working really hard to stay on my wheel. I love it. I definitely try not to drop and try to point things out, just like its someone I knew.

I always get some attaboys and thank yous... and I love getting the comment that "I didn't know triathletes could ride like that" :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll admit to wheel sucking once.

Final road section at the end of a 100km XC MTB ride which was necessary to get from trail to home. Riding a hardtail 29er.

Came up to a T junction as a group of roadies went past. Next part of road was a causeway, usually pretty bad headwind, about 3km log section.

Hooked straight on to the back of the train...Let the back guy know I was there however. I was gassed and didn’t feel like busting my arse in to headwind.
Quote Reply
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
I normally sit up, brake and wave him up the road, then take a drink, eat a bite, take a pee.

I just find it rude, as out in the countryside there is enough space to keep your distance. So it sort of invades my privacy to some extend if some random person latches on and without asking/introducing himself sniffs my ass for extended periods of time (after all you ride alone for a reason).

One never knows what the dudes credentials are (chances are they are pretty weak, if he can't find anybody to ride with), and the last thing I need is some bozo running into me from behind while he's redlining and crashing me out.

Yeah. I often pull over and slow down. But half these losers go slower after passing me, so I encounter them again.

Sometimes I ignore them, and one time I did that it was three guys behind me for a bit. I rode as I normally do when alone, including going over some bad pavement by just ligthening myself on the bike (no swerving). At which point I heard the sound of bikes crashing and some yelling. Losers.

dcohen24 wrote:
in NYC coming back from the standard weekend ride on 9w there is a 7 mile stretch, after all the hills are done, and its stlightly downhill. My favorite thing to do is to be TTing there, and pick up a large team that I've never met before and see them all working really hard to stay on my wheel. I love it. I definitely try not to drop and try to point things out, just like its someone I knew.
The crashing above was on that stretch of road.

A friend of mine stopped for a red light In Central Park some years ago (at West 81st Street crosswalk, due to pedestrians waiting to cross) and some clown drafting him without permission hit him, with my friend breaking a collarbone.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Last edited by: jt10000: Jul 28, 18 17:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't mind unless they are from a local club called the Racing Greyhounds. 90% of them are jerks to everyone riding on the road and piss off the local traffic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will slow way down. Then speed way up. Maybe stop. If all else fails I have race experience with peeing on the bike
Quote Reply
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because I do not trust most people cycling experience and if they aren’t paying attention and I stop I’m going to get hurt.

Pass or drop back. Side by side to say hi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
What's the etiquette when some random dude decides to hop on your wheel without asking and just sits there? On a solo ride or long commute?

I get annoyed and drop them. I feel stupid but it just annoys me, and I'm burning matches for no good reason. I usually enjoy the company if they ask, but sometimes they don't and I don't want them next to me, am I overreacting?

I am never a fan when someone just jumps right on. How hard is it to chat someone up and just ask. To me it is safety thing, if they don't understand why it is important to ask then the really don't have the experience level in my opinion to where I am going to be confident in knowing what they might or might not do. Common courtesy to ask.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't it matter what distance you are hanging back? Often I come across people I don't know and I'll never go right to their wheel but sit 10-15 feet back so I still get some draft, but I'm not all up in their business and am able to respond if they make unannounced maneuvers (because I didn't get any agreement to ride with them).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talk to them. Say hi. Make new friends.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sucking wheel is almost the norm here in bike crazy norcal. And I love it. It's a tacit sign of your strength when someone latches on.

I wouldn't do this outside of a bike crazy area like norcal, but here it's awesome , makes a borig solo ride a lot more fun as the gravy train gets longer and the speed goes up and up!
Quote Reply
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If someone is competent, they will introduce themselves. The proper method (imo) when coming up behind is to pull alongside, say "hi", then "where you headed...mind if I sit in?".

PS "Half wheeling" refers to, on an easy group ride, riding slightly ahead of the person on your side, encouraging them to speed up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, it’s a safety thing. If I wanted to do a group ride, I would do a group ride. The people who suck wheel are risking the safety of the individual at the front and themselves. You don’t know what route he’s planning to take, if he’s doing intervals, or if he is going to make a sudden stop. And it is not the responsibility of the person in front to announce themselves of up coming turns, slowing, debris, potholes, etc. Now if you ask right at the beginning and the individual is ok with it, then I would expect the person at the front to announce those things.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
I will slow way down. Then speed way up. Maybe stop. If all else fails I have race experience with peeing on the bike
Actually there is a much simpler way to get rid of wheelsuckers. Simply put out few farts in regular time intervalls, preferably smelly, and they will be gone.
Quote Reply
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
Talk to them. Say hi. Make new friends.

Would you do that if someone started following one step behind you on foot? I want to ride my bike in calm zen, not thinking about the jackass who's freeloading and too lazy to ask if I mind.

And someone drafting you isn't a sign of strength; I have less power on the bike than most of you. It's a sign that the drafter is lazy and rude.

Quote Reply
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer that someone acknowledge and ask to share pulls.

I had someone latch onto my wheel once, but I did not know he was there. (I am somewhat hearing impaired and do not wear hearing aids when riding). He crashed into me and went down hard. Could have taken me down.

Couple of years later, I was just returning to cycling after being rear-ended by a car on a bike ride. A guy latches onto my wheel and I was just super uncomfortable having someone I do not know on my wheel, so stopped and asked him to desist as I was uncomfortable. In both cases, I feel that it was this male testosterone "let me jump on that fast moving bike" and show him. I have never seen a woman do that.

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply
Re: Strangers sucking wheel [cervelo-van] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man that’s terrible luck! I was actually doing intervals and figured when I went on my easy recovery he’d pass. But nope, he was still there. I honestly wouldn’t have minded but he didn’t even acknowledge me when we were stopped at a light even after him being on my wheel for a while. Oh well!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Jul 29, 18 21:02
Quote | Reply
Doesn't bother me commuting, when it's more likely. What normally happens commuting, is some MAMIL on a race bike with big calves will come mashing it past, get 100m up the road, and then blow-up :-)

On training rides, it's normally pretty quiet, and on the occasions I have caught people, it's rare for them to be able to hold my wheel; but when they have, they do normally say thanks afterwards. In fact once, a roadie drafted me for a bit, then muttered something as he dropped me on a short incline, then blew-up (see above), I caught him again after about 2 miles and then he drafted me again for another 6-7 miles until I turned off! That was a bit lame on his part.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it is unannounced wheel sucking I won't welcome it and will either charge up the next hill or sit up, I have been injured by other's poor bike handling before and it is such a lousy way to get hurt. On the other hand if someone asks and seems coherent I am happy to give them a tow. A few years ago I came across a guy I knew from a local club here in NYC who had bonked on his way back home on 9W. Good karma with the wheel gods.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If someone jumps on my wheel unannounced, I'll usually just slow down and they'll go around me. More often than not, I'll pass them again but most people get the point and won't jump back on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd rather avoid the sucking strangers.

Who knows how well they handle group riding. Some dude on a tri bike in aero riding your wheel inches away and you swerve for a rock and he hits you? Almost as bad as the distracted driver. You don't know how they will react.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply

Prev Next