Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hutchinson FUSION 5 GALACTIK 11STORM
Quote | Reply
Anybody run these/try these yet? Tubeless?
Quote Reply
Re: Hutchinson FUSION 5 GALACTIK 11STORM [b.will] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
b.will wrote:

Not until they shorten the name ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
b.will wrote:

I have a pair of the Galactik TLR 11 Storm tires at home waiting to be mounted up to a pair of Mavic's new UST rims (in addition to the stock Mavic tires). I'm on the road for a trade show this week but will try them out next week when I get home. I'm cautiously optimistic about this tire :)
Quote Reply
Re: Hutchinson FUSION 5 GALACTIK 11STORM [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does that mean you are testing it soon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
b.will wrote:
does that mean you are testing it soon?

See post #2 above ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been running the Performance version of the Fusion 5 tubeless 11 Storms, rather than Galaktiks. I ordered them from StarBike in Germany for about $40 a piece.
This is my first go with tubeless, and holy crap, are they awesome! They're mounted on Boyd Altamonts, and I'm using 700x25's.
They're very comfortable (I run ~90 psi), and feel extremely smooth and fast. I have maybe 500 miles on them so far, and no visible signs of wear, and no flats. I'm using Hutchinson sealant.
They were very easy to mount, and sealed with a floor pump- after I had spun the wheels slowly and side to side to spread the sealant, then waited about half an hour to let the sealant get a bit tacky around the tire/rim bead interface.
So far, absolutely zero regrets.
Cheers,
John
Quote Reply
Re: Hutchinson FUSION 5 GALACTIK 11STORM [j2k2dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve been running the 11storm for a few hundred miles. Prior I ran the pro ones TL and gp4000 tubes all on DT Swiss AL tubeless rims .

Note, the Hutch interGlatitic are more of a race day tire than the Pro One and GP4000, which have more flat protection technically.

Impressions:
Pro Ones: felt a touch slower the the GP4000s, rode better (100psi vs 85). Seemed to attract cuts and would seal well with Stan’s or Orange- a pin hole would nearly flat the tire. Extra ordinarily difficult to remove deflated carcass from rim, requires a tiny flat screw driver to get any other lever under it even with valve open.

Glacticon 11stooooorrrrmmnnm! : stupid name. Ride a lot better than either. Feels floaty and not confidence inspiring transitioning into corners. Don’t seem to pickup the same amount of road grit, especially in the wet. Seem to roll better than the Ones, Strava seems to agree.
In Reply To:
Last edited by: jfranci3: Jul 22, 18 14:29
Quote Reply
Re: Hutchinson FUSION 5 GALACTIK 11STORM [jfranci3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jfranci3 wrote:
I’ve been running the 11storm for a few hundred miles. Prior I ran the pro ones TL and gp4000 tubes all on DT Swiss AL tubeless rims .

Note, the Hutch interGlatitic are more of a race day tire than the Pro One and GP4000, which have more flat protection technically.

Impressions:
Pro Ones: felt a touch slower the the GP4000s, rode better (100psi vs 85). Seemed to attract cuts and would seal well with Stan’s or Orange- a pin hole would nearly flat the tire. Extra ordinarily difficult to remove deflated carcass from rim, requires a tiny flat screw driver to get any other lever under it even with valve open.

Glacticon 11stooooorrrrmmnnm! : stupid name. Ride a lot better than either. Feels floaty and not confidence inspiring transitioning into corners. Don’t seem to pickup the same amount of road grit, especially in the wet. Seem to roll better than the Ones, Strava seems to agree.
In Reply To:

I have the regular Performance version as well; been running them for a few months on some rides. Agreed about the "floaty" feeling, and when I try to run them at the low pressures I feel about for tubeless (70/75) they just feel numb and squidgy, not smooth and comfortable. Now I use them at 80/85 and they feel good enough, but not better than GP4Ks on latex at similar pressures. They do look to be wearing like iron though, as yours are.

All in all though, if this is representative of the wonders of tubeless, count me out.

And you missed the best/worst part of the name: INFERNAL! compound!

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Hutchinson FUSION 5 GALACTIK 11STORM [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see the floatiness as a soft sidewall stretchy thing or tire share issue. The pro ones never felt like that.

Also of note, the Pro Ones 25c measured 27mm on my wheels, the FISSION 5000 GALACTIK 12HuRRICANES measure true to size. Keep that in mind if you're going aeroer-storm. .
Quote Reply