Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lochte banned 14 months.....
Quote | Reply
https://swimswam.com/olympian-ryan-lochte-banned-14months-due-to-ivinfusion/

"American Olympian Ryan Lochte has accepted a 14-month ban for having received intravenous infusions in a volume greater than 100mL in a 12-hour period without a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE)."

Anything to stay competitive?
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Outed himself on social media, proving he is perhaps even dumber than we already thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
"American Olympian Ryan Lochte has accepted a 14-month ban for having received intravenous infusions in a volume greater than 100mL in a 12-hour period without a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE)."

I don't even understand why this practice is illegal; he was apparently injecting totally legal stuff so why is "greater than 100 mL in 12 hr" considered a problem by WADA??? If the drugs or fluids or carbs, etc, are completely legal, then why is the mode of uptake even an issue???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

I don't even understand why this practice is illegal; he was apparently injecting totally legal stuff so why is "greater than 100 mL in 12 hr" considered a problem by WADA??? If the drugs or fluids or carbs, etc, are completely legal, then why is the mode of uptake even an issue???

I hope someone has a legit answer for this because I simply assumed this is more for wrestlers and boxers trying to make weight and then hydrate quickly... which to me is cheating since that is part of the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

I hope someone has a legit answer for this because I simply assumed this is more for wrestlers and boxers trying to make weight and then hydrate quickly... which to me is cheating since that is part of the sport.

Additionally, because those are the rules.

And sport exists within an arbitrary set of rules defining what is allowed or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

It's illegal because it could allow one to plasma volume, to dilute or mask a substance, and because it would allow to cheat the bio passport. Among other things.
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

It's illegal because it could allow one to plasma volume, to dilute or mask a substance, and because it would allow to cheat the bio passport. Among other things.

still, when i saw this my brain immediately went to the post-kona med tent. all those IVs are now doping violations. not that this is any more the practice. maybe noakesian thought has prevailed.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes 1 normal sized IV bag is illegal and thus you would need to apply for post-dated TUE. 100ml is the tiny mini sized IV bag....which I think "standard" is 250ml.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Francois wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

still, when i saw this my brain immediately went to the post-kona med tent. all those IVs are now doping violations. not that this is any more the practice. maybe noakesian thought has prevailed.

I think technically, it does not apply in the medical tent, because it's saline/glucose, and the med tent is considered as a 'hospital admission' under medical care.
Falls within table 3 here https://www.wada-ama.org/..._4.1_-_july_2016.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Francois wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

There are exceptions to the banned method.

For example emergency care, cancer treatment etc.

You could argue or one “could” argue that some in that tent post Kona actually need an IV administered under the emergency care of a doctor.

Of course we know- or could reasonably guess this percentage is quite small.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And to clarify, in the medical tent, the physician would still need to justify the need for an infusion and that it's the best course of action medically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there anything updated from that...that document is from 2016, and things with WADA change yearly. I spoke with USADA officials 3 weeks ago, and they told me post race IV's need an TUE if more than the prescribed amount.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

Ah, i see, this makes more sense now; i had not thought of the "masking" potential. Thanks!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Is there anything updated from that...that document is from 2016, and things with WADA change yearly. I spoke with USADA officials 3 weeks ago, and they told me post race IV's need an TUE if more than the prescribed amount.

I don't think there is anything updated. I wouldn't be surprised if they just make a blanket statement to say it's not allowed. The rules are clearly written to be superseded a medical dx in a 'hospital' setting.
So, if you arrive to the medical tent delirious etc. your physician will make a call, which is really seen as a on the spot TUE. I guess USADA would rather make a blanket statement to avoid every other athlete faking it in the med tent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

I don't think there is anything updated. I wouldn't be surprised if they just make a blanket statement to say it's not allowed. The rules are clearly written to be superseded a medical dx in a 'hospital' setting.
So, if you arrive to the medical tent delirious etc. your physician will make a call, which is really seen as a on the spot TUE. I guess USADA would rather make a blanket statement to avoid every other athlete faking it in the med tent.

when i first saw the change to the Code, and read the exceptions, i didn't see anything about post-ironman IVs that would qualify as a medical emergency exception. they can certainly do what they want at WADA. but i seem to remember, looking at this at the time, that the med tent would not qualify, otherwise that's a tacit admission that all these folks crossing the line are in medical emergency territory. it's further complicated by the latest best practices through the prism of hyponatremia.

but like i said, maybe they're not even doing industrial scale IVs anymore there. i don't know.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:

This is one of those cases where it's not right or good to put yourself in somebody else's shoes. Of course your average Joe doesn't know squat about professional doping regulations. Of course most of us would have been completely blindsided but such a seemingly strange rule. But this is part of the profession Lochte has chosen to follow. He's 33 years old. He needs to get with the program IMHO.
Last edited by: SH: Jul 23, 18 10:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.usada.org/...ns-explanatory-note/

There is definitely a bit of flexibility, but it will still require a TUE in the medical tent. But it has to be documented. And as you said, no more 'everyone gets an IV at the end of the race'. Which was always pretty ridiculous to begin with.
Last edited by: Francois: Jul 23, 18 10:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, often there is more to it than at first meets the eye. Its one week before the national championships, and Ryan was injecting the B vitamins. It wasn't the end of a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Right, its not like IV's have not been at the center of some of the biggest doping controversies ever. Oh wait . . .

Even if the IV is just saline, it does make some sense just for optics alone to not allow the sidelines to be filed with guys and gals hooked up to hoses. That would not look too good even if an argument could be made it is not the worse thing in the world . . . . My hunch is the uptake rule is meant to make IVs impractical unless there is a damn good medical reason for them, even if a TUE is not required in every case of use.
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
Yes, often there is more to it than at first meets the eye. Its one week before the national championships, and Ryan was injecting the B vitamins. It wasn't the end of a race.

The IV in question happened on May 24th, or at least that's when he posted the pic of him getting an IV on instagram.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
https://www.usada.org/...ns-explanatory-note/

There is definitely a bit of flexibility, but it will still require a TUE in the medical tent. But it has to be documented. And as you said, no more 'everyone gets an IV at the end of the race'. Which was always pretty ridiculous to begin with.

Say for example, one or two of those out of 100 post Kona or any other event is severely dehydrated and legitimately needs that IV.

Would that not qualify as emergency care? Ie if I get into a car accident and need two pints of blood under emergency surgery...pretty sure I don’t need a TUE, also pretty sure I wouldn’t be blood doping.

Anyways, just a question I think the spirit or intent is not to bust people under legitimate (emergency) medical care regardless of location.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rules would allow an iV with a post justification for the TUE
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
Quote:

Right, its not like IV's have not been at the center of some of the biggest doping controversies ever. Oh wait . . .

Even if the IV is just saline, it does make some sense just for optics alone to not allow the sidelines to be filed with guys and gals hooked up to hoses. That would not look too good even if an argument could be made it is not the worse thing in the world . . . . My hunch is the uptake rule is meant to make IVs impractical unless there is a damn good medical reason for them, even if a TUE is not required in every case of use.

There are also certain banned methods instituted via WADA for short time periods.

IE the olympics have a zero tolerance policy for the two weeks of the games. No needles, period.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At IM Boulder, I had 3 of the giant bags for my issues that day. They did not immediately give me an IV despite blacking out on the course and being in extremely bad shape, but the doc did eventually order it, and specifically asked for the large bags (I did not know they had small bags or really anything about the bag sizes in general).

I am pretty sure the anti doping code allows medical professionals the room to do what they need to do for a patient's health.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is from the linked SwimSwam article. Sounds like there would be no issue from a post IM IV under a doctor's direction if you really need it for health reasons:

Quote:
The USADA specified,“Intravenous infusions or injections in a volume greater than 100 mL within a 12-hour period are prohibited at all times – except for those legitimately received in the course of hospital treatment, surgical procedures, or clinical diagnostic investigations
Quote Reply

Prev Next