Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Direto or Hammer if cost was not an issue?
Quote | Reply
I already have a Tacx Vortex Smart with Favero Assioma Duo and would give the vortex to my wife and upgrade to a direct drive. I can get a hammer for £675 or a Direto for £600. What would you go for?
Quote Reply
Re: Direto or Hammer if cost was not an issue? [OllyOllyOlly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hammer. Direto has a poor wattage floor
Quote Reply
Re: Direto or Hammer if cost was not an issue? [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. My FTP is only 260 so do not know if the wattage floor would be that much of an issue. i was leaning more to the Direto as it is newer and would be expecting the Hammer to be replaced soon. Have all the firmware issues with the Hammer been sorted now?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as far as im aware yes. I looked into both before i ended up with a kick. FWIW if you havent seen, there is a kickr core model coming out. I would take a serious look at that. Has most of the bells and whistles as a normal kickr, just has fixed feet and simulates 16% graident instead of 20 etc. Minor things. The hardware is all the same.

In any case what turned me off the direto was any warranty aspect, i would rather deal with cyclops who have a very good rep compared to elite. RE: the wattage floor, you would be spending a lot of time in the small chainring. Some say that doesnt make a different and a watt is a watt. I am of the opinion that that isnt quite true and i wanted to do my workouts in the large chain ring up front which ruled the direto out if i wanted erg mode with high intervals and low rest sections. My FTP is the same as yours, the floor is still an issue even in, say, 53/25. From what i understand, you cant put the hammer in, say, 53/16 for example and hit a wide range of power. Similar to the kickr. The direto cant do this. You will need to be in a smaller gear to hit a large range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as an FYI, the wattage floor (for me at least) on the direto is around 110 on the big ring, 60 on the small. It ends up being not that big of deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto to the Wattage Floor issue. I would nix the Directo. The problem with Wattage Floor is that the trainer cannot go below a low resistance, and this affects you on low power rests between intervals.

For example, say you like to workout on your big CR in a middle gear for lower noise, clean chainline, and better flywheel feel. When a program tries to lower the resistance to 90W or 100W to rest between hard intervals, the trainer may not be able to go below 110W. You could shift to your small CR to accommodate, but that kind of defeats the purpose of a smart trainer and ERG mode.

The lower your FTP, the more likely you would encounter this problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There were a few new Wahoo trainers introduced at Eurobike. Why rule those out?

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Direto or Hammer if cost was not an issue? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. The Kickr Core is a great shout and I may wait till September. There is a considerable wattage floor on the vortex which is annoying so may wait to see if the kickr solves this issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It does, I have the kikr v3, and sit in the 53 and in the middle of the rear cassette for every workout. I’m spewing my kikr is only 3 weeks old, had I known about the Core I would have waiTed for that and saved some coin
Quote Reply
Re: Direto or Hammer if cost was not an issue? [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
as an FYI, the wattage floor (for me at least) on the direto is around 110 on the big ring, 60 on the small. It ends up being not that big of deal.

Same. 50/34 front
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OllyOllyOlly wrote:
Thanks. My FTP is only 260 so do not know if the wattage floor would be that much of an issue. i was leaning more to the Direto as it is newer and would be expecting the Hammer to be replaced soon. Have all the firmware issues with the Hammer been sorted now?

My FTP isn't much more than that and the wattage floor is a complete non-issue for me on my Direto.

Caveat; I don't do all that many structured interval workouts, as I'm usually racing on Zwift for my quality indoor work. But on the few VO2 interval workouts I've done, I don't believe my rest has been less than 50% FTP so not a big deal.
Quote Reply