Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Women's Philadelphia Tri Women's panel, Your input, please?
Quote | Reply
Hi all:
I'm excited to announce I'll be moderating the Women For Tri Panel at noon July 7th at the expo. Topic is "What New Triathletes Need to Know." It's been a long time since I've been a New Triathlete, so do you all have any nuggets of wisdom you'd like to share? Here's the race weekend schedule.
My standards are "This one is just to get your feet wet. Enjoy the experience and make some new friends. Don't forget to breathe."
This is a pool triathlon, 9 mile bike, 5 K run, with relay, Duathlon, and Aquathlon options.
One of my Tri Business Int'l colleagues, after a meeting w the city officials, mentioned that they are very excited about this event, even though it falls during a crowded event schedule. Even if you're not racing, would be great if any of you locals could come out to the expo or event to cheer or volunteer.
I'm flying into BWI and bringing my sister along for the fun of it. She's not racing, but will probably volunteer/cheer. Maybe I'll ask her to Morris Dance at the transition area... That's her sport, and she's great at it.
Bye now...

Hi Everyone:
This race came about during the Triathlon Business International conference in Tempe. Everyone agreed that pool swims were the best way to introduce tri-curious but swim-anxious women to multisport. Steve from DelMo Sports stood up and said "hey, I'm going to put on a women's tri w a pool swim in Philly. this summer." And he did.
It may not suit those of us who are experienced in the sport, but each of knows at least one woman (don't forget your young friends and relatives,) who's tri curious and hasn't had the opportunity to check out our sport.
Here are the details: http://delmosports.com/...iladelphia-triathlon
I'm planning to participate, by the way.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Last edited by: STConcierge: Jun 27, 18 13:00
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Philadelphia Tri, excellent beginner race... [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Karen! I am in Philly and will be participating as well. DelMo puts on great events. I did Tri the Wildwood last year, and hubs is doing AC 70.3. Looking forward to seeing what this new race has to offer! Are you in the Philly area?
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Philadelphia Tri, excellent beginner race... [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also doing this race. Local enough I can bike to / from transition race morning plus less concern of a swim cancellation vs anything held in the river. Funny, I could hear Steve's voice as you quoted him.

I gotta say though, pool tri's are kinda annoying to me - excess standing around waiting my turn to get in the water. I'm used to being a late wave due to my age group but pool tri starts are extra protracted in my experience with small events (~300 racers) and if I recall, he was considering a field size of 3000. If you give a gap of 5 sec between swimmers, 15,000 sec or 4 h 10 min to get everyone into the pool. When I asked about it the response was "relax". Very Delmo in style but not so helpful in easing my concern if having to clear transition possibly waaay ahead of getting to race.

So by chance, do you know what the plans might be for starting the swim? Let 5 people go at a time, 5 sec apart? Have you seen large pool tri's in the past?

(Not worried about it and don't need to relax. Just genuinely curious.)

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Philadelphia Tri, excellent beginner race... [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
I'm also doing this race. Local enough I can bike to / from transition race morning plus less concern of a swim cancellation vs anything held in the river. Funny, I could hear Steve's voice as you quoted him.

I gotta say though, pool tri's are kinda annoying to me - excess standing around waiting my turn to get in the water. I'm used to being a late wave due to my age group but pool tri starts are extra protracted in my experience with small events (~300 racers) and if I recall, he was considering a field size of 3000. If you give a gap of 5 sec between swimmers, 15,000 sec or 4 h 10 min to get everyone into the pool. When I asked about it the response was "relax". Very Delmo in style but not so helpful in easing my concern if having to clear transition possibly waaay ahead of getting to race.

So by chance, do you know what the plans might be for starting the swim? Let 5 people go at a time, 5 sec apart? Have you seen large pool tri's in the past?

(Not worried about it and don't need to relax. Just genuinely curious.)

I have seriously been wondering this myself. It looks like they are keeping one lane open -- there are actually 9 lanes, one is being described as "lane 0" with nothing in it. I'm really curious. I signed up for it so I'm doing it... The awards ceremony is at 10, and it starts at 7:30, so he must be very confident that this is going to be done pretty quickly, which baffles me. It looks like a "shared" lane situation, go down one side, come up the other, serpentine until you're out. I really wish he would answer this question. I think they are capping at 1500. They are 80% full according to the site. I'm wondering if he's banking on the 30% don't show rule. My head is going to explode trying to figure out the logistics of this.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Philadelphia Tri, excellent beginner race... [Phunctional] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done a serpentine swim before. That was fine. But I was 2nd to last to get in and it was a long wait standing in line around the pool. Would have to look it up if I still have my notes from that 2009 (I think) race.

2 of my pool tries were ordered by expected finishing time. The 1st was by expected swim time, the 2nd by expected overall race time. The 3rd one was the Lifetime indoor tri, where the whole race was run in waves. 10-15 swimmers swam at once, splitting lanes, for 10 min and they had counters counting laps, which was how it was scored (who logged the most distance in fixed time). It's a neat idea, particularly when told what wave you're in and that you can arrive by a certain time rather than normal outdoor tri where everyone must be on site by the same time regardless if wave start time. (I understand the need for this.)

Oh well, guess we'll know when we know.

Quote Reply
Re: Women's Philadelphia Tri, excellent beginner race... [Phunctional] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, actually I am flying into BWI and visiting family before and after. I'll drive to Philly on Saturday AM. I'll be staying at one of the host hotels very close to the venue. Steve DelMonte has asked me to talk a little about some of the Tri initiatives we're working on together :I'll probably throw in a story or two about my early days working at Quintana Roo w Slowman Dan.
Looking forward to seeing you Slowtwitchers....
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Philadelphia Tri, excellent beginner race... [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phunctional and Tsunami:
How did you like the event? I had a blast, and found the whole thing very well organized and extremely user friendly.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gave it a good review in a separate tnread. Check in was easy (drove down the day before and did my brick workout on course). Biking in race morning was a snap. Have no complaints since I got in the water fairly early. I based my pace off what I can repeat for 100's in a 25 m pool, and hoped drafting and race mentality would help me hold that for 400 m. Alas, I was wrong.

But the bright side of getting in the water when I did was an uncrowded bike course and a clean transition both times I came through. In years past (at other races) I've been the person coming in from the bike but being slowed up a bit by finished racers milling about.

My running hasn't been going well, which plays in to my being really inconsistent with it. So I biked like no matter what the run would never be there. But I surprised myself, which can only have worked since it was such a short race. End result, 200th in the swim, 3rd fastest bike split, 10th overall, in my first outdoor triathlon since having hip surgery last year.

Next year I hope to swim the 400 in the time I did the 350 (ie, belong in the pace grouping I was in) and to run faster.

ETR - I saw in the other thread that you raced, so no need to have asked it again here. My bad for creating the extra thread and thinning out the dialog.

Last edited by: Tsunami: Jul 16, 18 19:51
Quote Reply