Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Alberto Contador 458 watts @ 62 kilos for 20 minutes
Quote | Reply
= Not too shabby lol.
Saw he posted in his IG.
Over 7.3 watts/kilo FOR 20 MINUTES!
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Contador 458 watts @ 62 kilos for 20 minutes [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So a FTP of 435 watts.

Which would put him on a 7.02 W/Kg FTP... that's insane!
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Contador 458 watts @ 62 kilos for 20 minutes [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that including the motor?

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Much as admire him for some things he's done e.g. for overcoming the dual leadership at Astana with LA back in the day, I can't help but look at something like that with a mental asterisk next to it.
And this is so often the problem... :-(
Last edited by: zamm0: Jul 12, 18 3:21
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Contador 458 watts @ 62 kilos for 20 minutes [IvarAlmere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given Contador's more explosive riding style, I suspect that using 95% of his maximal 20 min power would overestimate his actual FTP somewhat.

That said, these numbers remind me of the comments of somebody "in the know", who said that the average cycling fan doesn't really understand what is truly possible (partially as a result of weight loss).
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Contador 458 watts @ 62 kilos for 20 minutes [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zamm0 wrote:
Much as admire him for some things he's done e.g. for overcoming the dual leadership at Astana with LA back in the day, I can't help but look at something like that with a mental asterisk next to it.

When you talk to the guys that were on the team way back then, they say it was not a pleasant time.
But a common theme is that the problem wasn't LA but rather JB.
Most of the people have nothing but good things to say about Contador.
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Contador 458 watts @ 62 kilos for 20 minutes [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
zamm0 wrote:

When you talk to the guys that were on the team way back then, they say it was not a pleasant time.
But a common theme is that the problem wasn't LA but rather JB.
Most of the people have nothing but good things to say about Contador.

It must have really been interestig to be on the team of JB + LA + AC. Imagine what the team bus was like?

As for AC's 20 minute power, did he just post that from a post retirement ride. If so, the guy is in pretty good shape for a retired guy.

Marcag, if you are in France on the team bus tell Vino we'll straighten out his swim leg for the 70.3's.
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Contador 458 watts @ 62 kilos for 20 minutes [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There’s not enough blood bags in the world to get me even remotely close to that number so I’m still impressed.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Contador 458 watts @ 62 kilos for 20 minutes [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
There’s not enough blood bags in the world to get me even remotely close to that number so I’m still impressed.

Maybe if you get a tranfusion from a 60% bag that was destined for Bjarne Riis before his infamous 60%HCT fuelled stage win on Sestriere in 1996 when he dropped Indurain like a rock.
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Contador 458 watts @ 62 kilos for 20 minutes [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]

It must have really been interestig to be on the team of JB + LA + AC. Imagine what the team bus was like?[/quote]A person would fail a drug test just by inhaling the air on that bus.........
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Contador 458 watts @ 62 kilos for 20 minutes [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
That said, these numbers remind me of the comments of somebody "in the know", who said that the average cycling fan doesn't really understand what is truly possible (partially as a result of weight loss).

This isn't for Andy, he just mentioned weight. For weight loss, I'm a believer.

I feel for clubbie riders and folks like me just farting around, getting your weight to an athletic place can be the "x factor" lots of folks are missing out on having a little more fun and capability on the bike. I bet a lot of A-group ride riders can do 20min in the 225 to 275w range. But, if you weigh 180 to 200lb and I weigh 150 or even 145 in race weight...have fun.

We work together but regroup on hills. I wouldn't be able to "get away" by any distance worth it on the flat. But on the hills, I can usually put 1min on the group per 3min of hill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is nice to know that all I have to do is lose 30 lbs and improve my best ever 20 power by 120 watts. I think I will keep my day job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is insane. He does not say that is his current fitness - he implies that was taken in a year he won Le Tour. Given photo quality, perhaps 2010, so I suppose I should say "won".

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Contador 458 watts @ 62 kilos for 20 minutes [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: USCoregonian: Jul 12, 18 6:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The power values by themselves are not that exceptional but the combination with the weight really makes it stand out. And, to win the Tour, you gotta be able to deliver that power day after day after day (or close to it) - whereas the classics guys have maybe a bit extra explosive power but can't deliver that for more than 2-3 days in a row.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently that chap knows how to ride a bike and has a couple of watts in the legs. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Contador 458 watts @ 62 kilos for 20 minutes [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
It is nice to know that all I have to do is lose 30 lbs and improve my best ever 20 power by 120 watts. I think I will keep my day job.

with a little Spanish beef you can do it !!
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Contador 458 watts @ 62 kilos for 20 minutes [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so w/kg?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I must say, I do miss AC as he made racing so exciting. Plus, just beautiful to see him riding a bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Contador 458 watts @ 62 kilos for 20 minutes [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
these numbers remind me of the comments of somebody "in the know", who said that the average cycling fan doesn't really understand what is truly possible (partially as a result of weight loss).

Just an FYI, this is the thread that kicked off the private conversation in which the above sentiment was expressed (not by Hunter):

https://groups.google.com/...7WAHa2k/0Qk8Y53kDssJ
Quote Reply