Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zwift adding NYC
Quote | Reply
I know this may not be too exciting for most but after 11 years, I am moving away from NYC next week and Central Park is one place I will miss for cycling. And as an added bonus, I won't have to worry about errant tourists!

https://zwiftinsider.com/cav-leaks-images-of-a-new-zwift-course/

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift adding NYC [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that the other day, too - funny, since I've lived here for 10 years and consider NYC to be one of the worst places for cycling (tourists, traffic, you name it)! I guess that doesn't matter for a virtual world, though. Looks pretty cool.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift adding NYC [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP is one of the best places to train. Used to swing by around 8pm and spend 1.5-2hrs doing loops. Of course, there were tourists, but usually not at that time, even in the summer

would be really cool if one gets to cycle from CP to Battery. Even cooler if one could trek up Bear Mountain as well. I think the founder used to live in NYC, thus the course?
Last edited by: echappist: Jul 12, 18 8:46
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift adding NYC [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 2nd favorite loop that I've ever ridden is still Central Park (2nd to the Acadia National Park loop road in Bar Harbor, Maine). There was nothing more enjoyable than hammering laps in Central Park at 10-11pm. It really is an unreal feeling and a great place to train when you don't have to worry about tourists.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift adding NYC [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always wondered about the other end of the clock but I have found it just as enjoyable in the early mornings. Only problem I ever encountered was a raccoon that I just fixated on and drifted into.

Btw, now that most of it is repaved, especially that west side downhill, it is super fast and enjoyable!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
My 2nd favorite loop that I've ever ridden is still Central Park (2nd to the Acadia National Park loop road in Bar Harbor, Maine). There was nothing more enjoyable than hammering laps in Central Park at 10-11pm. It really is an unreal feeling and a great place to train when you don't have to worry about tourists.
I've never even thought about riding in Central Park at night - I usually try to bike in the morning (5:30/6am start, ending when the cars start entering the park). How's the lighting at night?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift adding NYC [JonathanNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its perfectly fine. It definitely helps to know the roads and where the potholes are, though if it got repaved (moved away after I graduated), it should be perfectly fine. It gets dim in a few spots like over by the harlem pool and some spots on the west side but it is honestly a blast. I always wore my yellow tinted glasses and I think they helped.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Its perfectly fine. It definitely helps to know the roads and where the potholes are, though if it got repaved (moved away after I graduated), it should be perfectly fine. It gets dim in a few spots like over by the harlem pool and some spots on the west side but it is honestly a blast. I always wore my yellow tinted glasses and I think they helped.

ah ha, a fellow student in nyc. Did you do collegiate bike racing or triathlons when you were there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't get me wrong - CP is definitely an urban cycling oasis, but if you don't live close by and can't get there during the best hours, it is a major PITA

I think they should add a Prospect Park loop and definitely some cycling along the Hudson and Bear Mountain. Skip NJ though except for River Rd ;)

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh, I never would have thought of biking in CP late at night. I'll have to give that a shot this weekend when I need to cram a ride in.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
I know this may not be too exciting for most but after 11 years, I am moving away from NYC next week and Central Park is one place I will miss for cycling. And as an added bonus, I won't have to worry about errant tourists!

https://zwiftinsider.com/cav-leaks-images-of-a-new-zwift-course/
It's reassuring that after the subscription fee increase last November, we're now seeing a steady uptick in new course features (Alpe du Zwift, new Worlds course, this NYC course) and steady quality of life improvements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran XC and track for columbia for 3 semesters, climbed for a year, then raced with the club triathlon team for my senior year. Never actually did any bike racing which was kind of disappointing but biking was at that point the newest of my triathlon skills so I just stuck with tris.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ah, very cool! Also an alum here (though nowhere nearly as talented). I really missed CP when I moved to DC, but I was fortunate that there's another park (albeit much smaller) I can use for training. Now i'm in the 'burbs, I wish there were a park loop like CP or Hains (park in DC) where I can just get in a decent 2-hour workout...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:

wow i share this sentiment exactly. Acadia park loop is so freaking amazing. Central park at 6am is a race course!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe, just maybe, they'll include the redhook crit course! and if you pair your di2 to the app it'll disable gear shifts
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift adding NYC [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
maybe, just maybe, they'll include the redhook crit course! and if you pair your di2 to the app it'll disable gear shifts

Only if you get your partner to stand beside the trainer and throw you into the wall every few laps for the full effect ;)
Quote Reply