Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oakley ARO7 helmet
Quote | Reply
I think the first wave of orders should be delivered soon. I should be receiving mine this week. So I thought I’d start this thread so people can chime in with their reviews and experiences.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley ARO7 helmet [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll be racing the Tour of California Amatuer race today before the pros go off wearing one I got from team Dimension Data.

Just from trying it on here are some of my thoughts:

1) visor mechanism sucks compared to Giro Aerohead. Not as strong of magnets to connect to helmet, so it is kind of difficult to flip the visor to the “up” position.

2) prism lens is gorgeous, also came with a clear visor, which would be amazing for cloudy days.

3) latch mechanism is amazing. Magnetized so if you get the ends close to each other, it latches. Super quick and easy (great for T1) then removing is just squeezing it and it comes apart (no pushing the “buttons” in like traditional helmet latch)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They definitely run tight. A medium doesn't really fit me, I wear medium in most other helmets.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley ARO7 helmet [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andres wrote:
They definitely run tight. A medium doesn't really fit me, I wear medium in most other helmets.

I ordered a medium but I'm always on the low side of the M measurements so I'm probably good.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Andres wrote:

I ordered a medium but I'm always on the low side of the M measurements so I'm probably good.

Received mine yesterday. I’d say the helmet runs small-ish for sizing. As stated above, I’m always on the low side of a medium helmet measurement and my noggin definitely fills the ARO7. Not as much helmet real estate left as per usual with a medium helmet. So folks on the high end of a medium measurement might want to think about a large ARO7, or order both and return one.

Nicely designed helmet. I can see the above critique that the visor magnet isn’t as strong and grippy as the Aerohead, but it’s probably better than most others not named Aerohead. The prism visor is definitely very nice. Awesome shade and clarity. The buckle mechanism is unique with the magnet. It seems like it will vent better than the Aerohead but that’s just on looks and number of vents. The helmet also comes with its own case, and a clear visor.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had mine for a week now and have used it twice. We have a local Wed night TT. Last week was sunny and the Prism visor was great - excellent optics, way better than my Selector. Last night was overcast so I tried the clear, again super clear. The helmet fits my head really well in a Medium. I also wear the medium ARO5 and medium Lazer and Giro helmets.

It's a quite, well fitting helmet that fits me great. I like it! Yes, it's expensive but at least it has two really nice visors and case.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley ARO7 helmet [Andy STi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
would anyone mind putting it on a kitchen scale to get the real weight with Visor?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can anyone comment on the forward visibility when your head is tucked? There looks to be a black piece right on the forehead that would block field of vision when your head was tilted forward.

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://www.triforceteam.com
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley ARO7 helmet [asellerg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered a Medium and got it today - tried it out at home and its going to be too tight for my head (i wear Medium on Giro Vanquish and Synthe)

In terms of fwd visibility it seems to have a much **TALLER** lens than my Vanquish, so I'll assume that it has better visibility from a tucked position.

One thing I'll mention:

When trying the helmet on, i tried to take the lens on and off to see how difficult it would be to replace while in mid-ride/transition from the down to the up position, or viceversa. In the process, one of the tiny magnets lodged in the helmet decided to come out. Nothing major that a little glue wont fix - but Imagine this happening mid race and losing that Prizm lens. Not cool for a $$$ Helmet.

3toronto Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my only question... is this thing worth $500!?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley ARO7 helmet [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question. If you plan to spend that much you should know it will make you faster (or at least not slower). This requires some aero testing as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley ARO7 helmet [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what size the large is? Would it fit a 7 1\2 head???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
any generic testing been done on this helmet? is it one of those helmets, like the aerohead, that just 'works'? the fact that frodo and tony martin have a tail put on this thing makes one cautious pulling the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley ARO7 helmet [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
any generic testing been done on this helmet? is it one of those helmets, like the aerohead, that just 'works'? the fact that frodo and tony martin have a tail put on this thing makes one cautious pulling the trigger.

By some accounts (Jim@EROsports most notably) the tailed version is actually slower. I wouldn't read much into some pros choice of equipment.

Quote Reply
Re: Oakley ARO7 helmet [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure I'm the only one who's been able to test it outside of sponsored riders. It's tested a bit slower on the 3 or 4 people I tested.

From what I've been told, they only made the longer tail version because Frodo requested it. I don't know if he ever tested the short tail; I was left with the impression he didn't, but who knows? Tony's used both now, and he seems to go back and forth. I know they made about 100 of them, but the one I saw/tested was clearly not production quality. Perhaps they've refined the design a bit?

Interesting point about the Aro 7, and I don't think Oakley would mind me typing this. Not a single moment of aero testing was done during the design of their helmet. It was 100% CFD. Seems to have worked out well for them as it continues to test fast.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley ARO7 helmet [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was interesting Josh Amberger was wearing a long tail ARO7 as well as Frodo at IM Frankfurt and he had done at the Switzerland 70.3 race as well in June. There must be a few available to athletes about and surely they are testing them as being faster for their position.

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/license/970720808

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/license/970719502
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley ARO7 helmet [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Pretty sure I'm the only one who's been able to test it outside of sponsored riders. It's tested a bit slower on the 3 or 4 people I tested.

From what I've been told, they only made the longer tail version because Frodo requested it. I don't know if he ever tested the short tail; I was left with the impression he didn't, but who knows? Tony's used both now, and he seems to go back and forth. I know they made about 100 of them, but the one I saw/tested was clearly not production quality. Perhaps they've refined the design a bit?

Interesting point about the Aro 7, and I don't think Oakley would mind me typing this. Not a single moment of aero testing was done during the design of their helmet. It was 100% CFD. Seems to have worked out well for them as it continues to test fast.

Hi,

I am very much enamored with the "look" of this and the Catlike Rapid Tri....

1. How much slower than say the P-09 (with glasses and no plug) or Aerohead (with lens)?
2. Do you have classes of people you can bin - broad shouldered, narrow shoulders, big/long/etc.

And, thanks! Intrigued. The Aerohead MIPS and I had a "too hot" 40k recently and I am looking for relief. Road temp was well over 100 with 100% humidity, and not surprisingly caused me to significantly overheat....so I am looking for an "airy/cool" and fast helmet....have read your other threads and value your thoughts a lot - and reply to me that the P-09 was the safe helmet but part of me wants to explore the newest technology...

One poster here in another thread in response to me said the Oakley ARO 7 was not hot on her, but the fit was not ideal so she was not going to use it going forward...

Anyone on this forum with an ARO 7 find it hot? Compared to an Aerohead mips? Super thanks. Looking for free speed...probably need to just ride more.. :)

Jeff
Last edited by: jcb-memphis: Jul 9, 18 20:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I haven't seen it up close, can you swap out the magnet(s) yourself with a stronger one? Rare earth magnets are cheap on Amazon. Provided they are standard magnets, seems like a small fix. Maybe Oakley will get wind of this & fix it for their next run of helmets.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley ARO7 helmet [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quite hot, the air flow in the head is not so good. By the way I live in hot country.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley ARO7 helmet [UnUnU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UnUnU wrote:
Quite hot, the air flow in the head is not so good. By the way I live in hot country.

How many races have you done in the ARO 7? Did it give you any noticeable time advantage/speed - was it comfortable.

Does anyone else have time in the ARO 7?

TIA
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley ARO7 helmet [jcb-memphis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one ride in 30 degree weather (celcius for us Canucks - so you do the math) but it was too windy to stay aero safely, so had to cut it short. it was hot enough that i was sweating inside the helment and dripping into the lens, but its worth noting that i was not able to pick up much speed due to the strong wind.

Have an event this sunday and will test it out for the 40km ride. Will report after.

Said it once, and will say it again though - IF I WOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO SEE THE MAGNET SYSTEM PRIOR TO PURCHASING THE HELMET I WOULD NOT HAVE PURCHASED IT.

Oakley Reps - take note ^^^^^^^^^^^^

So there might be an ARO7 for sale soon :-)

3toronto Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley ARO7 helmet [CBass@3toronto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if the ARO7 will be available in size small in the future?

Thanks very much in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley ARO7 helmet [CBass@3toronto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The magnet system is indeed a big fault on the helmet. Not only the magnets fall off, but the bracket is flimsy and brittle and starts to crack. The best is that Oakley doesn't sell spare vizors. For a helmet of the price, it's unbelievable and leaves a bad taste on the brand. I'm super unsatisfied with the vizor AND the service. Other than that, great and comfortable/fast helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley ARO7 helmet [walther75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi! Anyone knows if Oakley has plans of launching the long tail aro 7 helmet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any information on the certification of the ARO7? There is not a CPSC sticker inside and I struggling to find any additional information about European certifications either ...

Thanks!