Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike bottle loss for 1/2 of Team BORA-Hansgrohe riding Specialized
Quote | Reply
Yesterday's Team Time Trial saw 4 of 8 riders lose their bottles after a speed bump. Every other team went over the same traffic furniture, but only this team had the bottle carnage. On the good side, all the team kept the rubber down after running over at least one of said bottles.

Has anyone else experienced projectile bottle launching on their Specialized rides?

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Bike bottle loss for 1/2 of Team BORA-Hansgrohe riding Specialized [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't it just be their choice of holder given QuickStep is on specialized as well? Not sure if the bottle holders have to be specialized given the bike sponsorship. If so, maybe different models? Unfortunately GCN only shows me the road bikes on their features so I wouldn't know!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Bike bottle loss for 1/2 of Team BORA-Hansgrohe riding Specialized [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello SallyShortyPnts and All,

How many cyclists actually take a drink during a 22 mile team time trail?

Is there a requirement to have a water bottle?

Is there a penalty for losing the water bottle?

Would the water bottle bounce off if empty?

Is the bike faster without the water bottle?

Is that kind of speculation a bridge too far?

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Bike bottle loss for 1/2 of Team BORA-Hansgrohe riding Specialized [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They appear to be the Specialized aero bottles. In the photo, number 114 shows the narrow bottle cage. The team shared bottles throughout their 39 minute trip; at the pointy end of the field at maximum effort, it cannot have improved their finish time to not get a drink whenever you want one.[/img]

I mention this because my fiance' is currently bike shopping and has his eye on this very model. If this is what looks like an undisclosed design flaw, his second choice is Pinarello. And everyone on Team Sky appeared to come home with their bottles ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
\I mention this because my fiance' is currently bike shopping and has his eye on this very model. If this is what looks like an undisclosed design flaw, his second choice is Pinarello. And everyone on Team Sky appeared to come home with their bottles ;-)

Bikes don't come with bottle cages or bottles.

Looks like they were using Tacx/Elite Chrono bottles and cages. But then so was pretty much everyone else.

Quote Reply
Re: Bike bottle loss for 1/2 of Team BORA-Hansgrohe riding Specialized [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why doesn't Specialized make a frame-specific Aero-Bottle for the Shiv?!
I'm still on the Transition with its specific "Virtue" Aero-Bottle and it is just plain awesome. In fact you see lots of people on other bikes use it even if they don't match those other frames as seamlessly.
E.g. Kienle had a "PowerBar" branded version on his Scott in previous seasons.

Apparently it is not being produced nor available to buy anymore, so I'm holding on to mine as best I can.

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Last edited by: flogazo: Jul 10, 18 23:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned by someone else you can see they are Elite Chrono bottles. I ejected the same bottle on a rough section of road in an IM but my bottle was heavy which didn't help as it was my gel bottle. Regardless I wouldn't trust the same bottle and cage again especially with essential nutrition...

PS If this is what it is coming down to whether to buy a Specialized or a Pinarello I think you need to realise for what will be a massive price difference you could spent less than $100 and get a better bottle cage setup...
Last edited by: Shambolic: Jul 11, 18 4:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first thought was probably using Camelback bottles... those things jump out of cages.

After reading through the thread, that doesn't appear to be the case... so my next thought is maybe they were weigted differently? If they were running full bottles they would jar more than a half empty bottle?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike bottle loss for 1/2 of Team BORA-Hansgrohe riding Specialized [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of the UCI frames are more aero WITH the bottle, not without. It's almost like cheating the "no fairing" and "tube section" rules.

So, they probably don't drink, it's there for other reasons.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike bottle loss for 1/2 of Team BORA-Hansgrohe riding Specialized [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

If it was there for other reasons it would be empty and not eject.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike bottle loss for 1/2 of Team BORA-Hansgrohe riding Specialized [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

If it was there for other reasons it would be empty and not eject.

Meet the weight requirements?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike bottle loss for 1/2 of Team BORA-Hansgrohe riding Specialized [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure water bottles are not on when the bike is weighed. Unless they are empty.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike bottle loss for 1/2 of Team BORA-Hansgrohe riding Specialized [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny, because the Elite Chrono bottle (plastic cage version) was the only thing that didn't eject on my bike at the Ironman Frankfurt cobbled section. I later met a guy with three of those on his bike (downtube, seat tube, behind the saddle). Mine was completely full at the time because I first tried to empty my behind-the-saddle bottle.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Bike bottle loss for 1/2 of Team BORA-Hansgrohe riding Specialized [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well Xlab makes one that is pretty similar...

https://www.xlab-usa.com/aero-tt.html
Quote Reply
Re: Bike bottle loss for 1/2 of Team BORA-Hansgrohe riding Specialized [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too use an Elite Chrono CX with plastic cage and love it! I've never ejected a bottle and hopefully that trend continues. I think under certain conditions any bottle can eject, which is why people use the 'ol elastic band trick to hold them safely in place.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a Shiv with that cage and bottle. For normal training I use a round bottle and cage because I've lost my bottle crossing over a sidewalk with one of those 2" lip curbs. I only use the aero bottle and cage for TT's. and I use it specifically because the bike is more aero with that bottle and cage than without. I don't drink during TT's, but keep just a bit of water in the bottle so I can have a sip before the start and after I finish without having to go to my car. My rule was always to never drink during TT's and "back in the day" took my bottles and cages off before a TT (Way before we had aero tubes and bottles). Then one day I did a 10 mile TT when it was over 100 degrees and thought I was going to die. I did a second one that day, put a bottle on and drank or poured the whole thing in 22 minutes or so.

For Sagan's case my first thought was along the lines of others here, "why do you need to drink in a 35' TT". However, they don't do their TT's early in the morning like most of us do. That TT started at around 3 or 4pm. I know that it's been warm, so it was probably easily 80-90 degrees for their TT. That makes a difference. Also, they need to think a lot more about staying ahead of the hydration and feeding curve because they raced 100+ miles the day before and will race 100+ miles the next day. And the day after that, etc. Also, in a TTT there is no penalty for sitting up a bit to take a drink when you're at the back, so why not?

As for the ability of that bottle cage to hold, 1 it's pretty weak when compared to something like an Arundel cage and 2, it's only holding the bottle from the sides compared to wrapping around the bottle like a round bottle and cage. Go pick up a 20 lb barbell at the gym in each hand. Wrap around the barbell with one hand and squeeze the barbell from the sides only with the other. That's the difference.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply