Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is it possible I am using the wrong muscles in the Aero position?
Quote | Reply
So, I completed the Ironman Austria last week. Swimming was OK with 00:58, first bike lap was Ok at 02:29 at 261W NP (at 93kg weight). Then the troubles started - I felt like I was pushing all out, but my powermeter was reading only 220W. Some time later 200W, in the end 180W. Cadence dropped from mid 80ies to high 60ies. I was really really scared I wouldnt make it over the mountains, however when I went up to the bars all was OK and I managed to get above 300W again.

So my question is: Is my bike fit crap so that I am using only certain muscles which are then completely overused? (it was feeling like the anterior chain and inner rotational muscles were completely done, my posterior muscles must have been underused when I can get uphill upright?) I am not using my strong posterior chain?

To get some things out of the way:
- I did not overpace. Last Ironman was 258W NP, and in February I did a 6.5h ride at 256W even prior to starting any interval training (although on a road bike with an undoutably perfect fit)
- I did a bike fit, 3 actually. The last one I am using now is from the same fitter that made the perfect fit on the road bike, but I never liked this tri bike fit. I did never have this much saddle setback
- I thought I was used to the position. I do all my indoor training on a tri bike, and some outdoor rides. But of course you are never as long in aero position as in a race (especially with traffic outdoors), also in 70.3s I didnt really notice the issue.

Small Video of me on my bike: https://splice.gopro.com/v?id=x2GpZm

And some pics:

Thanks for your help!

Quote Reply
Re: Is it possible I am using the wrong muscles in the Aero position? [Ben6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As your watts were dropping what was happening with your heart rate? Speed?
Quote Reply
Re: Is it possible I am using the wrong muscles in the Aero position? [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speed dropped from 36 km/h to 30 km/h, heartrate dropped from high 140ies to low 130ies, so basic training levels.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it possible I am using the wrong muscles in the Aero position? [Ben6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How was your run?

How did your nutrition/hydration go on the bike?

What saddle is that?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice bikes!!
I think you look too far back on the saddle there. I dunno, looks like you could shift forward more with everything
Quote Reply
Re: Is it possible I am using the wrong muscles in the Aero position? [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was going to say also, you look like you're very far back on that saddle
Quote Reply
Re: Is it possible I am using the wrong muscles in the Aero position? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
How was your run?

How did your nutrition/hydration go on the bike?

What saddle is that?

My run wasn't great due to some stomach issues. I cant guarantee that my loss of power can not partly be attributed to the stomach issues too, however specifically the feeling of the muscles and the big power output that was possible on the base bar (but not in aero) led me to believe that there are two different issues there.

Nutrition/hydration went smooth as planned, especially on the first lap. I thought about it a lot but I really did everything correctly here, with same strategy as last 2 races where I didn't have the above described problems

The Saddle is the Bontrager Hilo RXL, best saddle ever created. Too bad its discontinued.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it possible I am using the wrong muscles in the Aero position? [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Nice bikes!!
I think you look too far back on the saddle there. I dunno, looks like you could shift forward more with everything

thanks =)

I thought so too, but if I just move the saddle forward (and a little bit up to keep the distance from the Bottom Bracket), wouldn't I move my knee forward too? Right now it seems it sits right where it should, above the cleat in forward 90° position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
whats the saddle angle like?

my last TT I moved mine from ever so slightly flatter from pointing slightly down as i sound myself pushing myself back on it as I was working forward onto the nose, that with an extra few mm of height (<5mm) gained me nearly 15w.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it possible I am using the wrong muscles in the Aero position? [JRC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine should be perfectly horizontal, like the instructions. I think overall my comfort is quite OK, just the muscle, or as you put it, power output issue
Quote Reply