Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zwift Competitor - Road Grand Tours
Quote | Reply
Here is a Zwift competitor

https://www.roadgrandtours.com/

https://www.bikeradar.com/...tours-cycling-52303/

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Competitor - Road Grand Tours [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone used it? I just downloaded the software and might give it a shot tonight.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Competitor - Road Grand Tours [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used it for about 10 minutes. I did one of the long climbs...don't remember the name. Only 3-4 other people and awful graphics. It was super boring and really nothing compared to zwift. I gave up on it pretty quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done 9 rides on RGT since May 15th and I'm pretty impressed. Certainly not as robust or full-featured as Zwift but, considering it's obviously still in beta, it seems very solid and reliable. The courses are pretty good and even the criterion courses (Canary Wharf and 8Bar Crit) are much more engaging that I expected.

If you want a third alternative, give VirtuGO a try. A couple of interesting routes but they've got a long way to go to catch up to Zwift or RGT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been riding it occasionally since last November, and hope to do a review on it soon (along with some other training software solutions), but have been swamped.

RGT has a lot of potential and has evolved quite a bit since I first fired it up. I like the routes. It seems to have a bit more emphasis on the graphics than Zwift, but will also need a bit more stout system to really max out the eye candy. My 5 year old laptop didn't have what it takes to run RGT as well as I would like.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cancelled zwift for the summer, and using RGT (can't beat the current cost) for the 1-2 indoor rides per week on rainy days. I expect i'll go back to zwift for the extra racing aspect over the winter, but will make that decision in October.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive been using it a fair amount. Initially there were no other riders. They have added 'Bots' which mean there are typically 10-20 riders on a course at a given time. They recently opened up to more subscribers, and that has brought more people, so more real riders. The roads are real roads, like Mont Ventoux, the Stelvia, Cap Fermentor and others, and I am running low res graphics so, no they are not great, but the 4K graphics are Wow! There are two circuits, Canary Wharf (which is basically a rectangle) and the 8Bar course, which has I think 8 corners ... go figure haha!. They have recently started to have 'events' and there has been some issues, but the staff is very attentive to the users to address any issues. They have also added Strava sprint segments to the courses, some are flat and some are climbs, adds to the 'fun.' My take is they are going more for realism as a differentiation from Zwift.

I am using a Kickr for RGT, and running the program on a Microsoft Surface Pro, certainly no graphics powerhouse, but I have lowered the resolution and it works quite well. Hopefully as they progress, there will be a tvOS version, and I'll get a 4K Apple TV unit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish someone would make a game. Not a group ride - throw out the whole notion of simulating an outdoor ride and give me a game. Halo or Assassin's creed or the like. And no, I have no idea how that would work - it would clearly not actually be either of those or using a normal controller, but let me do something other than have a digital group ride.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Competitor - Road Grand Tours [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, like maybe a controller that has motion sensors, so as you ride, you are 'chasing' whatever is the point of the game, and the motion controller that you hold lets you steer, and fire whatever weapon neeeed. That would be a kick!
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Competitor - Road Grand Tours [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clydecat wrote:
Oh, like maybe a controller that has motion sensors, so as you ride, you are 'chasing' whatever is the point of the game, and the motion controller that you hold lets you steer, and fire whatever weapon neeeed. That would be a kick!

Right! The old Expresso bikes had a very bad game that involved riding around and picking up coins of the right color so you could then ride over these Chinese dragons and destroy them. It was a horrible and un-fun game (in large part because it took far too long to get anywhere), but it was refreshing that it was at least trying to be something else. There are a lot of one-button games in existence, between the old console/ arcade games and the new touch-screen games, and there could even be control based on smoothness of cadence or power to go with a controller or USB keyboard. But something different from a computerized group ride. How many of those do we need? And I still wind up rolling my eyes, loading up a workout in TR, and watching Netflix, because that's more engaging than Zwift for me.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I've used them a bunch of times. I like it.

I thought the graphics kicked zwifts ass, and since I'm not particularly into zwift 'races' or group rides, that USP doesn't draw me there, the scenery does. I feel it could have benefitted from more bots (like zwift used in the old days).

GrandTours at zero cost beats zwift hands down - esp after I've been with them for a while and I'm not keen on my subs going up after I was an early adopter. To have my loyalty rewarded with increased subs left a bad taste.

I'll keep switching between zwift and RGT over winter, then I'll probably turn zwift off and just use RGT when I do occasionally do an indoor ride in summer.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Competitor - Road Grand Tours [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
I wish someone would make a game. Not a group ride - throw out the whole notion of simulating an outdoor ride and give me a game. Halo or Assassin's creed or the like. And no, I have no idea how that would work - it would clearly not actually be either of those or using a normal controller, but let me do something other than have a digital group ride.

maybe somebody could make it a video game like the old game Paper Boy where you ride around delivery papers. You it could have challenges as to how fast you could ride and deliver papers. Or you’re a rickshaw operator picking up customers and taking them around town
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dropped Zwift for the summer since I'm not doing many indoor rides now. RGT is what I'll be using for those few trainer rides. I don't find it as engaging as Zwift but the price is certainly right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Downloaded this today. Extremely impressed - can’t complain about free (for now) either

Zwift has a competitor on their hands!
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Competitor - Road Grand Tours [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Toby wrote:

maybe somebody could make it a video game like the old game Paper Boy where you ride around delivery papers. You it could have challenges as to how fast you could ride and deliver papers. Or you’re a rickshaw operator picking up customers and taking them around town

Anyone hear any news along this line? I thought I remembered something from dcrainmaker earlier this year, but maybe I'm imagining things. I get kind of bored in zwift, and something more video game-y would be great.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Competitor - Road Grand Tours [avatar78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Toby wrote:

Anyone hear any news along this line? I thought I remembered something from dcrainmaker earlier this year, but maybe I'm imagining things. I get kind of bored in zwift, and something more video game-y would be great.

Have you tried racing in Zwift? I agree that just riding around in Zwift is boring and I'd rather just watch TV.

For me, racing is a lot of fun and serious suffering on the bike (if you're into that sort of thing). I would hate it if they turned it into more of a "video game" like mario cart or something. I wish they would get rid of the power ups, it's just dumb to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Competitor - Road Grand Tours [bluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Had my first ride on RGT last night, it worked well, had its own look and feel v zwift. You select a course and can start in a few points or you last position. The courses are not super long but its in Beta at the moment. You could switch from a course to a new course very easily though without leaving the game, so its not hard to link a few courses up for your training ride. The avatar stops pedaling around corners and you get slowed down to make the bend,

I liked it, since it is free now then worth a look. As its heading into winter (Australia) it provides me some new virtual courses to play with and keep me interested over the colder months.

It doesnt have many people on there now and no racing for those who like that, but its good for a training sesh.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Competitor - Road Grand Tours [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gilliga wrote:
..It doesnt have many people on there now and no racing for those who like that...

I'm been semi-quietly pushing the idea through a few friends to convince them to turn off all courses/maps for a weekend except one. Go old-school Zwift style as an experiment, and be public about it.

Right now the number of users are growing, and there are at least people on most maps - but with so many maps everyone is everywhere. Pick the Tuscany course (or something) and call it done for a weekend. In fact, there's even some races on them already. See what users think, and whether it makes it feel more communal. It's the single biggest complaint people have about RGT - it just feels empty. So, resolve that complaint in the only way you can right now: Cat herding.

Just my two cents...

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Competitor - Road Grand Tours [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would probably be good for the developer to see how it handles more people on a course.

I would like to see them have an Ironman bike course, just a long rolling course, maybe not a specific one but it would be good for those TT effort days and the many of us training for IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Competitor - Road Grand Tours [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They definitely need more people on there and a lot of organized rides.

They also need some sort of route options for the maps. If they are going to try to keep people on one per day, they need some options for flat vs hilly vs outright climbing. Some days I just want to do an easy recovery ride and I don't want any hills at all for a ride like that.
Quote Reply