Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tour De France Stage 6: Brest to "the wall of Brittany" (Mur de Bretagne)
Quote | Reply

Tomorrow's stage ends with a bit of a "wall" as the name suggests, or at least as big as a wall as you may find in Brittany, as this is not the Alps, nor Pyrenees, nor Vosges, nor Jura nor Massif Central.

There are a few 2K climbs at almost 7% including the last 2km, so I would imagine we will have some GC gaps. But this still looks like a Sagan or Alaphilippe stage!, but let's see. There is certain to be a breakaway, but BMC and Quickstep will both be motivated to keep or get yellow

GC after Stage 5

General classification after stage 5#Rider Name (Country) TeamResult1Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team18:22:00 2Tejay van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team0:00:02 3Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Quick-Step Floors0:00:03 4Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky0:00:05 5Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Quick-Step Floors0:00:06 6Bob Jungels (Lux) Quick-Step Floors0:00:09 7Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Sunweb0:00:13 8Søren Kragh Andersen (Den) Team Sunweb 9Rigoberto Uran (Col) EF Education First-Drapac p/b Cannondale0:00:37 10Rafal Majka (Pol) Bora-Hansgrohe0:00:52 11Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana Pro Team0:00:53 12Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team 13Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team0:00:55 14Mikel Landa (Spa) Movistar Team 15Chris Froome (GBr) Team Sky0:00:57 16Adam Yates (GBr) Mitchelton-Scott0:01:02 17Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Bahrain-Merida0:01:08 18Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale0:01:17 19Primoz Roglic (Slo) LottoNL-Jumbo 20Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) LottoNL-Jumbo
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jul 12, 18 4:39
Quote Reply
Re: Tour De France Stage 6: Brest to "the wall of Brittany" (Mur de Bretagne) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, this has Alaphillipe's name all over it, unless Valverda and Nibali decide to do something. If they do, the GC will neutralize and an attack by a good powerful climber will sneak away with the win.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Tour De France Stage 6: Brest to "the wall of Brittany" (Mur de Bretagne) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another rest day for Cav (and the other sprinters).

Lots of possible stage winners tomorrow. Alaphillippe is a safe bet. But Froome is going to surprise everyone (including me) by taking the stage. He'll serve notice that he's still someone to be reckoned with, and he will give the fans a chance to vent some of their unhappiness with him/Sky before the race heats up later in weeks 2 and 3.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour De France Stage 6: Brest to "the wall of Brittany" (Mur de Bretagne) [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
He'll serve notice that he's still someone to be reckoned with

You're referring to the person who's won the last 3 Grand Tours consecutively as if he's some kind of underdog?
Quote Reply
Re: Tour De France Stage 6: Brest to "the wall of Brittany" (Mur de Bretagne) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:

You're referring to the person who's won the last 3 Grand Tours consecutively as if he's some kind of underdog?
"I may be 57 seconds down on GC right now, but I'm still the big dog in this race!"

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour De France Stage 6: Brest to "the wall of Brittany" (Mur de Bretagne) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:

Well, he is supposed to be fried from the Giro, beat up from his stage 1 crash, psychologically traumatized by the WADA and old and over the hill....so all that to say, that's pretty well the perfect scenario where he takes 10 second more out of Quintana and others with the stage winner bonus times! Maybe like 2016 when he took off on the outrageos attack with Sagan, Bodnar and Thomas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29mc-Jt_jxI
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
trail wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:

Well, he is supposed to be fried from the Giro, beat up from his stage 1 crash, psychologically traumatized by the WADA and old and over the hill....so all that to say, that's pretty well the perfect scenario where he takes 10 second more out of Quintana and others with the stage winner bonus times! Maybe like 2016 when he took off on the outrageos attack with Sagan, Bodnar and Thomas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29mc-Jt_jxI

I think he'll try to cobble a few more mediocre days with minor time losses before he decides to make his big move.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think breakaway. bmc found out how hard it is to ride an ardennes like stage all day trying to control it. my guess is they'll bluff someone else into helping or else the break gets the yellow (if anyone in break is close enough). even better is break doesnt have anyone close to yellow but takes bonus seconds so GVA follows alaphillipe and phil gil. i'm going thomas de gendt.
i'm also betting the battle for this break is pretty intense.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour De France Stage 6: Brest to "the wall of Brittany" (Mur de Bretagne) [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it is long enough or steep enough for Froome. And that'd be alot of energy spent to beat alot of non-GC contenders, who will care alot more about the stage win, time bonus and potential yellow jersey.

Alaphillippe showed today, by going after time bonus, that he's keen on getting yellow jersey, and Quickstep will have Gilbert card to play as well as the team to keep things together to the end. I think I might be a little long for Sagan, particularly after how cooked he looked after todays stage. Valverde has been keeping low profile and should be in the mix. Would be interested to see if Sky lets Bernal go for it, although I'm not sure it suits his skill set.

No matter what, I think it's going to be great.

John Hartpence, Athlete & Coach
tripence@gmail.com, @coachpence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
trail wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:

"I may be 57 seconds down on GC right now, but I'm still the big dog in this race!"

I think Froome will make his statement, but not yet. I think he's going to stay sleepy until around stage 13-16ish and then as durianrider would say, "he's going to deliver a watt sandwich and say how do all you motherfuckers like that?"
Quote Reply
Re: Tour De France Stage 6: Brest to "the wall of Brittany" (Mur de Bretagne) [tripence] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think either alaphillippe or Thomas de Gent will take the stage.
I was thinking this is perfect for Aru but he isn’t there.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour De France Stage 6: Brest to "the wall of Brittany" (Mur de Bretagne) [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:

I'm guessing this is too much for sagan. But what about valverde, is this not right in his territory?
Quote Reply
Re: Tour De France Stage 6: Brest to "the wall of Brittany" (Mur de Bretagne) [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
KingMidas wrote:

I'm guessing this is too much for sagan. But what about valverde, is this not right in his territory?

I don’t think anyone who is a threat for the GC will be allowed by the other contenders. I think until a clear rider emerges from Movistar, Valverde NQ and Porte will all be treated as threats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Final 1.5km will be a fight between:
  1. Alaphilippe
  2. Gilbert
  3. Valverde
  4. Martin

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Tomorrow's stage ends with a bit of a "wall" as the name suggests, or at least as big as a wall as you may find in Brittany, as this is not the Alps, nor Pyranees, nor Voges, nor Jura nor Massif Centrale.

It's Pyrenees, Vosges and Massif central.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour De France Stage 6: Brest to "the wall of Brittany" (Mur de Bretagne) [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Final 1.5km will be a fight between:
  1. Alaphilippe
  2. Gilbert
  3. Valverde
  4. Martin

General consensus on the thread seems to be around Alaphilippe. If GVA launches Teejay, the latter can go into yellow if they think he has a better shot on the climb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, fixed...I should no better...was posting at 11 pm around getting some work done after watching yesterday's stage replay and England vs Croatia replay so slightly distracted.....now can you add some useful input to the thread about the actual racing rather than focusing on spelling one upmanship (I'm not French, so I will liberally butcher any French spellings as my free pass for putting up the thread in the first place).....on the other hand, I'm going for France on Sunday at 5 pm European time (and that's not about Cobbles in Roubaix).
Quote Reply
Re: Tour De France Stage 6: Brest to "the wall of Brittany" (Mur de Bretagne) [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today's break with riders from non contending wild card teams gets 4 min up the road before the first climb 40K in. I assume BMC will want to let these guys stay away and take all the bonus time at the intermediate climb and also at the final to give GVA the best chance to stay in yellow. Quickstep, will want to reign them in to give Alaphillippe and Gilbert a shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Another rest day for Cav (and the other sprinters).

Lots of possible stage winners tomorrow. Alaphillippe is a safe bet. But Froome is going to surprise everyone (including me) by taking the stage. He'll serve notice that he's still someone to be reckoned with, and he will give the fans a chance to vent some of their unhappiness with him/Sky before the race heats up later in weeks 2 and 3.

I'll admit I don't watch as much as I use to but isn't Froome pretty much always second best on these sorts of sharp, short climbs to the finish. Seems like he even gets gapped and loses time often.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour De France Stage 6: Brest to "the wall of Brittany" (Mur de Bretagne) [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
KingMidas wrote:

This is why I think Sagan will take it :) but it does scream Valverde, I agree

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to see Dan Martin go all out today. I love that guys all or nothing attacks.

What i'd really like to see is Geraint Thomas go on the attack and get the yellow, I think he is much more suited to this kind of racing then the long climbs, plus who wouldn't love seeing that drama in SKY. But that's never going to happen now that Porte is signing with Trek and G needs a SKY contract.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour De France Stage 6: Brest to "the wall of Brittany" (Mur de Bretagne) [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bujayman wrote:
I want to see Dan Martin go all out today. I love that guys all or nothing attacks....
Likewise I enjoy his aggression, but it's regularly at the expense of his overall ambitions. He's not the most tactically aware of riders!
I'd love to see him challenging at the top of the GC in the tour, but even when he doesn't make a tactical error, he always seems to have some major misfortune before or during the tour that takes him out of the running in one fell swoop. Last year it was Porte crashing into him on the Stage 9 Mont Chat descent.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour De France Stage 6: Brest to "the wall of Brittany" (Mur de Bretagne) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa, there we go. Quick step is going for it already

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: Tour De France Stage 6: Brest to "the wall of Brittany" (Mur de Bretagne) [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got this from the cyclingnew text feed at the halfway point

The bunch is now 3:25 down on the escapees. The sizeable Roglic group, meanwhile, is still more than a minute down on the rest of the peloton, and they will struggle to claw back that ground given Quick-Step's current rate of knots.

It seems like Quickstep are committed to the stage win attempt and trying to get yellow. I assume the sprinters are off the back minus Sagan who is hovering around?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
now to <2 miunutes, quick step is keeping it brisk but I think Roglic got back on then something happened as I was folding my clothes. He was the only contender caught in the back group so I think they stopped pursuing seriously. I think if 2 or 3 others were stuck in the back, Sky would have helped out and stretched it out more.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply

Prev Next