Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The best faking it to make it you've come across
Quote | Reply
I'm not talking about course cutters or the like, but other things.

Have you ever met someone who you knew was doing things like:
-10mph GPS autopause
-not counting zeros in power readouts
-pretended to be a member of a team they weren't on (not just the kit, actually said so)
-trickery when running to get good avg paces or something
-swimming with a massive current

I know we have. I just met a guy who openly admitted to having a 10mph autopause on his GPS. Same one who also openly brags about "20mph ride SOLO!!!". On the group ride, his route came up about a full mile shorter and 10min faster than the other riders.

Other one: There is a lottery to go to a company sponsored fondo. A guy won it. It's a 100mi and about 6000ft fondo. I guessed, given the guy's weight and actual bike exercise, he's never finished the fondo. He's won the lottery before years back, won last year, and is paying his own way this year and asking for donations to the charity. Out of curiosity, I looked up the finisher times.........no finish time last year. This when it states on the lottery entry "you're responsible for training to be able to complete the challenge, if not, please do not enter". Then gets back and you see all the glossy photos of him at the event, without a finish time.

What you got?
Quote Reply
Re: The best faking it to make it you've come across [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got no concern for people desperate for attention.
Quote Reply
Re: The best faking it to make it you've come across [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second this. If I see that someone is obviously lying about their workouts, speed, or whatever I just shake my head and carry on with my day.

Too busy stroking my own ego....kidding.

Kind of.
Quote Reply
Re: The best faking it to make it you've come across [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I exclude "0" from average cadence calculations. Does that count?

I'll occasionally crop out the beginning and/or end of a ride if it includes stop-and-go in town riding to get to the "good stuff."

I'ts not intentional, but if I run laps on the local track with my ancient Forerunner 310XT, it'll read ~6% more distance that actual.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite is when people have so little confidence in themselves that they initiate (or redirect) threads on Slowtwitch to bag on others so that they feel better about themselves. My two favorites:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...in_50_days_P6671856/

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ome_across_P6677874/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd probably describe every one of my swim workouts to be an attempt at "fake it till I make it". Hopefully someone mentions me here.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand the title of the thread.
What you describe is not "Faking it to make it" - It's just lying. Either to oneself or others.

Can't say I've ever noticed anyone doing any of those things. Maybe I don't know anyone who does, maybe I'm easily fooled, or maybe I just don't care enough to notice. To be honest most people I train or race with are much less interested in data than me. Certainly not to bothered about KOMs, average speeds, or average paces for training...... They do however take their race results and PBs seriously!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
guy's weight and actual bike exercise

1 Let it go.

2 WTF is "bike exercise"?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: The best faking it to make it you've come across [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point, thread title is misleading. Oops.

Also correct when you guys say to ignore it. The online world doesn’t ultimately matter anyway. It’s just sad when you see it in your own group.

Fwiw, you really need to exclude cadence zeros for accurate reporting. Power is opposite, to grab the true physiological cost you need to include zero since you are recovering.
Quote Reply
Re: The best faking it to make it you've come across [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:

I'ts not intentional, but if I run laps on the local track with my ancient Forerunner 310XT, it'll read ~6% more distance that actual.

My 935 and 920 both do that as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"20mph solo ride" LOL

Someone should shatter this guy's reality and tell him that's not actually fast. Does he actually upload these rides to strava?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a curious story kinda rooted in "pinks" (like racing for pink slips)

A guy advertised his bike stating "This bike took me to age group wins" And talking to him on the phone he had set "fastest bike splits, running 42min 10ks after" and hammering his AG. I was honestly and seriously impressed. He took a year off just to race and sounded ruthless.

So again quite sincerely I called him up to arrange to see the bike and offered a proposal. I said "Hey I'll bring my TT bike and we'll hit the road, if you drop me like a &@^@ I'll happily pay your asking price. If you don't then you have to accept my gentlemen's offer."

You know like race for some bills. What happened next.. shocked me - it really did.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
What you got?

Better things to do.
Quote Reply
Re: The best faking it to make it you've come across [narcomoeba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My swim workouts always kind of look faked. Strava cuts out all the rests, so that makes me look faster anyway. Then I do quite a few 25m of something, then 25m of something else in a 50m lane (e.g. 25m breast 25 crawl). My watch almost always counts that as 100m. I often have Strava average paces of my swims that I could hardly actually swim for 100m!

Shaming someone who can't ride 100miles with 6000ft of climbing seems harsh. If he gave it his best, he could still be proud of his effort. Most people will never ride 100 miles in a day.
Quote Reply
Re: The best faking it to make it you've come across [narcomoeba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
narcomoeba wrote:
"20mph solo ride" LOL

Someone should shatter this guy's reality and tell him that's not actually fast. Does he actually upload these rides to strava?

Yes, with those titles.

I have no intention of interacting with anyone on the subject. They can do as they wish. The disappointment ultimately comes when you attempt a real race and cut your teeth on it real bad and have to ride back to the car "solo".

I finished mid pack my first race, but man was road racing eye opening and humbling. You thought you were "pretty quick" farting around on group rides. Then the real world spits you out.

The speeds attempting time trialing were eye opening also. All that work and decent aero and I think 26mph is doing ok. All the while a guy or gal blows past at 30+ mph. LOL. That was my other humbling experience.

I thought I could podium a Cat 4/5 time trial...........lol, foolish thoughts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

Fwiw, you really need to exclude cadence zeros for accurate reporting. Power is opposite, to grab the true physiological cost you need to include zero since you are recovering.

On second thought, maybe the guy who's been riding like...a year, but continually responds to posts as if he's an expert on nearly every subject even remotely pertaining to the sport.

I'd call that faking it until making it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

On second thought, maybe the guy who's been riding like...a year, but continually responds to posts as if he's an expert on nearly every subject even remotely pertaining to the sport.

You're mean!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

No shit. Speaking as someone who has "made it," I can say that it's not people on this side of things posting pussy stuff like Mr. Sheep. Folks that are so desperate to show they know their shit rarely do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My life
My relationships
My entire undergraduate college

So far so good but only time will tell haha
Quote Reply