Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Water temps above 76 and below 83... do you go wetsuit?
Quote | Reply
IMLP water temps are hovering around the 76 mark at the moment. I was curious how many of you wear the wetsuit above 76 but below 83, and if not (other than because you have potential for an award or Kona) why?
Quote Reply
Re: Water temps above 76 and below 83... do you go wetsuit? [island rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Until the day I'm shooting for a podium I'll be swimming in a wetsuit. Especially in fresh water. But I'm a terrible swimmer. For me personally it's all about setting myself up for the best day possible.

The exception? Cozumel. Swam it in jammers.
Quote Reply
Re: Water temps above 76 and below 83... do you go wetsuit? [island rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, mainly because I dislike swimming in a wetsuit in general but also because I'd probably feel a bit too warm swimming in a wetsuit in warmer water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I follow the USAT guidelines for awards. 78.1 or higher, no wetsuit, but anything under regardless of air temps or anything else you will see me in a full sleeve ready to go. If I choose to do a triathlon, I'm there to race, even if the odds are that I will have zero chance of even seeing what the podium looks like much less getting to stand on it, I choose to follow the same rules and guidelines as the other AG's who are racing to win.

Now I do have friends who will wear a wetsuit up to the temp it's not allowed and could care less about an award or a podium, be it they are looking for a personal best on the distance, or just showed up to complete a triathlon instead of racing the field, or they freak out swimming far off the shore in nothing more than a tri suit and want that safety cushion of buoyancy. I respect that, to each their own.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will always wear a full sleeve suit if allowed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I did IM Florida at the 76 degree limit the wetsuit was too hot for me. Sleeveless would have been better.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only every year at Buffalo Springs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bit of a tangent but I’d like to “cry like a little biatch” and complain a bit about wetsuit temps (admins can move my post if they want). 78 is way too warm for a wetsuit, but when I was racing AG I’d the water was 77.9 you basically have to wear it to stay competitive, since your competition will put it on. Meanwhile the pro temperature is 68, which I think is absurdly cold. I can’t imagine doing a training swim in 69-70 degree water and not wanting a wetsuit. For all my complaints about WTC, the 71.5 pro cutoff is pretty good, but honestly let’s all just meet in the middle and get the globe on board with a 73 degree cutoff for everybody. End rant!

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never been gunning for an AG so no way I'd wear one above 76, but also is really dependent on air temps. I wore a wetsuit at the last (RIP) silverman which was "allegedly" barely legal, and regretted it from the first few strokes. Exited the water overheated and got exponentially worse from there.

If air temps in the 60s on exiting water (rare, I know) i'd consider it, but carefully.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I would never wear a full-sleeve in that scenario. I would wear a sleeveless if permitted. Easy way to check if it is too warm to swim sleeved is if you go out for a practice swim at race pace and you feel the urge to let it some water to help cool you down. Probably a good sign that it is better to go sleeveless.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the temp allows it, yes--unless it is a stipulation of not being eligible for something. Then if you want to race the *best guys* such as those going for a Kona slot, why would you race with an advantage/wetsuit--if they are not? It's not apples to apples then, and if you really need it to finish the swim...chances are you should be working on your swim more. Not to mention stepping back in distance and mastering that length of a shorter swim without assistance before stepping up to Ironman distance. If it is a shorter race, then you should still work on the swim to be competent enough to survive a swim without a wetsuit aide. You can dehydrate quicker in a wetsuit if you try to race when it is not *legal* temps, cramps can set in, overheating can happen in the water easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I wear my suit if I'm allowed to and eligible for awards.

I'm faster in my suit. It can get hot at the upper end of the "legal" limit, so I'll plan to hydrate on the way to t1 if I can. Some people stash flip flops, etc. I'm a super heavy sweater... so hydration is key for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Water temps above 76 and below 83... do you go wetsuit? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Basically I feel like I need to let in water at any temp above 68-70 degrees. That's why I bought a sleeveless and will likely swim in that over my full sleeved in almost every race. I know it is slower. However, I have a high sweat rate at every discipline and I want to keep my body as cool as possible. To the OP I wouldn't even wear my sleeveless at 75 or above. I just can't take that heat. Maybe some buoyancy shorts?

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consider this scenario: say the water is 76, all your competitors will wear a wetsuit, so you feel at a disadvantage if you don't. But, are you REALLY at a disadvantage? They may get a few minutes on you ON THE SWIM, and have used their legs less, but they've been basting in that neoprene. Everyone gets out of the water, and it is 75 degrees in the air, on the way to 94. The "advantage" they had coming out of the water is then more than tempered by the fact that they've sweated so much during the swim, and have that ticking them out of fluid/electrolytes balance with 9+ hours still to go. They carry more bottles and get less aero and the bike weighs more. How many people who wore a wetsuit at Boulder this year wish they'd reconsidered?

You get out of the water cool and refreshed, invigorated, and you don't experience a gush of sweat pouring out of your wetsuit. You don't have that heat headache. It will take you longer to heat up, and you're totally in balance in that first 1/4 or more of the bike and riding smooth and sure because your core temp wasn't high from being wrapped in 5mm of neoprene. Your competitors are already making calculations on their comfort and energy budget for the rest of the day.

My first OWS this year was in a lake that was 62. That was a bit painful without the wetsuit, but maybe only for 3-4 minutes, and even then, I'd probably have been good on the bike. Just yesterday, the same lake was in the low 70s, and my group all commented that it was almost too warm. Halfway through, we stopped and stood completely out of the same low-70s water and chatted for a few minutes before turning back. No one shivered.

Maybe it's just me, but I doubt anyone would need a wetsuit in a summer race if the water is above 70. Try a training day at the lake or wherever WITHOUT the wetsuit, and see how you feel. Don't make your decisions based on the first 5 minutes of your training swim. Make those in the LAST 5 minutes of your training swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Water temps above 76 and below 83... do you go wetsuit? [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you're exaggerating the effect of heat / sweat loss in the water. While yes, you might sweat more with it on, it's pretty easy to rehydrate. Not the mention, of someone isn't used to training in open water without a wetsuit, they're more likely to be less comfortable and potentially panic causing even more time loss.

And I did an Olympic at Boulder res last weekend. Most used wetsuits and personally, I didn't feel overheated at all.

Personally, I'm not getting in a lake without one regardless of the temp. With no real ability for OWS practice besides race day, I don't need something else to worry about.
Quote Reply