Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Am I to far forward?
Quote | Reply
I know this position is fast as 230 watts gets me 24.5-25mph over 40k. Is it to far forward though. Could I stay as aero and move back?

https://ibb.co/mRZZbo
Last edited by: Insilvis: Jul 10, 18 18:49
Quote Reply
Re: Am I to far forward? [Insilvis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a problem you are trying to solve?
Quote Reply
Re: Am I to far forward? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really. I have had others comment that I’m VERY far forward on the bike and that moving back may give more power. I do take a knock to my power but I think if I train in the position more it will come back. Just trying to make sure I’m not doing something really wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The curve or arch in your spine makes looking up the road and keeping your head low difficult. This is maybe why you are looking down. You might try coming back and down maybe 5 mm and see if that flattens your back. You might also tilt the nose of the seat down a couple degrees and see how that feels.

My gut instinct is that your saddle isn't quite right and your hips are rotated up for comfort. An improvement in comfort from tipping the saddle down would suggest a different saddle is needed, or maybe just minor adjustment of you are lucky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Insilvis wrote:
I know this position is fast as 230 watts gets me 24.5-25mph over 40k. Is it to far forward though. Could I stay as aero and move back?

https://ibb.co/mRZZbo

Are you too far forward compared to what? Sure you have the forward setback seat post, but it looks like you have a couple of inches you could still slam your seat forward even further if you wanted to. If you are aero and fast and it is comfortable and you can push good watts and the bike handles well then I would say who cares what other people say.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I think it looks like you could go back but I think your problem may be with your seat as it looks like you need to rotate your pelvis more and may help you moving your seat back. I find a bike fit starts with the correct seat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see anything obviously wrong with your fit. Looks very similar to mine. I wouldn't change a thing.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Am I to far forward? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 i dont see you being too far forward at all. My saddle setback is 2cm. And its an Adamo. I dont know if thats considered forward, but i find it comfy. If your the same why change?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Camera angle isn't perfect, but subtracting the 3 deg bike tilt gives approx. effective seat angle of 81 deg. So, not too forward. Note this is only an isolated comment on seat angle and not position as a whole, which looks to be solid (i.e., without pic/video at top of pedal stroke I can't comment on hip angle and/or crank length and how that may impact seat angle).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your position is better than probabaly 90+ percent of ST and 99 percent everyone else. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Generally I’m as far forward as the saddle can handle. Unless like with p5 right now, I can’t get as much drop as I want so I’m set back a bit more than normal to open my elbow angle. Really should of bought a 51. Oh well.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I to far forward? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I don't see anything obviously wrong with your fit. Looks very similar to mine. I wouldn't change a thing.

Look at his stomach. It is pulled in. This suggests that the stomach muscles are flexed in an attempt to roll the hips up/back to relieve pressure on his soft tissue. The problem would be that it restricts the depth that the diaphragm can push the organs down. This limits lung capacity. I would rather see what appears to be a beer gut, that could interfere with his thighs at the top of the pedal stroke, than that super narrow/tight looking abs.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I to far forward? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that it looks like my core is really working and in this photo in this exact moment it may have been. Hard to say what I was doing in that moment. I road three hours today with an hour of it a LT and it felt fine. Handling feels fine. There have been no red flags or alarms. If i focus on getting long on the bike then I think by back has less of an arch. I can try to get more photos.Other then the power loss in aero there has been no negatives. Just want to make sure I wasn't obviously doing something wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I to far forward? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
stevej wrote:

Look at his stomach. It is pulled in. This suggests that the stomach muscles are flexed in an attempt to roll the hips up/back to relieve pressure on his soft tissue. The problem would be that it restricts the depth that the diaphragm can push the organs down. This limits lung capacity. I would rather see what appears to be a beer gut, that could interfere with his thighs at the top of the pedal stroke, than that super narrow/tight looking abs.
As I quoted earlier do you not think this is due to the wrong saddle. I think with the right saddle and pressure relief he may rotate and the may want to push the seat back when seated correctly.
Quote Reply