Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Car stank
Quote | Reply
Moved earlier this year and I basically have to drive a few miles to my daily bike start. This brings me to a new problem. After a few months on hot days my seat smells like used chamois. I plan on washing it but how do I prevent it? I was thinking some washable seat covers. Anyone else have suggestions?

PS I’m cheap, lazy, and forgetful so anything that’s a whole ritual might be out. Also it’s a decently new car that I’m making payments on so I’d rather avoid anything tacky (yeah I know seat covers are tacky).

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Car stank [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get yourself a good gallon jug of water from the convenience store. One that has a screw on lid so it will last longer. Fill that baby up and leave it in your car (or under your car if it will get too hot). When you get back from a ride use it to take a shower in your bibs. Then deck change into fresh clothes. Bring plastic bag for wet clothes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just put a couple garbage bags in the car, one to sit on one for your back.
Quote Reply
Re: Car stank [Devlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found a set of seat covers that are a soft gray outside with a waterproof backing. They fit with elastic straps, so look pretty low-tech, but absolutely work. I can't remember the name, but Google is your friend.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love to mountain bike and often have to drive to a trailhead - especially if it's a group ride. Between the muddy stripe on my ass and the funk of a few hours on the bike, I deal with the same issues.

My simple solution is to just keep a pair of shorts and a fresh t-shirt in the car. Depending on the venue, I may strip off my bib and go commando home, or pull the shorts on over the bibs and it still insulates the seats. And once you get used to pulling on a dry t-shirt before you get in the car, it's hard to do anything else. If you really want to get metrosexual about it - toss a pack of baby wipes in there and you can freshen up a bit too!

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Throw a bunch of old beach towels in the car to use as seat covers. Wash the bunch 1x per week and throw 'em back in the car. Uncomplicated.
Quote Reply
Re: Car stank [Macaroni Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Macaroni Kid wrote:
Throw a bunch of old beach towels in the car to use as seat covers. Wash the bunch 1x per week and throw 'em back in the car. Uncomplicated.

This.
Next time get leather seats.
Quote Reply
Re: Car stank [David_Tris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David_Tris wrote:
I found a set of seat covers that are a soft gray outside with a waterproof backing. They fit with elastic straps, so look pretty low-tech, but absolutely work. I can't remember the name, but Google is your friend.

Great call! There's a bunch out there that are waterproof/sweatproof. I got a couple from Happegear many years ago that are still in great shape. Washable and they go on/off in seconds. I think friends appreciate when I bring them in their vehicle for an athletic related endeavor as well instead of leaving my 'stank' in their car.

Last edited by: dangle: Jul 11, 18 10:01
Quote Reply
Re: Car stank [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTFU and warn women before they get in the car
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Qikcover is awesome, I own 2, highly recommend you look into one for your issue. Unfold, hook to seat, go. Waterproof and you can toss them in the wash as often as you want.

It's a friendly business, started by and managed by some great people locally in St. Louis, MO.

https://qikcover.com/

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get yourself a good gallon jug of water from the convenience store. One that has a screw on lid so it will last longer. Fill that baby up and leave it in your car (or under your car if it will get too hot). When you get back from a ride use it to take a shower in your bibs. Then deck change into fresh clothes. Bring plastic bag for wet clothes.
————————————————
This is basically what I do for every activity, surf/swim, trail running, cycling etc. I fill empty Tide bottles with water and I have a truck with a camper shell so I don’t use a plastic bag, just toss wetsuit, clothes in a bucket.
For trail running or long trips post activity I take it one step further. I have a big zip lock bag with baby shampoo/wash cloth and a small amount of water and do a wash before rinsing off.
I also have seat covers, I use these guys since there’re local but you can get cheaper ones online.
https://www.wetokole.com/

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Jul 12, 18 6:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a seat cover... it just lays on the seat and doesn't move around due to little rubber dots on the back side. I put it on my seat before I get back since I'm generally dripping when I get back from my track workout. I'm in that heavy sweater category at like 3.5+lbs/hr. I take it inside when I get home and hang it on my back deck to dry... wash it every now and then. It's very large as well... I drive a F-150 Limited with large front seats and it covers it no problem.

https://www.runsdone.com/

I bougth mine off of Amazon as I have a bunch of gift cards with a company Wellness program... relatively inexpensive and works great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you getting in your car still in your chamois? For chrissakes why?

Change right after riding. Use a towel, kilt or whatever to change. Wipes or the jug idea to freshen up if necessary.

I have a truck with a shell and a rack. I often leave a sunshower up on the rack and get a really good rinse off if I need it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stanky bike / triathlon gear can get nasty, but you don't know stank until you've left your hockey gear in your car for a few days. sometimes, I cant even stand be next to myself when I'm playing, stuff is downright gross
Quote Reply
Re: Car stank [Gskalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gskalt wrote:
stanky bike / triathlon gear can get nasty, but you don't know stank until you've left your hockey gear in your car for a few days. sometimes, I cant even stand be next to myself when I'm playing, stuff is downright gross

Or a pissed-in surfing wetsuit. Luckily not my car or suit, but a friend couldn't get the stink out of his car for months.
Quote Reply
Re: Car stank [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2nd, change clothes and wipe off old chamois cream with towel. I've found if I don't change out of dirty bike clothes, then I get saddle sores from the moisture.
Quote Reply